Hey. I'm a reasonably good guitarist and have had experience in writing songs for the band i'm in and messing around, but does anyone know how to write instrumentals like steve vai, joe satriani and slash (to name a few)? and does anyone have any tips for people beginning this style?
Well, they (Vai and Satch at least) use the whammy bar a lot to accentuate notes and vibrato. Their guitars are basically their voices, so they make the guitar "sing". It's more about creating nice melody and feeling than superfast shredding. Ex: Vai's "For the Love of God" is pretty slow throughout, but he puts an amazing melody on top and then some frilly fast stuff in between phrases.
Have you ever just started soloing over a backng track for a while? if you haven't that may be a thing to learn, but if you already know how to do that, it's just the same basic idea. Since you don't have a singer to keep it interesting, you need the guitar to keep the song interesting, like you do when you're soloing. If you can keep the song entertaining through the entire song, keep it unpredictable, keep it original (all things you learn to do soloing and improvising), then you will have a good instrumental song.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Well it's the same as writing any song, but instead of the vocals providing the melody line, the guitar does. That's really all there is to it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well it's the same as writing any song, but instead of the vocals providing the melody line, the guitar does. That's really all there is to it.

+1. another major difference in variation. while it's true that the vocals usually provide the melody line, in the vast majority of songs, the vocal melody line is recycled - different lyrics each time make this more pleasant to the listener. you likely won't be able to pull this off with a guitar as the lead (it doesn't mean it can't be done, though).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
that was exactly what i was also looking for. i have just started playing guitar and we have a small band. I am the lead guitarist with the band plus sometimes we all together sit down for some composition as well. To introduce some freshness in our songs we decided to experiment with instrumentals only to find that we were technically not very sound enough.