Im just getting into recording and stuff, and i would like to make a demo CD to send to a record company. yes i know how record companies are, and all the risks, but i would just like to know how much it would cost to copyright my bands music, and how would i go about doing so?
thanx!
I was under the impression that it was free to copyright your music.

I'm probably wrong, though.
hey i need some help tabing a song i found on a album from my dads old bad recorded... and there is a song on it that i really want to learn to play....if some one could tab it out for me that would be great and i cant ask my dad to teach it to me cause he deid before i even started playing guitar if some decides to try and tab it out for me my email is

lancechristopherrush2112@gmail.com
This is definitely not the best place to ask...

*looks at join date*

Yep, could've guessed it. You will get no help from these guys.

I'd just do some research about how to go about starting your own. I'm sure you can find some useful information out there somewhere. Try googling around and such.

Good luck.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by sirbason
hey i need some help tabing a song i found on a album from my dads old bad recorded... and there is a song on it that i really want to learn to play....if some one could tab it out for me that would be great and i cant ask my dad to teach it to me cause he deid before i even started playing guitar if some decides to try and tab it out for me my email is

lancechristopherrush2112@gmail.com

Lrn2useUG
Quote by sirbason

Uh...

You didn't say what the song was, and there is a forum for this.

Don't post this in a random thread like you just did. Read the UG rules and go to the New Member Q&A forums if you have questions.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I'd ask a copyright lawyer. I hate to tell you this, but you can expect to pay an arm and a leg, that being the discount price. My uncle is a copyright lawyer and he makes his yearly salary in a few cases, and probably makes more than both my parents combined.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Jun 27, 2010,
There is a site just for copyright registration. Google it. You can register up to 10 tracks of music. You pay a flat rate of about $70, regardless of whether it's for 1 song or 10 songs.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
A copyright exists once you create something, if you don't sign anything then a label can't do squat to your music.
Quote by crazy8rgood
I was under the impression that it was free to copyright your music.

I'm probably wrong, though.

It's not. Pretty cheap though.

Here's a link to the forms you'll need TS:
http://www.copyright.gov/forms/

EDIT:
Quote by rgrockr
I'd ask a copyright lawyer. I hate to tell you this, but you can expect to pay an arm and a leg, that being the discount price. My uncle is a copyright lawyer and he makes his yearly salary in a few cases, and probably makes more than both my parents combined.

You only need a lawyer if there's a dispute.
Last edited by TheChaz at Jun 27, 2010,
myfreecopyright.com/

A few youtube musicians use it.

(I know KillrBuckeye for one does, and Musicman1066)
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Last edited by Gibshall at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by pwrmax
A copyright exists once you create something, if you don't sign anything then a label can't do squat to your music.

This is a deadly misconception. That principle is only true IN THEORY. Without a proper registration, it can be hard to prove that you are the original and first creator of the idea.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
This is a deadly misconception. That principle is only true IN THEORY. Without a proper registration, it can be hard to prove that you are the original and first creator of the idea.

Well then, all you need is proof that you created it. Upload to Youtube, email to yourself, myfreecopyright.com, poor man's copyright. It's all there. Yes, patents are foolproof but they're pricey.
I got told the best thing to do is to send it to yourself in the mail with a dated letter or something.

What I think I'd do is take a dated letter with a track list, length, lyrics (all info possible) to a Justice of the Peace, show them letter and recordings, get them to sign both, then put them in an envelope and send them to yourself.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
I put my name on the mp3, upload it to websites that stamp a date and my username on it, I can there fore predate anyone who steals it.

I'm not worried about copyrights cuz I have all the master tracks, and could easily prove my ownership.
Quote by pwrmax
Well then, all you need is proof that you created it. Upload to Youtube, email to yourself, myfreecopyright.com, poor man's copyright. It's all there. Yes, patents are foolproof but they're pricey.

None of those hold up in real life. And it's not that expensive to copyright something at all.
Quote by pwrmax

Patents are for processes and inventions... recordings can't be patented.
And nothing about patenting is foolproof.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by pwrmax

Those don't hold up. Any competent lawyer could destroy those proofs. Copyrights, not patents, are actually pretty cheap relatively speaking.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Those don't hold up. Any competent lawyer could destroy those proofs.

How so, I'm actually curious now.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Those don't hold up. Any competent lawyer could destroy those proofs. Copyrights, not patents, are actually pretty cheap relatively speaking.

Thus you get a competent lawyer yourself to defend those proofs.

Anyway, it usually works most times - especially if you have masters of your songs, which we all do.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO