Poll: Which martial arts to learn?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which martial arts to learn?
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
44 27%
Muay Thai
61 37%
Kickboxing
14 9%
Others
45 27%
Voters: 164.
Page 1 of 3
So my summer holidays started and I dont really have much to do. I plan on practising guitar a lot and I also want to learn some type of martial art to get fit and for self defence. Which one should I take lessons on, Mixed martial arts (MMA), Muay thai or Kickboxing? Or do u suggest I learn something else? I prefer more stand up fighting and some ground fighting.
depends on what your looking for and what you want to do

im doing mma now and BJJ and its great submitting people and TKOing people

just depends on where you want to go with it, personally i just want to beat ass, in mma though they teach you alot of different disciplines
My friend thats here with me is a huge martial arts guy, and he says you should take Kempo.

EDIT: And now he's completely slamming Muay Thai calling it pointless and boring and saying all you guys have no idea what you're talking about when you're suggesting he take Muay Thai.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Jun 27, 2010,
You do know MMA is two or more martial arts mixed together, not an actual style, right?

And out of kickboxing and muay thai, I'd go with muay thai.
Quote by Mr.Caulfield23
depends on what your looking for and what you want to do

im doing mma now and BJJ and its great submitting people and TKOing people

just depends on where you want to go with it, personally i just want to beat ass, in mma though they teach you alot of different disciplines

Isn't MMA primarily BJJ and Muay Thai, with other sprinkled in? or am I sadly mistaken?
I'd honestly recommend that you don't limit yourself to one style, rather, learn useful techniques from any style you can and incorporate it into your own. Then again, I don't really indulge into the "art" part of the whole deal, so yeah.

But if you have to just pick one, I'd say judo or muay thai. I like judo, because it's fun to toss people all over the place.

Quote by bendystraw
Street Fighter II.

Right on. Probably sums up what most of the people in this thread know about actually fighting.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Jun 27, 2010,
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']I'd honestly recommend that you don't limit yourself to one style, rather, learn useful techniques from any style you can and incorporate it into your own. Then again, I don't really indulge into the "art" part of the whole deal, so yeah.

But if you have to just pick one, I'd say judo or muay thai. I like judo, because it's fun to toss people all over the place.

Judo is fun as hell until your instructor decides to put you in a Kagato-Jime chokehold when you're just a lowly orange belt
Quote by supersac
drunken fist

Make sure she's cool with it first, though.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
One word: Systema.

Bitch-ass UFC fighters aint got shit on Spetsnaz.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
If you prefer stand up fighting to ground, then you gotta go with either kickboxing or muay thai. Despite what most people say on here, both are good, muay thai isnt anymore bad ass that kick boxing.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by vultures?OMG
Muay thai, boxing or Krav Maga.

This
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Isn't MMA primarily BJJ and Muay Thai, with other sprinkled in? or am I sadly mistaken?

Well, one day I got bored, and was on sherdog. So I went to their power ratings and divided the power rating by how many matches they did. I then ranked each fighter and listed all the styles they did. I then turned how many thimes the styles came up into a percantage to see which syles were used the most, and it came out like this.

1. BJJ - 64.9%
2. Wrestling (all styles) - 48.6%
3. Boxing - 45.9%
4. Muay Thai - 29.7%
5. Kickboxing - 27.0%
6. Judo - 16.2%
7. Karate (all styles) - 10.8%
Try a less girly martial arts instead. Try aikido, wing tsun, boxing or judo.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Check out Wing Chung, we did in college this year, it's really fun and lots in it.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
itf style taekwon do.not the olympic style!
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by *sigh*
Well, one day I got bored, and was on sherdog. So I went to their power ratings and divided the power rating by how many matches they did. I then ranked each fighter and listed all the styles they did. I then turned how many thimes the styles came up into a percantage to see which syles were used the most, and it came out like this.

1. BJJ - 64.9%
2. Wrestling (all styles) - 48.6%
3. Boxing - 45.9%
4. Muay Thai - 29.7%
5. Kickboxing - 27.0%
6. Judo - 16.2%
7. Karate (all styles) - 10.8%

Aha

...well thanks for going to all that effort
Err Taekwondo.

Seriously, in terms of overall quality I've yet to see a better style - in case you find a good club to practice it at. If you're lucky and find a good one, you'll learn all the useful things for the street, stay in shape and become more badass. No really, some of the fancy stuff we're doing is awesomely... awesome.

Ok to be honest I can't really recommend you any style since it depends on your character and personal strengths - do you want to control your enemy (Judo, Aikido, partly TKD) or want to destroy him, without being able to control him (Muay Thai, Kickboxing etc.)?

As I've said, with TKD you learn most of both and get a good mix of them, the big plus is that you practice self defense situations which can happen any time you're on the streets, such as someone threatening you with a knife oder bat, choking you or whaterver comes to your mind. If the instructor's good, you'll get a good programm out of that.

In my personal opinion, Muay Thai and Kickboxing (yes I've practiced them both for some time) aren't really useful in terms of self defence since both are very limited in terms of techniques, Kickboxing however is the better soluion out of them.

Regarding fitness, all of them will do the trick. Just think about what you personally would like to learn (grabs, kicks, punches, all of it, part of it etc.).
I'm going in;

Rambo style
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Aha

...well thanks for going to all that effort

I do mighty things when bored.
Quote by *sigh*

I do mighty things when bored.

When I'm bored, I usually drink.

Maybe I could teach him my techniques.
Quote by soundjam
Take up barenuckle boxing.

You can get lessons from your local gyppos for a fiver.

I'd vote boxing though. Probably better for getting fit than rolling around on the floor too. I like UFC, just saying.
Quote by Masshuu
Don't do MMA. Just don't.

You do know that MMA isn't a style of martial art, right?
Last edited by *sigh* at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by UntilISleep
Capoeira

If i was a better nerd, i'd find that video of the capoeira fella doing backflips all round the ring, to get knocked out with one punch from a boxer.
Page 1 of 3