I'm getting an Epiphone SG G-400 guitar soon (I currently have an ESP KH-202 which I hate) and I've been thinking about replacing the pickups on it (just the bridge and neck; nothing in between is needed).

I mostly play Paul Gilbert style things - that's basically high up the neck shredding, but some riffing too. I do occasionally like to throw out some heavy metal, or some nice clean stuff too, though.

With that in mind, and a ~£100 budget, what would you choose?

I've been thinking of a DiMarzio PAF Pro for the neck and something else at the bridge; IronGear are cheap and I like the sound they make. Any input on that?

Thanks,

Jordan.
Quote by meticadpa
I'm getting an Epiphone SG G-400 guitar soon (I currently have an ESP KH-202 which I hate) and I've been thinking about replacing the pickups on it (just the bridge and neck; nothing in between is needed).

I mostly play Paul Gilbert style things - that's basically high up the neck shredding, but some riffing too. I do occasionally like to throw out some heavy metal, or some nice clean stuff too, though.

With that in mind, and a ~£100 budget, what would you choose?

I've been thinking of a DiMarzio PAF Pro for the neck and something else at the bridge; IronGear are cheap and I like the sound they make. Any input on that?

Thanks,

Jordan.
Haven't you already answered your question there? If you like the way they sound and the price is right...
Quote by al112987
Haven't you already answered your question there? If you like the way they sound and the price is right...

Well, sort of.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any other ideas for pickups that I might not have heard about or anything; I don't really know a huge amount about things like this (or guitars in general).
DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, maybe? They're good for high-gain stuff. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, maybe? They're good for high-gain stuff. =P

Yep, I do really like them, though they are rather expensive.

Do you think it'd be best if I just bought the PAF Pro for the bridge first, then saved up for the Super Distortion?
Quote by meticadpa
Yep, I do really like them, though they are rather expensive.

Do you think it'd be best if I just bought the PAF Pro for the bridge first, then saved up for the Super Distortion?

Really? Musician's Friend has them for, like, $75-80 CDN. o_o And I don't know, I've never played on a PAF Pro, but what I'd do in your place is wait 'til I got the money for all the pickups and the guitar THEN buy, to save you the trouble, and to be sure you don't end up finding the PAF unsatisfactory for a bridge pickup(albeit getting worse than the stock Epi pickups for shred is a little...hard to do. =P). But if you're in a bit of a bind for time(IE you're gigging over the summer and you want that KH out of your way), I'd just do that and hope for the best.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Stupid UK prices... they're like $100.

Oops, I meant that I'd get a PAF Pro for the neck first, then saved for the Super Distortion for the bridge?
Quote by meticadpa
Stupid UK prices... they're like $100.

Oops, I meant that I'd get a PAF Pro for the neck first, then saved for the Super Distortion for the bridge?

OH. Yeah, that'd be a fine idea. =P Play a crapload of Yngwie while you're waiting, he uses his neck pickup 80% of the time. XD
Quote by SlayingDragons