As the title says...What strings do I need for low tunings such as drop A# to achieve minimum string movement?Thinner or fatter?I'm using 09 at the moment and they are loose enough to cause an unwanted noise when I play too low.
Thanks
Well, think about it for a second. Heavier strings will be tighter in standard tuning so to get them to feel more normal you would tune lower. So you need heavier strings for this. Actually, for drop A# I would suggest buying a standard set of 7 strings and just throwing out the high E.
Quote by exect4500
you would want to use .11-.12.

I'd go beyond that actually, maybe 13. I use 12 for straight C tuning.
Shit dude, 13's. What are you playing in Drop A#?
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
I play mostly on drop C and drop D but some songs require even lower. (Bands like Bring me the Horizon,Scar Symmetry etc)
Thanks for the replies I will try some heavier strings.
GHS boomers, definately, for something as low as A or A#, 13's should do.
Or you could go with Ernie Ball Heavy's.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
to save starting a new thread can .10's go to drop D/C or is it best to get .11/12's to be sure?

Sorry for asking my own question in your thread op.
10s can do drop D, I would suggest 11 for Drop C. Don't expect one single set of strings to work for drop D and then C and then A#, unless you really like tight strings on drop D.
Quote by CaptiveX
As the title says...What strings do I need for low tunings such as drop A# to achieve minimum string movement?Thinner or fatter?I'm using 09 at the moment and they are loose enough to cause an unwanted noise when I play too low.
Thanks

What scale length guitar are you using and what strings do you prefer in standard?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
First off, make sure your scale length is at least 25.5. I would recommend a baritone length scale, so around 26.5 to 27 inches. I'm confident you could sound just fine with .12's. I play with .10-.52s in drop C on a 25.5 inch scale length guitar and the tension is just fine, so .12s will do you fine. If you want MOAR tension, go with .13s or a baritone scale length
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
13's at least. i get the normal tention on Drop C with 12's. 13 or 14's sound good
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
well, to continue this thread hijack:

using a beefy slinky set (.11 to .52) on a 24 3/4 scale tuned in drop C, would that give proper string tension? Or should I go thicker because of the shorter scale?
*stupid 09'er*

this space is for rent. PM me for rates
I use Mongolian railway tracks. A century of frozen steel run over daily by blistering hot locomotive wheels hardens the steel just like the folding of a samurai sword. They’re kind of bulky, but it’s easy to play because my guitar has x-jumbo frets. Chugga-chugga, mutha****a.