hey, im wondering how i can start ear training? ive been on ear training websites where they play a note and im suppose to find it, but thats too advanced, because i know nothing about it. is there something i should before i start ear training? i know basic theory and the notes on the fretboard. so ya, please help me out guys, thanks.
Well, like all things on earth, you need alot of practice first
so take your guitar or instrument and play all the songs you know
and learn more songs and more chords and if you play
a lot, you will get used to the notes and their differences
just a matter of practice and time
good luck!
man what i started doing was i learned intervals first. get somebody to play two notes on a piano, and then guess if its a major third, minnor third, perfect fourth etc. start with notes bellow the perfect fith then move up. once you get that, start training diffrent types of triads. so see if your can hear major, minnor chords, and diffrent inversions of them, as well as aug and dim chords. after you get comfortable at these practices, start tabbing out songs. thats what i did, and now i can tabb out and play by ear preety good

EDIT: ya i could never find a note on its own, its real hard. If you have the base note like in the intervals, makes it MUCH easier.
Last edited by bassbrotha at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by Loldemonwar
hey, im wondering how i can start ear training? ive been on ear training websites where they play a note and im suppose to find it, but thats too advanced, because i know nothing about it. is there something i should before i start ear training? i know basic theory and the notes on the fretboard. so ya, please help me out guys, thanks.

you will probably never get too advanced with ear training. some people don't have the ability shall we say, keep working though
Quote by Loldemonwar

Something I always found helpful was singing solfege..... scales & intervals .... MELODIES.

That will give you a great foundations.

In addition to that. learn music by ear. memorize music... complete songs.

bottom line..... GET THOSE SOUNDS IN YOUR HEAD. thats essentially what ear training is.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by LightPermeable
you will probably never get too advanced with ear training. some people don't have the ability shall we say, keep working though

What? I don't mean to come off as an asshole but first of all that is wrong and not constructive at all. Everyone can learn how to discern intervals (which is basically ear training), except people who are tone deaf, which I doubt if TS was tone deaf that he'd be able to play guitar very well (or at all). I may sound vehement but saying someone will "probably never get too advanced" is something you should not say to someone asking for advice.

Someone posted musictheory.net, that is a great site for ear training. If you don't already know them, a good place to start would be to learn the names of every interval (unison, minor second, major second, minor third, major third, perfect fourth, augmented fourth, diminished fifth, perfect fifth, minor sixth, major sixth, minor seventh, major seventh and the octave). Once you know the names offhand and remember them, you can learn how they sound.

Apart from playing them from musictheory.net, learn how they sound on a real piano and also on a guitar, the two instruments have different timbres which can throw me off sometimes. Learning intervals on the guitar is important, but learning them on the piano is good as well because it's quite easy to practice intervals on a piano (even if you don't play piano).
well heres my issue with tone death .... im prolly the most tone death person on here.. because of some shtt that happened to me as a kid and ..(i could not even get the pitch of some of the Alphabet ie.. c and Z with like 12 different letters).
i've mainly just started to think about my ear training, i hear notes in my head of a second guitar part (ie runs and a nice sounding solo, if there is no solo in a song) but i've been just exploring scales to match the notes.... now i've started a new way.. which i got from one of those click the note websites.
this is what i do:
if hearing a melody in my head 1st i can either write down 1-7 roman numerals (for 7 notes of a scale) or 0-12 (for chromatic intervals) .. i like 7 starting out and moving to 12 in a couple weeks.
this is how i think about dont take it to heart.. im no expert just experimenting
i find the lowest note in my melody which is going to be my 1 (A B C D E F G- A is the lowest)then i think of the next interval in relation to the 1 (how many numbers you have to jump to get to your pitch)
... say in my mind (using the 1-7) it is a ....... 7 then a jump to 5 back to 7 drop to 4 hammer on and pull off fast on 5 slide to 1 and go to 0 (like the end of harmonic minor or one semi tone(fret) down from my tonic. (maybe a chug breakdown sound)
then after i have it wrote i get my guitar find a good sounding root note and start my progression if something doesn't sound right i am prolly just 1 or 2 frets away so just explore and soon you should develop some sort of ease with it... and can maybe try the ear trainer website again and use my approach at it. thats how im doing it but i still haven't tried to learn a song yet but will in the near future and will be using this method....
unless one of you know something better?

also has anyone else noticed how teaching your brain the notes of a scale and remembering those note pitches has help your singing voice match those pitches too??