I was playing around on my guitar and I figured out this chord fingering that sounds really nice. It's

E|X| | | |
B|X|X| | |
G|X| |X| |
D|X| | |X|
A|X| | | |
D|X| | | |

Sorry if thats a bad way of writing it out, I didn't want to use TAB because it wouldn't illustrate it as being used all the way up the fretboard.

Does anyone know what these chords are called and can you also tell me if there are any other nice sounding fingerings in drop D that you know of?

EDIT: Sorry, the diagram was in standard tuning, I overlooked that. Changed it so it's alright now :P
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
I'd totally eat you.

Quote by Gorelord666
Banned because your avatar blew my mind.

Damn straight.
Last edited by scrubzyful at Jun 27, 2010,
Wat
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
The same chord theory applies to ALL instruments that can play multiple notes simultaneously. There's a few lessons on chord theory on this site, check them out.
Quote by Dan_5893
If played at the first fret (so the barre fingers are across fret 1) its an A#m/F#

So its basically whatever the root note is /F#

i think you mean Bbm/F.

but then there's the issue that the thread is about chords in drop D, and yet TS gave us an example in standard tuning.

how about giving us the chord in tab so we actually know where we are on the fretboard?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
We really cant tell if those are supposed to be one chord with the top barred or two different chords and what frets those are.. next time use tab, there's a reason people use it

If it's two sepperate chords, the right one is easily a F# Major.
The left part could be any number of different namings, it's pretty ambivalent without context, but the only obvious one would imo be (F / bE minor add 4th)

If that is a single chord, with the left part being a barre, then that looks like a (bE minor 9th)
Nah its just a single chord.

Ill tab it out if that helps?

e:-1-------------
B:-2-------------
G:-3-------------
D:-4-------------
A:-1-------------
D:-1-------------

Sorry if that tabs a bit sketchy, I couldn't be bothered grabbing the template
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
I'd totally eat you.

Quote by Gorelord666
Banned because your avatar blew my mind.

Damn straight.
Quote by scrubzyful
Nah its just a single chord.

Ill tab it out if that helps?

e:-1-------------
B:-2-------------
G:-3-------------
D:-4-------------
A:-1-------------
D:-1-------------

Sorry if that tabs a bit sketchy, I couldn't be bothered grabbing the template

Bbmmaj7(#5)/Eb
Quote by MapOfYourHead
I don't think so Tim.

Eb-Bb-Gb-Bb-Db-F

Sounds like GbM7/Eb to me.

...where did you gather that my name was tim?

anyway, i could really see it going either way. i based it around Bb because i saw the Gb as an F#. i guess, as with EVERY chord issue here on UG, we need context for it to be properly defined.

and in this case, i don't think there is any, so...yeah.
It's not that it couldn't be Bb based, it's more the fact that it's not a minor-major7 chord.

I don't think so Tim

Edit: If it was Bb based, it would be something like be Bbm6(Add 11) or Bbm(Add 11)(Add b13).
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jun 27, 2010,