I'm looking into possibly building a 1 speaker , speaker cabinet or buying a cheap one and changing the speaker. How much does the design of the cabinet actually effect the sound. Isn't the box just to hold the speaker. All the sound and tone depends on the speaker right?

"TOO FAST TO LIVE TOO YOUNG TO DIE"
The dimensions affect the sound but not as much as people like to believe, ESPECIALLY in an open back cabinet. (EDIT: well yes the dimensions are quite important, basic wave theory physics tells us that. Fancy glue, secret techniques and dove-tail joints I can't see making much of a difference)

I've heard of guys installing a Vintage 30 in a cardboard box and liking the sound.

As long as you're not an idiot and have basic woodworking skills, the cab should sound fine.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 27, 2010,
Cabinets matter but it’s not like the designs are a secret; there are plenty of free schematics out there. But having the tools and skills to build a 4x12 tank that can survive years of gigging is probably still why people will pay Mesa hundreds of dollars to deal with it.
With a closed back cabinet the volume is quite important. I've seen a mismatch between speaker requirements and actual cabinet volume that was so bad I thought the speaker was dead.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it's real important. most of the time it's not done right. in actuality ever single guitar speaker has an ideal cabinet dimension designed just for it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Always worth looking in the UG columns http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/cabinets_for_guitars.html

Very simply the cabinet volume controls the bass octave and the character of the speaker dominates most of the rest. The cab though will introduce some extra resonances in the mid range which will colour the sound a little.

Any two cabs fitted with say V30's are going to have a distinctive V30 sound but won't be identical and most of the differences will be in the bass.

Read my article for more detail.

Cheers
Quote by Phil Starr
Always worth looking in the UG columns http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/cabinets_for_guitars.html

Very simply the cabinet volume controls the bass octave and the character of the speaker dominates most of the rest. The cab though will introduce some extra resonances in the mid range which will colour the sound a little.

Any two cabs fitted with say V30's are going to have a distinctive V30 sound but won't be identical and most of the differences will be in the bass.

Read my article for more detail.

Cheers

Great post, and this is definitely true as I have played through a few V30 cabs and they do have a distinctive sound.

However I find my ENGL XXL Cab to sound the best. The way the speakers are mounted too makes a difference. Front loaded V30s and the fact the cab is Hugggggge and made from a good grade of wood mean that the XXL Cab is very well rounded and has a huge bass response.

Speaker does make most of the difference but do not discount the roll that all other aspects of the cab make.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Thanks for all the responses. I need to clarify that Ii'm not debating open back vs closed back. I'm definitely using an open back because its easier to build and easier to swap out speakers.

"TOO FAST TO LIVE TOO YOUNG TO DIE"
With open back the cabinet makes much less difference. There is no panel behind the speaker to reflect the sound and no standing wave resonances and because the internal pressure is lower there is very little panel resonance. Just make sure you choose a speaker suitable for this use. There's another article in the columns about this.