Recently I've fallen out of using super high gain tones, and my gain knob generally isn't going anywhere past 10'o clock on the vintage channel, so I thought it might be time for a change.

The kind of tone I would be aiming for would be similar to Porcupine tree, from the album "The Incident". MY guitars have EMG 707s and 808s.

I should be able to fetch about 800 for it, and I might be able to get another 200 or so for my cab if a combo is my best option, though I think I'd rather get just a head. MY cab has G12T-75s.

Powerful enough for gigging and band practice is necessary.

Edit:The one thing I'm worried about with these amps is them sounding a little too bright and jangly. When the gain is down, sure. But when I'm going for the distortion, I want it to sound dark. I think that Blackest Eyes tone is pretty much the kind of darkness I'm looking for.

I can get kind of close to it with my mesa, but it's just too loose I'm thinking.
Agile Intrepid Pro 828 Natural w/ Maple fretboard
Agile Hornet 7 w/ custom steel pickguard
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier w/ 2x12 G12T-75 cab
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
Last edited by Everblack at Jun 27, 2010,
well he uses a bad cat lynx head, good luck finding one for 1000 bucks. id look at anything with el-34's thats around 60-50 watts
if thats the tone you desire but a big part of his sound is passive pickups and delays
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
maybe look at an engl thunder 50 head

nm that has 6l6's my bad

look at the egnater renegade or the hughes and kettner statesman el-34
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Last edited by Skagasm at Jun 27, 2010,
Jet City Amps JCA100?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Jet City Amps JCA100?

not this, that would be way to loud for the amount of tube saturation you want and a 100 watt stack never ever gets to open up its like buying a v12 car like yeah its loud and is a beast but when will you ever need to go 250mph
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
not this, that would be way to loud for the amount of tube saturation you want and a 100 watt stack never ever gets to open up its like buying a v12 car like yeah its loud and is a beast but when will you ever need to go 250mph

50 watts isn't much quieter than 100. In fact, 100w is only 3 dB more than 50w.

Besides that, there's a device called a 'volume knob', which comes standard on every single amplifier ever...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
50 watts isn't much quieter than 100. In fact, 100w is only 3 dB more than 50w.

Besides that, there's a device called a 'volume knob', which comes standard on every single amplifier ever...

yeah but my history of owning a twin reverb and a super reverb which is about a 40 watt difference the head room on the twin is alot higher. im sorry i shouldnt have said loudness i meant too say headroom.
roland AC90

maybe a low wattage amp so you can switch to some power tube distortion for a bit. something around 30 watts.

drz amps used are going for 1k easily these days. check out a rt66.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
ahhhh acoustic mirror arives to help my cause of lower wattage
roland AC90

right tool for the job and all that. if the op is tired of preamp tube saturation he should switch it up.
i personally don't like non master volume amps. I think they are stiff. i think power tube distortion easily gets too stiff as well. but I keep a low watter around.

the 100s for bedroom use though.
Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm not seeing myself needing 100watts, It seems to be overkill or my situation.

I'd like to take a look at the Dr. Z, but I don't think that any stores around me carry them, and I have to try before I buy, no exceptions. $1000 is the max budget, I cannot go a any higher than that.
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
check out the gear page's used section and gc used.
a z might top that budget a little. I'm thinking 1200 will be the low point but there's plenty of other stuff to try.

Maybe grab on of the new ac15s from vox for like 500 for a week and see how you like it.
Maybe a Budda Superdrive? You can always buy one off the internet and send it back.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Yeah, I don't really want to pay shipping costs for an amp to try it out. Also, I only have 8 and 7 string guitars, so it should be able to handle low notes fairly well. I'm going to call up my local GCs and sam ashes as well as any small music stores and see about some of the things mentioned here. Anymore suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
hey i need some help tabing a song i found album my dads old bad recorded and there is a song on it that i really want to learn to play....if some one could tab it out for me that would be great and i cant ask my dad to teach it to me cause he dad before i even started playing guitar if some decides to try and tab it out for me my email is

lancechristopherrush2112@gmail.com
i can email you the a mp3 of the song