Okay, so recently I realised I want to get myself a new guitar and a new amp. I play mostly metal, like Disturbed and Dream Theater. For this, I currently have a 1500$ Stratocaster and a stupid ass 30 V Line 6 Spider amp which I really am starting to hate.
And because I practicly have no idea of what would make a good amp setup for my style of playing, I ask u guys, who hopely have some usefull advice to share

My budget is not mindbogglingly high, as I am also intending to buy a new guitar, but it may go as far as 1000$ or perhaps a little further. Currently I'm thinking of buying a pretty basic (but good) amp with few or no effects, and then buy a pedal or something to get all the sounds I want. Currently I've only played on amps with the effects built in, but I'm feeling that this mostly limits the ability to use pedals.

As for the pedal I'm looking at the boss gt-10, and as for the new amp I haven't come far. You guys have any suggestions?
Check my profile for seeing my avatar a little bit bigger... u won't regret... it is no waste of seconds... ten seconds of your life... 30 heart punches of 1 000 000 000.
That's the spirit!!
Head + Cab or Combo?

Combo's can turn out cheaper and easier to lug about, then both a Head and Cab.

but Heads are nice to buy, if say, the venue provides a cab, and you only have little to lug with you. Why don't you look at the amps your favourite artists use, that's always a start. I went for Carvin, because of Steve Vai, and fell in love with my V3. Peavey make very good metal amps (but not the best of clean channels). Mesa might be a good shout, but are rather expensive.

Go to your local store and try some amps, see what you like
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
Marshalls are supreme.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Yeah, okay thanks guys. This will give me something to start with. Only I'm not quite familiar with those terms: head, cab and combo
Most important is for me if there is any difference when it comes to the quality of amplifiers with either of them. ?
I really think I'll an amp I also may be able to play clean with, for softer
Check my profile for seeing my avatar a little bit bigger... u won't regret... it is no waste of seconds... ten seconds of your life... 30 heart punches of 1 000 000 000.
That's the spirit!!
Quote by Burning Raths
Yeah, okay thanks guys. This will give me something to start with. Only I'm not quite familiar with those terms: head, cab and combo
Most important is for me if there is any difference when it comes to the quality of amplifiers with either of them. ?
I really think I'll an amp I also may be able to play clean with, for softer

A cab's basically a big, loud speaker, used mostly for gigs, but it's pretty much useless without something to plug into it because there's no knobs or anything on it. A head's basically a small, long amp you put on top of cabs so you can use them properly. A combo is the most common practice amp, like your Spider, where it can get fairly high in wattage but it's not a cab. And for good clean tone I'd probably go for a tube amp(combo if you're not going to be doing much gigging), but they tend to be a little pricier and they aren't quite as reliable as solid-state amps. And there's no real quality difference in cabs, heads and combos, but if you're gonna be gigging you'll want a head and at least one cab. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Amp head: It's basically the top of your amp. It's where the EQ, channels, volume, reverb, gain, etc. is located. They typically sit on whats called a...

Cabinet: Where the sound of the head goes from. You can get all kinds of these, there's 1x12's, 2x12's, 4x12's best voiced for guitar. Typically 10's or 15's and 8's are used for bass and acoustic electric, respectively. The number before the x is the number of speakers and the bigger number that usually stays the same is the size of each speaker.

A combo amp is basically an amp head and a cabinet fit together in one box.

You might want to split the budget between a better high-gain amp and a guitar with humbuckers.

This amp will do you fine.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp?sku=582106

This guitar will be great, as well
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Damien-Elite-Electric-Guitar?sku=584539
Have a look at what Petrucci plays from dream theater and what disturbed use... If you like to play them... Why not get something similar???
But I am in exactly the same boat as you. And I just ordered a bugera 6260 which is based off of the peavey 5150 which is perfect for me cause i love 80's metal and rock.
I would say maybe a used carvin V3? I'm not sure about prices in the US compared to the UK but the Carvin will do everything you want and more
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win