Hey there UG,

So, I currently play through an Egnater Rebel 20, which I love for Hard Rock, Blues, Jazz, etc. I got a tubescreamer for it, and I can sort of get metal tones, but its not quite doing it for me. Anyway, I'm asking for recommendations for Mesa amps mostly. Not just because "Petrucci playz Mesa Booooogie lolz", but I love their general tone, reliability (based on what I've heard), and customer service (once again, from what I've heard).

Anyway, I'd like to limit the recommendations to Mesa amps for now, since I'm not too familiar with each model, and I don't know what amps are best for what...I'm mostly just trying to educate myself here.

Here's my basic info:

Music: Tight metal tones that can get a general Dream Theater-esque sound (I know I can't sound exactly Petrucci, and that's not what I'm aiming for.

Budget: Not too much of an issue, but lets top it out around $2000 (US) for the amp head.

Channels: Atleast two. It needs to have a good clean channel, and the OD channel should be able to get fairly heavy tones without a boost. I don't need an insane amount of gain.

FX loop is a necessity. I currently live in an apartment, but we are moving into a house soon, so volume isn't a very big problem...a wattage control would be nice, but its not necessary. It does need to be able to get fairly good tone at low volumes.

I gig.

I would prefer an amp head, not a combo. Also, it would have to sound good plugged into a Mesa 2x12, since a 4x12 is a little big for my current dwellings.

Thanks in advance!

-Sean
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Mark IV. Best amp ever. Petrucci uses one too, so you should be able to nail his tones.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Mark IV. A V is probably in your budget too. Both will nail heavy tones and are extremely versatile. The V has a better R2/Crunch channel, the IV's is pretty weak, but you can get good rhythm tones from the Lead channel with the GEQ out, then kick it in for leads, or you can boost the R2 channel for some good classic rock tones.
Quote by littlephil
Mark IV. A V is probably in your budget too. Both will nail heavy tones and are extremely versatile. The V has a better R2/Crunch channel, the IV's is pretty weak, but you can get good rhythm tones from the Lead channel with the GEQ out, then kick it in for leads, or you can boost the R2 channel for some good classic rock tones.

If money wasn't an object, would you go Mark IV or V?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
I havent played a V much, so I cant really say. I do love my IV though, and they're very similar.
There's really nothing you can't buy from Mesa with a $2000 budget, aside from the Roadking, which I'd rather just get a Roadster. Seriously, the Roadking has TOO many features.

But with that budget, get a used Mark V. I've found some Mark V's on the bay going for $300 less that are in box. Or just get a new one.

Or save a bit of money and get a Mark IV, which doesn't have as good as a clean channel (but still good) and has a pretty useless channel 2, but still the most amazing lead/heavy channel ever.

edit:
You could get a new 2010 Dual Recto, it's fairly versatile and rectos sound amazing when pushed with a tubescreamer/boost, they're know for being a bit loose but they really tighten up with a boost.
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 27, 2010,
Okay, thanks guys. Also, for a Mesa 4x12, what's the difference between the Stiletto and the Standard (in sound, not size), and which do you guys prefer?
Quote by rmr024

Quote by Ignite
Or save a bit of money and get a Mark IV, which doesn't have as good as a clean channel (but still good) and has a pretty useless channel 2, but still the most amazing lead/heavy channel ever.

Save and get a IV? He could easily get a IV in his budget, they're cheaper than V's?
EDIT: at myself, I just realised what you meant

The Stiletto is what the Standard Recto cab used to be, and the Standard is now what the Oversized was, IIRC
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by littlephil

Save and get a IV? He could easily get a IV in his budget, they're cheaper than V's?
EDIT: at myself, I just realised what you meant

The Stiletto is what the Standard Recto cab used to be, and the Standard is now what the Oversized was, IIRC

My bad, still, what's the tone difference between the two?
Quote by rmr024

why does it have to be mesa?

ha! just like everyone does in any marshall thread
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
why does it have to be mesa?

ha! just like everyone does in any marshall thread

Because he wants a Petruccish tone? Cant get a better amp for a certain tone than the one that person uses.
So if I'm looking for a tighter tone, I guess I should go for the Stiletto then, right?
Quote by rmr024

Yeah, the Stiletto will be great for a tight tone, although JP uses Recto cabs and still has a great tight tone, so it wont matter a heap.
He uses the oversized?
Quote by rmr024

I thought so, but I just checked his gear page and it says "8 Mesa Boogie Traditional Rectifier 4X12 Cabinets with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers", which is the Stiletto cab. Sorry for the mixup!
That's weird, cause now that I think about it, I thought he used the oversized too. Cause I've seen him stack the Horizontal 2x12s on top of his 4x12s, and they are a perfect match (and I believe the horizontal 2x12 has the same dimensions as the oversized, other than height).
Quote by rmr024

He may have used the Oversized for the Train Of Thought tour, because he was using Roadkings then, and the 2x12s were for the Lonestars only. Now, with the Mark Vs he's using the Stiletto cabs.
Quote by littlephil
He may have used the Oversized for the Train Of Thought tour, because he was using Roadkings then, and the 2x12s were for the Lonestars only. Now, with the Mark Vs he's using the Stiletto cabs.

Well, I guess since I want a bit tighter tone, then the stiletto is for me. And the Mark V sounds good too.

Wow, I came in not wanting to rip off of JPs rig, and now I totally am...it just sounds too good!

I guess that's why he uses it...
Quote by rmr024

Last edited by SLonergan at Jun 27, 2010,
okay, I have one more question. If I just bought the Mark V head for now, knowing that its only 90w, could I plug it into a 1x12 80 watt cab if I wasn't going to crank it? I'd probably have each channel set at 10w for a while anyway.

Would that work?
Quote by rmr024

Quote by littlephil
If you didnt run it above half volume (unlikely you would) it would be fine.

Awesome. Its a 16 ohm cab, but I've been told its okay to run an 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm cab...right?
Quote by rmr024

It will work and wont damage anything, but you'll lose a little volume. What cab are you looking at?
Quote by littlephil
It will work and wont damage anything, but you'll lose a little volume. What cab are you looking at?

Oh, its just the cab I already own. Its the matching 112x egnater cab...

I know it doesn't really compliment the Mark V at all, but if I can buy the head and cab separately, then I can get it earlier. I still plan on getting a matching mesa cab, I just wanted to make sure this would work until then.
Quote by rmr024