im new to recording and i want to know what ill need to start recording with somewhat good sound quality.

i want to mic my amp, have the mic go into my computer somehow, and then i need to know where i can get a cheap (preferably free) alternative to protools(i know about audacity, is there a better option?)

so what do i need to get sound from a mic into my computer?
this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-FireStudio-Mobile-10x6-FireWire-Recording-System-105625826-i1471883.gc

will i need to buy a better sound card?

i obviously have no idea what im doing, but i would really like to start recording so what is the best cheapest way to do this?
I mic my amp, then run the mic to my mixer, and run the line out of the mixer to the line in of my PC. Works well, and I can't tell any difference at all compared to my friends interface in the end recording.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by Zach101
You'll need at least 1500 bucks to get a decent sound.

No, just no.

A good mic, interface and high end soundcard can be had for around $500 or even less if you do your shopping homework.
The site doesn't work for me.

...eh?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Matt420740
No, just no.

A good mic, interface and high end soundcard can be had for around $500 or even less if you do your shopping homework.

A "good mic" alone is worth 500 $.
Quote by Zach101
A "good mic" alone is worth 500 $.

Ever heard of a SM57? Been good enough for pro's for years. You don't have to have the most expensive mic on the market with a big fancy name just to get a good sound.
Quote by Matt420740
Ever heard of a SM57? Been good enough for pro's for years. You don't have to have the most expensive mic on the market with a big fancy name just to get a good sound.

There are mics worth 100's of thousands of dollars bud. I didn't say he needed the most expensive mic, I said a decent one that'll last. The SM57 breaks easily, its like a fragile condenser mic after about 5-6 months.
Quote by Zach101
There are mics worth 100's of thousands of dollars bud. I didn't say he needed the most expensive mic, I said a decent one that'll last. The SM57 breaks easily, its like a fragile condenser mic after about 5-6 months.

$200 a year for mics isnt that bad.
Quote by rickyj
$200 a year for mics isnt that bad.

You won't be paying $200 a year. Once you buy one you'll never have to buy another. They aren't really fragile after 6 months. I don't know where he gets that from. If you get a SM57 expect it to last for as long as you own it. Thats if you take care of it of course.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by Zach101
You'll need at least 1500 bucks to get a decent sound.

Sorrywut? You need $1500 to begin to sound PROFESSIONAL, not 'decent'. Money is subjective as far as quality goes.

TS, first of all, what kind of computer do you have? From there you can work out your interface and software. As for mic the SM57 is regarded as the work horse, and rightly so after still being one of the most widely bought and used mics in the business.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Personally I prefer the SM58 over the SM57. Either one I suppose would work for a time.

Yeah 1500 dollars was about the price my studio cost to start off.. but then again I also had to purchase a computer.. so yeah I suppose 1500 may have been a bit much lol.
The whole decent/usable/good thing is obviously very subjective.

But wow, Zach... I'm not sure where you're going with this.

First of all, a U87, considered by most to be the holy grail of "standard" microphones will run about three grand. Expensive, yes, and for good reason. But 100's of thousands?! What mics are you referring to? I don't think I've ever seen a mic in the $100 000+ range. Ever.

I mean, geez.... in my wildest dreams, I would own a U87 and a preamp by the likes of Apogee, SSL, Neve, or even Avalon. Those two things together, for a single channel, still clock in at a lot less than $10G. I'm really at a loss of what sorts of gear you're thinking of, unless you're thinking of a 48 channel SSL or Neve console, but that is SO far beyond what this guy is talking about that I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not talking about that - just that you're talking about something I've never seen nor heard of.

And SM57's being fragile?! Part of the reason they're so popular isn't so much because they're amazing mics, but because they're practically bullet-proof. What do you do to your mics that you describe a 57 as fragile?!

Now, I agree that there are lots of mics that beat the pants off a 57, but for recording a dirty electric guitar, the SM57 is right near the top of the list of go-to mics for that application in even the high-end pro studios, along with the Sennheiser e609s, which are in the same price ballpark. and the Royer R-121, which clocks in at about 6x that price. (but still nowhere near the fabled $100 000.... or even $10 000....

If you have some idea what you're doing, you can get a "decent" electric guitar recording with an SM57 and a fairly cheap interface from Tascam or M-Audio or whatever. No, it won't sound like Bob Rock or Mutt Lange, but it will be very usable.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
yeah - I want a Neve 5088... now if that Lottery ticket would just hit!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by axemanchris

Exceptionally well-informed post.

This guy's stuff - he knows it.
I don't think I really need to make the argument again, but I most certainly facepalmed when I saw "sm57s are fragile".
Quote by Matt420740

Rb500s are damn good for the money too. Only slightly more than 57s

Also, word to the wise, a lot of good recordings get done with not much. All of nirvanas first album had the guitars miked with a single sm58.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by piop
I don't think I really need to make the argument again, but I most certainly facepalmed when I saw "sm57s are fragile".

Thanks.

I used to post here a lot and then kinda got bored with it, right around the time I was modded in Musician Talk, but I think I'll start posting more here again for a bit.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by piop

Lol agreed... sm57's fragile? nooo way. they are work horses. Id be willing to bet I could run it over with my truck and it would still work.
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Seymour Duncan Pickups
Washburn WR120 Rocker Series
Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960 Lead Cab
Boss GT8
Boss Super Over Drive
Boss Super Chorus
Quote by guitarocker100
Lol I mic my Spider 3 with a Rockband mic plugged directly into Garageband. You can't get any worse than that.

Off topic I know, but you could probably get a much better sound by using the direct out from the amp. Unless you're happy with the sound that you're already getting in which case, carry on
Quote by piop
Off topic I know, but you could probably get a much better sound by using the direct out from the amp. Unless you're happy with the sound that you're already getting in which case, carry on

Yeah, i thought the direct outs had cab emulation. Unless I'm just imagining shit.