Ok this is a pretty random question... but where can I buy food grade phosphoric acid? It's used in pepsi and stuff if you dont know what it is...

I've found a few places online, but would rather go to a store if possible... I know hardware stores sell the industrial kind they use to get rid of rust... but I'm a bit skeptical of using that in something I'll be consuming
Last edited by WNxScythe at Jun 27, 2010,
Yeah. Definitely don't use the phosphoric acid from the hardware store. That stuff has much more stuff in than just phosphoric acid. When I opened up a bottle I didn't even look like phosphoric acid. It was pink in color and rather thick; similar to jelly. I guess that's why they call it Naval Jelly. Honestly, your best bet is order some online.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by Got Guitar?
Yeah. Definitely don't use the phosphoric acid from the hardware store. That stuff has much more stuff in than just phosphoric acid. When I opened up a bottle I didn't even look like phosphoric acid. It was pink in color and rather thick; similar to jelly. I guess that's why they call it Naval Jelly. Honestly, your best bet is order some online.

Food grade Phosphoric acid comes as a pretty thick syrup anyways. They add the pink stuff to the industrial form to give it a horrible taste to induce vomiting when ingested, like with methylated spirits.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Food grade Phosphoric acid comes as a pretty thick syrup anyways. They add the pink stuff to the industrial form to give it a horrible taste to induce vomiting when ingested, like with methylated spirits.
Ah, neat. When I use phosphoric acid in the lab it's rather clear and definitely not that thick, so I figured it wouldn't be too different. I guess not! And neat information on the pink stuff. Interesting how it's similar to methylated spirits.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by Got Guitar?
Ah, neat. When I use phosphoric acid in the lab it's rather clear and definitely not that thick, so I figured it wouldn't be too different. I guess not! And neat information on the pink stuff. Interesting how it's similar to methylated spirits.

It ain't good stuff to ingest, so they do things to discourage it. Lab grade phos has to be pure really, or else you can't do fun things like mix it with glycerol and do things to brain tissue and get decent results.
If you have to know I need it to lower the Ph of water I'm using to brew a special sort of tea

But I looked into it more, and it looks like I can just use distilled white vinegar instead.
Quote by WNxScythe
If you have to know I need it to lower the Ph of water I'm using to brew a special sort of tea

But I looked into it more, and it looks like I can just use distilled white vinegar instead.
When I read the first line, I was thinking, "Just use vinegar."

...then I read the second line.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Yes well I'm not much of a math/science guy hehe. More english/history

Thanks for the help anyways