Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a Dean Razorback 7 I mean, it's one of my options so, since I can't play one here I need to know the specs of the guitar and the Dean site specs are just... lame... so I wanted to know the specs of the razorback 7 neck, you know, thickness at 1st and 12th fret, fretboard radius, neck profile etc.

Also is it true that the massive headstocks on the razorback series are easy/prone to breaking?
Thanks for your help!
Quote by Avl521

Also is it true that the massive headstocks on the razorback series are easy/prone to breaking?
Thanks for your help!

I don't know if the headstock is weaker than your average one, but naturally, since it's quite big, it's easier to accidentally hit it on something.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
I don't know if the headstock is weaker than your average one, but naturally, since it's quite big, it's easier to accidentally hit it on something.

well yeah, every headstock if hit hard enough would break, but I've been told that the headstock is really fragile
never really saw any 7 string in here, but according to my friends who used the 6 string versions, the hardware is terrible, headstock, nut and floyd rose, they are very easily breakable, and the guitar itself is quite huge, so it is easier to break, since it is easier to hit by accident
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
Let me tell you the story of my razorback...
The Guitar is BAD, its Overpriced though, mainly because its a *****d dean model that to kids who play metal looks "Cool" trust me i bought one and i regret it..
Yes the headstock breaks VERY EASY, i should know my brother broke mine.
your friend is also correct, after 2 months of using it my LFR broke, and ontop of that my Floyd rose bolts came stripped, had to get them replaced.

But take into consideration mine was a 6 string... and it was around 500$..
I'd look into a better 7 string.

But for the neck, its in between Scheter, and ESP for thickness.. if that helps..
^Wow sounds like you got a lemon or something man. The main thing is that (at least on the 6 string models) it has a V neck instead of a regular neck, so it take some getting used to. I do not have a Razoback but I do have an ML, and yes, its easier to hit stuff with it, but the only damage I have to the headstock is just a paint chip when I hit it against a moving ceiling fan when I first got it and forgot about how big it us.

In all honesty, I'd check out some of the Schecter 7 strings, like the Hellraiser or something along those lines, they will probably do better for cheaper than the Razorback, but the ones I've played have not been anywhere as bad as what was described above, and I absolutely love my ML.
Well naturally because the headstock is quite large it would make it heavier and more prone to breaking
Quote by KillerLolrus

They break no easier than any other Dean headstock

after 2 months of using it my LFR broke, and ontop of that my Floyd rose bolts came stripped, had to get them replaced.

I don't believe this statement at all, I've absolutely abused the LFR in my Razorback (during live settings) for the last 6 years that I've had it. I have never had a problem with mine in any way, shape, or form. Hell, the last time I tuned it was before I started college and I literally mean that. There's dust around the tuning knobs.

Which screws stripped on you? Sounds like you were overturning them or using the wrong allen wrench. Keep in mind the LFR's in Razorbacks are made my Grover and is the 2nd best OEM LFR on the market right now (only behind the Jackson model)
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by KillerLolrus
Let me tell you the story of my razorback...
The Guitar is BAD, its Overpriced though, mainly because its a *****d dean model that to kids who play metal looks "Cool" trust me i bought one and i regret it..
your friend is also correct, after 2 months of using it my LFR broke, and ontop of that my Floyd rose bolts came stripped, had to get them replaced.

But take into consideration mine was a 6 string... and it was around 500$..
I'd look into a better 7 string.

But for the neck, its in between Scheter, and ESP for thickness.. if that helps..

I have a RazorBack V and the LFR was solid, abused the hell out of it, only problem is the black started to wear off so I replaced it with a Black OFR I had sitting, purely cosmetic reasons is the only reason I replaced it. as for the quality of the guitar one strum unplugged I was in love.

OP: my only exp. with the razorback is the 2005 6 string V, and has a killer neck nice balanced guitar, great quality and sounds great dean still owned dean so I dont know if that has something to do with the quality.

my 7 string is the schecter Loomis c7FR it is a great 7 string, ESP also make a good 7's, ibbys are nice too but I never liked the wiz necks,
Quote by Flux'D
They break no easier than any other Dean headstock

I don't believe this statement at all, I've absolutely abused the LFR in my Razorback (during live settings) for the last 6 years that I've had it. I have never had a problem with mine in any way, shape, or form. Hell, the last time I tuned it was before I started college and I literally mean that. There's dust around the tuning knobs.

Which screws stripped on you? Sounds like you were overturning them or using the wrong allen wrench. Keep in mind the LFR's in Razorbacks are made my Grover and is the 2nd best OEM LFR on the market right now (only behind the Jackson model)

yeah but u prolly have a higher end model, and grover makes Lfrs? i thot ony schaller

anywhoo ur prolly better off getting a schecter or esp/ltd, better deal for teh money
Eh.
Quote by Himelnator
yeah but u prolly have a higher end model, and grover makes Lfrs? i thot ony schaller

anywhoo ur prolly better off getting a schecter or esp/ltd, better deal for teh money

Proper English helps when you're writing on forums...

Nope, it's a 2006 Korean Dean and not a USA model. You realize all sorts of companies make LFR's right? That's where the "licensed" part comes from
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

it otto sux cuz it sez deen u betr get ibanez or u b nobody

Buuuuut seriously speaking, I wouldn't say it's much different from the neck on an ML aside from that extra string, and the ML necks I've played have been about the size of Gibson SG necks, maybe a little thicker. And the headstock's pretty prone to taking hits to my experience, as is the body, but it's fairly durable judging from the amount of times I've accidentally smashed my ML off of things, and the 3-hour drives it's spent caseless in the trunk of the family car.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
dude just get any ibanez 7-string, it will probably cost you much less than the razorback, and it will most probably be much better imo,

i really love ibanez guitars, i have the sas32exfm, its not a 7string, but it is a really amazing guitar, which costs less than $600
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
Quote by d(^o^)b
dude just get any ibanez 7-string, it will probably cost you much less than the razorback, and it will most probably be much better imo,

i really love ibanez guitars, i have the sas32exfm, its not a 7string, but it is a really amazing guitar, which costs less than $600

I actually just said in my OP that the razorback 7 was one of my options, that I was looking into it since well, I can't play one here so I wanted to know specs of the neck and all that since the Dean site says nothing about it.

The thing about Ibanez is that the stock pickups they come with... they kinda suck really... even the higher end prestige models come with lame stock pickups (I've played them... they sounded so... well lame :P) what shocks me is that you pay about $1400 or more and get basswood bodies with stock pickups (I had a bad experience with basswood)

and yeah it's just one of my higher priced options :P
so far I'm looking into either:
Dean Razorback 7 (about $1200)
Agile Septor Elite (I actually like it since it has a hipshot bridge and blackouts) ($750)
Schecter Hellraiser C7FR ($1000)
Schecter C7 Custom ($750) I actually like this one a lot... haha
ESP MH417 ($700)
B.C. Rich Stealth 7 Pro ($900)
B.C. Rich Kerry King 7 string ($1000)
Aaaaaaaand a Jackson SLAT 3 7 ($1200) I really loved the jackson neck it felt so fast and comfortable I fell in love with it however I kinda have my doubts with FRs
Last edited by Avl521 at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by Avl521

The thing about Ibanez is that the stock pickups they come with... they kinda suck really... even the higher end prestige models come with lame stock pickups (I've played them... they sounded so... well lame :P) what shocks me is that you pay about $1400 or more and get basswood bodies with stock pickups (I had a bad experience with basswood)

the V7 and V8 and dimarzio/ibz pickups are not lame(yes they arent the best but)..they go really well with basswood,and they sound good for a factory, in house developed pickup..the dimarzio/ibz are actually built by dimarzio themselves..if they sound bad then you obviously played with cheapo SS amp..and again,how can a pickup sound lame?what does that mean?

here we go,basswood..ok basswood is NOT BAD AT ALL(OR inferior to any other types of wood),ok you get it?there is cheap basswood and there is high end good quality basswood which ibanez use for their prestige line..if basswood is bad why would paul gilbert,steve vai,joe satriani and EVH use it?the wolfgang is made out of basswood and costs 3000 $..
Quote by archenemyfan
the V7 and V8 and dimarzio/ibz pickups are not lame(yes they arent the best but)..they go really well with basswood,and they sound good for a factory, in house developed pickup..the dimarzio/ibz are actually built by dimarzio themselves..if they sound bad then you obviously played with cheapo SS amp..and again,how can a pickup sound lame?what does that mean?

here we go,basswood..ok basswood is NOT BAD AT ALL(OR inferior to any other types of wood),ok you get it?there is cheap basswood and there is high end good quality basswood which ibanez use for their prestige line..if basswood is bad why would paul gilbert,steve vai,joe satriani and EVH use it?the wolfgang is made out of basswood and costs 3000 $..

Now by stock pickups I referred to the Ibanez pickups, Dimarzios are actually pretty good pickups in my opinion, but those V7s and V8s and other Ibanez pickups, I just find they lack sound which other pickups do have... they're not entirely bad, but I just know if I buy a $1400 RGD2127Z I expect not having to buy pickups too because I know I'd end up replacing them, probably for DiMarzios or Seymour Duncans and well, to me that's just not acceptable when the guitar costs over $1000
Now I've been tempted by a 7 string RGA Prestige I saw, and it looks incredible now all I need to know is how those Ibanez LZ Pickups sound since I've never played those...

And I'm not saying basswood sucks, I just had 2 bad experiences with it so I'm trying not to take that chance again.
Quote by Avl521
Now by stock pickups I referred to the Ibanez pickups, Dimarzios are actually pretty good pickups in my opinion, but those V7s and V8s and other Ibanez pickups, I just find they lack sound which other pickups do have... they're not entirely bad, but I just know if I buy a $1400 RGD2127Z I expect not having to buy pickups too because I know I'd end up replacing them, probably for DiMarzios or Seymour Duncans and well, to me that's just not acceptable when the guitar costs over $1000
Now I've been tempted by a 7 string RGA Prestige I saw, and it looks incredible now all I need to know is how those Ibanez LZ Pickups sound since I've never played those...

And I'm not saying basswood sucks, I just had 2 bad experiences with it so I'm trying not to take that chance again.

the rga 7 costs more than 2500$,haven't played one to speak about the pups

the thing is,with ibanez prestiges you get a much better bridge,an edge pro or an edge zero,My personal favorite being the edge pro,which is made by gotoh In japan and
Has top notch quality. They are much better than the Koran FRT's and horrid Dean LFR's.

As for basswood,Was your "incident"connected to a prestige ?
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 28, 2010,
I just realized I never mentioned anything about the neck in my posts lol, my bad. I'm not sure about the 7-string but the regular Razorback has a V-shaped neck similar to early Fenders. Fender has a few models out now with a V-shaped neck but they're a little sharper than the Razorback, try out a Fender V-neck to get a similar feel to a Razorback
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by archenemyfan
the rga 7 costs more than 2500$,haven't played one to speak about the pups

the thing is,with ibanez prestiges you get a much better bridge,an edge pro or an edge zero,My personal favorite being the edge pro,which is made by gotoh In japan and
Has top notch quality. They are much better than the Koran FRT's and horrid Dean LFR's.

As for basswood,Was your "incident"connected to a prestige ?

Damn... I might as well forget about the RGA... almost same price of a EBMM JPX7...

Well I'm not entirely sure if I want a floyd rose/floating trem... I'm kinda thinking if I want one or not but I've heard very good things about the edge pro, though my experience with ibanez trems is with Edge III and a ZR one, I've heard the edge pro is very good but I haven't had the chance to play/abuse the hell out of it

And no, my "incident" was not with a prestige

so, I'm going to look into Ibanez Prestige again... which one would you recommend?
If im correct the neck of the razorback should be a V shape. I've played a V shaped DBZ which basically is the same as the deans neck I'd say it fkin sucks big time. Some people may like it but compared to like my Jackson or ESP it just sucks. No offense on Dean himself, they are great guitars but I just hate the V idea.

As for the headstock anything that size would break in a fall. A 7 string makes it even worse... e.g. Matt Heafys 7 string sig.
Quote by archenemyfan
whats the maximum amount that you'd like to spend?

well so far if I were to buy the guitar right now, about $850 if I wait a bit more I can spend maybe $1000 - $1200. I don't think I can afford anything more expensive than that.

Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
If im correct the neck of the razorback should be a V shape. I've played a V shaped DBZ which basically is the same as the deans neck I'd say it fkin sucks big time. Some people may like it but compared to like my Jackson or ESP it just sucks. No offense on Dean himself, they are great guitars but I just hate the V idea.

As for the headstock anything that size would break in a fall. A 7 string makes it even worse... e.g. Matt Heafys 7 string sig.

Well I haven't played V styled necks... are they that bad? I have however played ESP and Jackson, the Jackson neck is by far the best one I've played, it just felt right in my hand
Quote by Avl521
well so far if I were to buy the guitar right now, about $850 if I wait a bit more I can spend maybe $1000 - $1200. I don't think I can afford anything more expensive than that.

a RG1570 with a pup change will cost you about 1140$..so that seems to be your best option..

and you said you liked the jackson necks ha?well jackson makes the thinnest neck after ibanez,so seems like thin necks suit you..
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
No offense on Dean himself, they are great guitars but I just hate the V idea

V-shaped necks have been around for a long time. many vintage archtop acoustics had them and the first Fender Teles and Strats had them. There's nothing wrong with a V-shaped neck, I find them exceptionally comfortable and they don't hurt my hands like Wizard necks.

These are a little exaggerated so don't take them literally haha. Vintage archtops are closest to the hard V, vintage Fenders and '81-85' Deans (at least the ones with V necks) are closest to the soft V, and modern Deans (with V necks) are closest to the medium V.

Like I said, these are exaggerated (the C-shape is kinda thick) but the C-shape is like every other guitar ever made, U-shape is similar to vintage Gibsons and the D shape is similar to Gibson Flying V's and Wizards
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
V-shaped necks have been around for a long time. many vintage archtop acoustics had them and the first Fender Teles and Strats had them. There's nothing wrong with a V-shaped neck, I find them exceptionally comfortable and they don't hurt my hands like Wizard necks.

These are a little exaggerated so don't take them literally haha. Vintage archtops are closest to the hard V, vintage Fenders and '81-85' Deans (at least the ones with V necks) are closest to the soft V, and modern Deans (with V necks) are closest to the medium V.

Like I said, these are exaggerated (the C-shape is kinda thick) but the C-shape is like every other guitar ever made, U-shape is similar to vintage Gibsons and the D shape is similar to Gibson Flying V's and Wizards

WTF? Lmao that hard V looks unplayable... haha I know it's exaggerated but I prefer thin D shaped necks, I've never played a V neck though so who knows...

Quote by archenemyfan
a RG1570 with a pup change will cost you about 1140$..so that seems to be your best option..

and you said you liked the jackson necks ha?well jackson makes the thinnest neck after ibanez,so seems like thin necks suit you..

Lol yeah, I like thin necks, I don't have issues with the ones that are a bit thicker, but I prefer the thin ones cause they are more comfortable in my hands

hey wait, I'm checking that RG1570 and it's a 6 string Lol
I'm asking about 7 strings, if you see all the guitars I mentioned when I said about my options were 7 strings, sorry if it was not clear, I meant 7 strings
Last edited by Avl521 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Avl521

hey wait, I'm checking that RG1570 and it's a 6 string Lol
I'm asking about 7 strings, if you see all the guitars I mentioned when I said my options where 7 strings, sorry if it was not clear, I meant 7 strings

oops,then a RG1527..same as 1570 but with an added string
hmm I like it... looks good... I'm gonna have to see if I can try one though it may be hard to find one close to where I live... never seen any prestiges here... I think I'll change the pickups anyways
I quite like a Hard-V neck, my dad has a Dean Razorback Rust Tribute, which has one, and it's... "Lightning fast" ;P
jfreyvogel is a legend.

Quote by dudetheman
I am so goddamn high right now....

...and I'm watching my balls. Seriously guys, have you ever noticed that your balls actually MOVE? They like, breathe. It's weird as hell.....
Quote by Avl521
hmm I like it... looks good... I'm gonna have to see if I can try one though it may be hard to find one close to where I live... never seen any prestiges here... I think I'll change the pickups anyways

good call,its always better try something out before you buy it..
Quote by archenemyfan
good call,its always better try something out before you buy it..

Yeah I'll try, but as I've said I've never seen Prestiges around here so I'll see what I can find.
If not I'll try an RG7321 and if I like it then I know I'll like the Prestige even more
I'll see what I can find, I hope I find them, if not, how different is a prestige to an RG7321? is there a lot of difference between their quality/craftsmanship/playability?

I think I'd end up switching the pickups in the RG1527/RG7321 for John Petrucci's setup (Crunch Lab 7 Bridge, LiquiFire 7 Neck) that is off course if I like the guitar
Last edited by Avl521 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Avl521
Yeah I'll try, but as I've said I've never seen Prestiges around here so I'll see what I can find.
If not I'll try an RG7321 and if I like it then I know I'll like the Prestige even more
I'll see what I can find, I hope I find them, if not, how different is a prestige to an RG7321? is there a lot of difference between their quality/craftsmanship/playability?

I think I'd end up switching the pickups in the RG1527/RG7321 for John Petrucci's setup (Crunch Lab 7 Bridge, LiquiFire 7 Neck) that is off course if I like the guitar

comparing that to a prestige is like comparing

this

with this
didnt know there was a razorback 7 string ... but since I play the 6 string I can tell you that they are very good guitars.

But I must say you dont want to get stuck into all this spec stuff like "how wide the frets are"...frankly that wont tell you anything the only way you would know if a guitar is suitable is to try it.

And despite what a previous poster said dean hardware and designs are in no way fragile ... mines taken a serious kicking since I got it and its fine although the pointy bits are suseptable to breaking if you arent careful
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
7 string = Ibanez
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by archenemyfan
comparing that to a prestige is like comparing

this

with this

LMFAO

haha well, I was just asking because the RG7321 is cheaper, so guitar + pickups is more or less $800 while the RG1527 + pickups would be about $1300 $1400
So there's a big difference in price and maybe there was not much of a difference in quality, I for one happen to think LTDs are very good and not as expensive as ESPs so maybe it was the same with Ibanez

Quote by peterocker
7 string = Ibanez

Hmm I think it depends on what you like, some people prefer the thicker schecter necks, I prefer thin necks but have no issue with thicker ones, but yeah, I've been convinced to look into Ibanez
Quote by Avl521
LMFAO

haha well, I was just asking because the RG7321 is cheaper, so guitar + pickups is more or less $800 while the RG1527 + pickups would be about $1300 $1400
So there's a big difference in price and maybe there was not much of a difference in quality, I for one happen to think LTDs are very good and not as expensive as ESPs so maybe it was the same with Ibanez

there is a big difference in quality,hardware,neck finishing,neck dimensions,tremolo etc. etc. and also,prestiges come with a case..so thats also a plus

I think the massive amount you'll have to spend more for it is totally worth it..but, please do try it before you come into a conclusion .

Quote by archenemyfan
there is a big difference in quality,hardware,neck finishing,neck dimensions,tremolo etc. etc. and also,prestiges come with a case..so thats also a plus

I think the massive amount you'll have to spend more for it is totally worth it..but, please do try it before you come into a conclusion .

Off course I will, thanks for your help man, I will try all the guitars I like if possible and then I'll decide thanks a lot