Alright, so I'm getting a new guitar, and I feel its time to get a new amp.

What I play:
-Progressive Metal
-Death Metal
-A bit of metalcore
-Shred

My budgets around 900$, but I can raise that. Also, I don't care if its a combo or stack.
I'd say something like a Mesa or a Laney would work well for you. Mikael Akerfeldt plays Laney amps and loves them. What kind of guitar are you getting?
Quote by gquady09
I'd say something like a Mesa or a Laney would work well for you. Mikael Akerfeldt plays Laney amps and loves them. What kind of guitar are you getting?

Ibanez RG1570, but I will also be using a PRS 24 as my main guitar. good combination?
Quote by demondown666
look at the peavey valve kings.

No. TS, try a used Mesa Dual Rectifier or something along the lines of that.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Quote by espplayer400
No. TS, try a used Mesa Dual Rectifier or something along the lines of that.

works fine for me. but ok, opinions
for the price, get a used peavey 6505
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
on craigslist, see if you can score a peavey 6505 or 5150 head and then a good 4x12 or 2x12 cabinet depending on how much money is left
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by forsaknazrael

it's really not voiced for metal. not enough gain on its own for metal. truf. truf. truf.

It does have enough, actually, but you're absolutely right about the voicing without alot of mods and an EQ. On that budget, the OP has no need to go down that route either.

Anyway, yeah, OP, look at a 6505/5150, Dual/Single Rectifier, maybe an ENGL Fireball.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Mesa has just tweaked the Dual Rectifier, so that would be a fine choice if you can handle the price tag. If you are looking at the 6505 series, see if you can try the new 6534+ amplifier. I haven't seen one in the shops yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Some reviewers say it is a definite improvement on the old 6505+.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by bizcuits212
Ibanez RG1570, but I will also be using a PRS 24 as my main guitar. good combination?

Perhaps. I like that you're a PRS guy.
it's really not voiced for metal. not enough gain on its own for metal. truf. truf. truf.

i dont use the built in distortion, i have pedals and a equalizer for the gain i need. i always have amps on clean, the sound is crisp and bright and with the effects to it sound distinct and brutal when set right. takes experience