Ive been playin guitar for 3 years now and Im realizing that I am not really good at solos and lately i've been learning rhythm parts only such as those of Metallica.

Is this common for guitarists to do? I just find it easier for me and trying to learn solos like that of Metallica is just frustrating and I give up.. I recently looked up on Youtube some vids of a guy playing BLS stuff and he says that you must learn your notes on the fretboard.. I just dont find it interesting to do this.. Am I the only one?
GETCHA PULL MUTHAFUKA!!
To be a lead guitarist you have to know more theory...if you naturally hear the rhythm parts and are better with chords and low-end stuff then maybe you should pursue more rhythm guitar stuff after all
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
I don't find that weird. I mostly play rhythm parts of songs, especially in songs like that of Metallica. I've sort of dabbled in playing solos and learning different solos from songs, but I still stick to rhythm playing, and I couldn't be happier.
Tons of people prefer to be rhythm guitarists than to be lead guitarists. I'm the same way, to be perfectly honest with you. But it never hurts to still learn some solo material.

Have you considered trying to learn solos from a different genre? Why not consider diving into the blues and getting into some local blues jams? It's easy to start soloing in the blues once you learn the pentatonic patterns, and it can be a lot of fun if you've got a group of guys together.

If you like rhythm a lot, why not consider looking into some jazz? Jazz can be known to have some pretty complex chord progressions and rhythm, and can look a lot more impressive than a lead part at times.

Don't be afraid to expand beyond just one genre of solos.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
When i first started i thought the same thing u think, but then i just kept practicing and got good at doing Metallica solos. Start on a simple solo like "whiplash" or something from the same album, and keep practicing, that is if u wanna play lead.
Quote by FRACTUREDx2
To be a lead guitarist you have to know more theory...if you naturally hear the rhythm parts and are better with chords and low-end stuff then maybe you should pursue more rhythm guitar stuff after all

I don't find knowledge of leads bad even though I'm mostly a rhythm guitarist..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by ComradSputnik
no, most people don't like to work hard to get better.

So true, everyone wants to be a lead guitarist, just because they get more spot-light as a lead than if they were a rhythm guitarist, but most people who want this are too lazy to learn the required knowledge to become a decent lead guitarist.

It's the people who aren't overly bothered about what guitar they play in a band, and just play the fun, but at the same time learn a lot of things to do with lead playing, like your scales and techniques etc, as it helps them get better at guitar, meaning they can have more fun. And this shows that if you put in the hard work, even if you don't mean it, it pays off big time.

But on topic, after a couple of years of playing, you find out what type of guitar you are suited for, whether it be purely lead or rhythm, or a mix of both, and it's best if you just play towards your style for now, as you will improve better and faster, but eventualy cross over into other areas of guitar playing, like in your case, going for the solos, and even if you still struggle, you'll learn something new and it will only help you further down the line of your guitar playing carear.
well its not like i dont try to do some solos.. I like making up my own solos for fun.. Its not the hard work i'm afraid of cuz its not easy to play rhythm either at least for me at least. Im not tryin to become a lead player either but I just wanted to know if some people just have a knack for lead as opposed to rhythm ya know?
GETCHA PULL MUTHAFUKA!!
Quote by dimebag70
well its not like i dont try to do some solos.. I like making up my own solos for fun.. Its not the hard work i'm afraid of cuz its not easy to play rhythm either at least for me at least. Im not tryin to become a lead player either but I just wanted to know if some people just have a knack for lead as opposed to rhythm ya know?

No one has a knack for anything, it's all hard work and practice no matter what they say.

If you want to play lead you're going to have to do the work and that's all there is to it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I belive you can be naturally skilled ( have a knack) at something to an extent, but if you dont apply work to the natural ability, it doesnt matter whether u have the potential to be the next malmsteen.
I really like to play lead, I love to play fast melodical stuff, but I'm happy with rythm as well. I do like to throw in some quick fills every now and then.
Yeah