I'm looking for effects to spice up my sound during live shows or recordings
I don't mean distortion or eq I mean effects like Phaser or flanger
in looking fir a really good phaser
just a start I know
I play hardcore/sceamo/pop punk music
it really hard to describe I'll post the myspace(I like hearing how people describe us)
any input would be great
I don't wanna spend more than 100$ on an effect(besides wah, currently looking at dimes wah from demos I've heard)

thanks a million!
Flanger: MXR EVH
Phaser: MXR Phase 90 (as long as it's not in an effects loop) or Small Stone
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
really should have mentioned This

can u tell me y to use that item and y(as in what it will do for me)
Can you type like an adult? Sorry, it's just a giant pet peeve..

Anywho, they're both pretty hard to describe, and by that I mean that I can't really describe them, I'm sure someone here can, but I digress. You should also maybe look at something like the MXR Micro Chorus a subtle chorus is always a good touch for cleans.

Phaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8vJ1OvCqxM

Flanger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y7e5uafLKo

Chorus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvFY7xU2kGk&feature=channel

Hope this helps.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Jun 27, 2010,
Sorry, but I type like an "adult" and not like I'm texting(sounds like im acting like a jerk with the """ but just an easier way to state it) but I'm on my iPhone and I was typing while doing other things, trust me it's a huge pet peeve of mine to, but my iPhone also auto corrects, and even changes them if I hit a random button. We don't have a lot of cleans, all of them aren't chord cleans, all picked. And not to blame my iPhone again, I can't go on YouTube on it for some unknown reason. I'll watch the links when I get access to a computer though, thanks
Last edited by Katsock at Jun 27, 2010,
Ahhh, fair enough then. Hope that's helpful once you get a chance to look at it, once you know what you want we'll be much more useful, ahha.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I doubt you play very many cleans with your band, but if you do: ADD SOME ****ING CHORUS!

It might just be because I play fender guitars through fender amps, but nothing makes your cleans shine like a light chorus wash. It'll totally make you rethink the way you use your clean tones.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by rooster456
I doubt you play very many cleans with your band, but if you do: ADD SOME ****ING CHORUS!

It might just be because I play fender guitars through fender amps, but nothing makes your cleans shine like a light chorus wash. It'll totally make you rethink the way you use your clean tones.

Hey man he should add chorus to his distortion tone too Great way to make your tone thick and menacing if used right.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I know this isn't your sort of music, but a good place to hear a phaser in action would be the intro to Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother. You hear it kick in about 2 bars in.

Flangers do the whole Aeroplane noise thing, with the swooshes and stuff. Phasers do a similar thing on the right settings.

What about delay? If there's any arpeggios or slowish soloing in your music, a delay will add a lot of colour. It can be used for faster bits too, just to add some more depth to the sound. A good delay for around $100 would be the EHX Memory Boy, but if you step up some cash you can get much better (Malekko Ekko, Boss DD3)
We do have sone slow solos, I wa thinking a chorus could spice that up, I've never been able to effectively play using a delay , I don't know why. I'm going to a Local guitar center today to try out phasers.
A link to my band is here, only really pay attention to the first song, that's what I'm refering to(alas poor yorick) the others are acoustic or old haha

myspace.com/looktotheeastnj
Last edited by Katsock at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by Katsock
We do have sone slow solos, I wa thinking a chorus could spice that up, I've never been able to effectively play using a delay , I don't know why. I'm going to a Local guitar center today to try out phasers.
A link to my band is here, only really pay attention to the first song, that's what I'm refering to(alas poor yorick) the others are acoustic or old haha

myspace.com/looktotheeastnj

Chorus is great on cleans. and I looked at the myspace and you guys are from the same area as me. I live in Bergen County.
aside from the previously mentioned phasers, the boss ph-2 is another good one that you can pick up for under $100. used obviously, since its no longer in production. more versitile than the phase 90 or small stone IMO, but it does have its limits. i like mine a lot, so its something to look into.

i find chorus to be kinda bland myself and never use it. obviously it adds depth and stuff, but i dont always think it is interesting. flanger and phaser can achieve that same depth adding, but i find them to spice things up more. and a good flanger can do a very nice impression of a chorus. maybe a flanger is what you should be looking for.