Hey guys - I posted a VS thread a week or so ago - got another one.
I'm having a bit of trouble narrowing stuff down and would request some more opinions/advise on this.

On the Red Corner:

Used Ibanez J Custom RG8570 DR for $1700~ AUS with un-original case

[SPECIFICATION]
Body : Flamed Maple(Top), Mahogany(Back)
Neck : 5 Piece(Maple+Bubinga)/Wizard neck
Finger board : Rosewood(Flame Maple binding)
Fret : Custom Jumbo(SBB216-195)
Bridge : Edge Pro
Neck Pickup : DiMarzio Air Norton(H) neck pu
Middle Pickup : DiMarzio Blue Velvet(S) mid pu
Bridge Pickup : DiMarzio Tone Zone(H) bridge pu

And in the Blue Corner:

New Ibanez RG8420 ZD for 2400~ AUS with original case

Neck: 5pc Maple / Walnut ”Super Wizard” neck
Body: Flamed Maple / African Mahogany
Fingerboard: Rosewood w/Tree Of Life Inlay
Bridge: Edge-Zero bridge
Neck pu: Seymour DuncanR JAZZ model SH2-n (H) neck pu
Bridge pu: Seymour DuncanR CUSTOM 5 TB-14 (H) bridge pu
Hardware color: Cosmo Black
The second one's sexier. But for those prices you could some kind of Musicman, and those beasts are really worth it.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
rg8420 - the tree of life inlay, looks better.

i terms of spec it`s a case of edge pro vs edge zero and my instinct would be edge pro and dimarzio which would lean me towards th rg8570.

i completely understand your dilema, as just looking at a spec sheet and pics makes it a tough call. try and play them both before buying.
Id go for number one as I think Dimarzios are better than seymour duncans, dont think much of the fretboard inlay on no.2 either u could get sick of that pretty quickly.
SMILE!
Quote by ibanezgod1973
rg8420 - the tree of life inlay, looks better.

i terms of spec it`s a case of edge pro vs edge zero and my instinct would be edge pro and dimarzio which would lean me towards th rg8570.

i completely understand your dilema, as just looking at a spec sheet and pics makes it a tough call. try and play them both before buying.

Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Id go for number one as I think Dimarzios are better than seymour duncans, dont think much of the fretboard inlay on no.2 either u could get sick of that pretty quickly.

I think the tree of life looks great too, but as Mr. DeadDuck says, they could get tacky over time, whereas the dots are not something youd really get sick of.

the specs are pretty hard too. the edge pro is definitely the better bridge.
i`ve hd my Jem for nearly 3 years and don`t get sick of the tree of life inlay, although it`s not as detailed as that one, in fact i barely notice it unless it`s in the open case or on the stand.
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck

Pretty much this.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.

That's a really good looking guitar.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
What!!!spend 700 $ more for a stupid inlay?no..

And for those who are telling the 8420 is sexier,it's cause that pic..they both essentially look the same except for the inlays

+ you prefer the EP right?so I would say that the 8570 is better for you.But the 8420 is not bad either

Judging from specs alone, the RG8570 DR looks like the better guitar. Better pickups, an extra pickup for more tonal variation, a better bridge...

I don't think I could spend $700 for an inlay like that (I don't like it that much), and get inferior hardware to boot.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm pretty much shuffling between the dimarzios vs the seymour duncans and the bridge.
I would eventually be buying myself a j custom case too.
For the pickups, I have the Tone Zone. It's a jack of all trades kinda pickup, it's an alnico pickup for that reason. If you're intending to go into heavy metal there could be better bridge pickups for more oomph (for the chugging) and better harmonic response. For everything else it's good though, has a really nice crunch with distortion.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Yeah - I am looking to use the guitar for prog-metal sorta stuff, like BTBAM - so I figure I need high-output pickups. Hmm
The 8420 is the J custom I've always wanted. I can't play with the middle pickup in a guitar, haha. Either way you're getting an amazing guitar, J customs are freaking amazing.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by Arterial
Yeah - I am looking to use the guitar for prog-metal sorta stuff, like BTBAM - so I figure I need high-output pickups. Hmm

Not with the Mark IV you wont, the Tone Zone would be plenty hot enough. Probably not voiced right though, you'd want something with a ceramic magnet.
You should totally buy the Ibanez JPM P2 thats on ebay right now, before I do
The JPM2 has the same pickups philly!

and interestingly enough, if you read the guys description:
"Reason for sale is because I need some fund to acquire a boutique amp, and I'm more used to my Ibanez Jem or J-Custom type of guitars."
Actually its got a Steves Special in the bridge, he listed it wrong.
Still a better axe IMO.
Quote by Dream Floyd
The second one's sexier. But for those prices you could some kind of Musicman, and those beasts are really worth it.

check the currency, it's in AUS dollars. at that budget he has no hope in hell of affording a music man.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by aradine
check the currency, it's in AUS dollars. at that budget he has no hope in hell of affording a music man.

Actually he could, if he bought one from overseas. A JP6 is in his budget, going from the few on eBay. I already suggested that to him anyway, he's set on an Ibanez
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 28, 2010,
IF you can somehow get the JPM2 for less than 700$,(I dont know about normal retail prices of these thing though)..then you'll be able to get both the JPM2 and 8570 for the same price that you'd pay for a single 8420
Quote by archenemyfan
IF you can somehow get the JPM2 for less than 700$,(I dont know about normal retail prices of these thing though)..then you'll be able to get both the JPM2 and 8570 for the same price that you'd pay for a single 8420

Yeah, its pretty unlikely the P2 will go that low. I got my P4 for 1500, thats below normal for P4's from what i've seen, and the P4's are the least rare/expensive ones. That said, if it doesnt go above about $1200, I'll be having a NGD He doesnt want it anyway
Quote by littlephil
Actually he could, if he bought one from overseas. A JP6 is in his budget, going from the few on eBay. I already suggested that to him anyway, he's set on an Ibanez

<3
dude, ive got plenty of GAS already - just not for JP guitars, all that GAS is for you :P