I wrote this story awhile back about this man, and things happen to him and stuff. Blah, blah, blah. You know how it goes.. But I want to write songs about the entire story, as if they were in a concept album. Not unlike Scenes From A Memory (Dream Theater), Crack the Skye, (Mastodon) or Colors (Between the Buried and Me).

[Please don't bash these bands, because that's not what this thread is for.]

It's kind of a little project I'm doing for myself, but I really don't know where to start. Like, I've tried starting, but I always end up throwing them away. Any tips on writing to a concept?
You take various sized pots and pans, 2 wooden spatulas, sit yourself down on the ground, arrange said pots and pans around you, put on some music, and become the best drummer your kitchen has ever seen.
Hmm. I've done this twice, and both times it was right after something really significant happened in my life, and Vaguely connected it :P
Try that.
Perfect example is how in The Amory Wars (Coheed and Cambria's story thing), The dragonfly infects Coheed, who is represents Claudio's dad (And is also his dad in the story.. But yeah :P), who was a heroine addict.
So yeah. Try doing that. Assuming you want to do something fictional.

By the way, how could someone bash them, especially btbam? ****ing impossible.
If you're trying to write a series of songs all around the same concept (being this guys life), I would say you should go with every major event for the guy starting with the earliest one to the latest that shapes who he is/was. All the while, don't lose sight of the main concept. It'll probably be somewhat difficult to not go off on other tangents.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Thanks. That actually helps a lot!
You take various sized pots and pans, 2 wooden spatulas, sit yourself down on the ground, arrange said pots and pans around you, put on some music, and become the best drummer your kitchen has ever seen.