Ok so I have questions about building my own customized strat from warmoth:

1. What are good woods for the neck and fingerboard of a strat neck?

2. Is there a difference in tone between maple and rosewood?

3. Does having a laminated top make a difference or what does it do?

4. What's the difference between a front routed guitar and a rear routed guitar?

5. What does an angled reverse strat pickup route do?

6. Does a standard strat need a battery box?

7. Whats the point of scalloping does it do anything or is it just for looks?

I know its a lot but it will really help me a lot . Thanks
I suggest your start reading up man. Go through the essential links sticky in the forum.
In there you'll find link to the following threads:
Ultimate tonewood
Scalloping thread
Ultimate Wiring thread.

Those three will answer almost all your questions.

The only one left is rear Vs top. It's in the name man. Rear routed means the routing for the electronics is done on the bottom of the guitar, and has a cover put over it. Top means the top is routed out, and a pickguard or other cover is fashioned over it.
For example, a Fender Strat is top routed, a Gibson Les Paul is Rear routed.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
. What are good woods for the neck and fingerboard of a strat neck?
i prefer all maple, but everyone is different
2. Is there a difference in tone between maple and rosewood?
on the fretboard? i think maple feels a bit harder
3. Does having a laminated top make a difference or what does it do?
null
4. What's the difference between a front routed guitar and a rear routed guitar?
front router is strat style, remove the pick guard to see the electronics. rear routed, LP style, removable plates on the back of the axe.
5. What does an angled reverse strat pickup route do?
not sure, havent tried it. I would suppose it has a beefier high end?
6. Does a standard strat need a battery box?
not unless you get some active pickups.
7. Whats the point of scalloping does it do anything or is it just for looks?
reduces resistance because your not pressing directly on the fretbboard. there are alot more people that can explain that in more detail.
1. Wood thread.
2. Wood Thread.
3.Wood Thread
4. Front routed means it's like a strat, the routes are all taken from the front, meaning that it will require a pickguard to look decent.(Eddie Van Halens guitar isn't pretty by the way). Rear routed means that the routes are from the back. The control cavity routes are from the back, so there will be a plastic cover on the back.
6.No
7. Makes it easier to play, helps with bends, soloing etc.
..I was watching my death.
all questions you should know the answer to before ever thinking about ordering a custom guitar, because that is kind of the point: building your own unique instrument to your own liking.

-there are no "good woods". maple/rosewood or maple/maple are common. however, this is a custom guitar, so choose what you like.
-yes there is a difference between maple and rosewood. maple = brighter, rosewood = darker.
-laminated top does make a sound difference depending on thickness and what wood combinations are used.
-front routed and rear routed are cosmetic differences only with little tone effect. the route allows for a pickup?
-not really sure what you're talking about here... look it up on their site
-generally no battery needed. if you go with active pickups then yes you will need them
-avoid scalloping since you dont know what it is. it gives a COMPLETELY different feel, to me to the point where i dont recognize its feel as a guitar anymore, but a different instrument altogether. its really a matter of personal taste and if you've never even tried it, dont get it
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jun 27, 2010,
Thanks so I guess a better question about the neck woods would be what types of neck woods give what kinds sounds?