So today I received a Squier Bullet. Pretty uninteresting but its decent. However I've got 2 problems with it:
1) The low E (and somewhat the A) string buzz considerably if hit with medium-high intensity on any fret. Is this a simple case of rotating the truss rod or something else?
2) The low E string creates an agonizingly painful and deep hum if you play fret 12 and those around it (Even when clean). I've been intending to do some shield work regardless but I don't think that it would solve this problem particularly.

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section.
Yeah, the action on your Low E and A is too low, so an adjustment of the truss rod should do it(I'm not sure exactly how rotating the truss rod works, in all honesty...o_o), and the second problem could be that the Low E's action is so low that it's doing it, because the 12th fret is about the middle point between the nut and the bridge, so it'd be at its lowest there. I'm not 100% sure though. Try raising the action a little.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Raising the action? Would that mean tightening the truss for a straighter neck or the opposite for more bow. Somehow the second seems more logical to remove the buzz.

EDIT: Actually its not only humming but it gets MUCH louder when playing those high low E frets.
Last edited by PlistaNESS at Jun 27, 2010,
You'd want more bow, so yeah. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Raising the action means you want to raise your saddles. With the truss rod you can set how much curve you want in the neck and in what direction.

Check out this site.
For the love of all that is musical Google guitar set up before you start taking some wacky advice off the internut. If you do not know what you are doing do not just start twisting screws and bolts. This is especially true for the truss rod. you can cause permanent or expensive to repair damage to a guitar if you do not know what you are doing adjusting the thing. No setting up a guitar is not the hardest thing on Earth but, you need to know what you are doing and why you are doing it. When in doubt don't. Some times it is better to save some money and have a professional do the work for you.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Last edited by Bhaok at Jun 27, 2010,
I agree with Bhaok. I'm actually really surprised at how many people told TS to start ****ing with his truss rod right away, when there's so many other, safer options to start with. Like adjusting the action. That's probably the problem. Just set it up, and it should be good to go.

I've never touched the truss rod on any of my guitars. I've never had to. I think the only time it really needs to be messed with is when it was already messed with before.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Annoying buzz?

The first thing you should do is check to see if you're in a South African soccer stadium...

The second thing to do is take it to a tech and ask him- and if he's nice and you're polite, you may even learn how to diagnose what happened and how to fix it yourself if it happens again.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!