sup dawgs

OK here's my dilemma: my VTM has a pretty decent gain channel, especially with a boost, but it's a real hassle to always be gettin to it and whatnot... The same settings on the hi-gain input are easily 3 times louder than the lo-gain input, and I love the lo-gain cleans. Volume knobbing the lead is hopeless, unfortunately...

So what I'm thinking is to get a wicked fuzzy-distortion to run on a nice clean setting when I'm not much in the mood for cranking my lead channel.

I'm not really trying to sound like any band or sound in particular....

What I want is HUGE bass, and almost disgusting saturation, just a generally massive sounding pedal. I'm not really looking for an octave up fuzz (although octave-down would be more welcome), and those sputter sounds are not really necessary for me. I want something that has a good "presence", like it won't sound pussy, if that makes sense, think: anti-bossmetalzone. It doesn't have to strictly be fuzz, but I'm not really looking for a Dirty Bomb or anything.

Some pedals I've been pondering:

-Devi Ever Hyperion or other Devi stuff, not really sure
-Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder, this one really interests me
-Red Witch Fuzz God II
-Some Type of Muff or clone

$250 is quite a bit, but it is the MAX I want to spend, and only if it's absolutely worth it. Less is better.

Also this is a bit off-topic but has anyone ever tried:
A) A Rocktron Zombie, might be a cheap alternative to an expensive fuzz if it's good.
B) A Tech21 American Woman? Is it an analog circuit like the Garnet Herzog? That'd be cool, but I think it's just a digital emulation...

And would preferably like to buy from MusiciansFriend or Guitar Center or Ebay Store(I'm in Canada)

So just throw out any recommendations and I'll check out some demos.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 27, 2010,
I dunno man $275 for the extra channel is a bit steep haha, I could just buy another amp to run in stereo! I was thinking about modding it myself with new caps and stuff, but tbh I just don't trust myself to do it, as I don't even know how to drain the caps. Although today I'm going to put some white vinyl on it, tomorrow maybe some lexan/acrylic and hopefully this week a touch of chrome.

I wasn't really super picky about the tone, I mean I don't mind the muddiness with the gain switches up, but with them up theres no way your getting clean by rolling the volume knob down eh.

If I come across some scrill I'm probably gonna order the ECT or the Fuzz God II, despite the price it's almost as much as an added channel!

Still surprised there's been no pedal recommendations I thought GG&A would be all over this
I LOVE fuzz pedals. From what i'm gathering in your desires, you seem to be after Silicon fuzz pedals. Have you looked at the Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz? (love that name)

A germanium fuzz you might be interested in is the ZVex fuzz factory. That thing can get crazy.

A lot of people I know like the Analogman sunface fuzz. the nkt-275 version is germanium and the bc108 version is silicon.

So in conclusion, there are A MILLION fuzz pedals out there. (I also assume you tried the old standard Big Muff pedal) oh btw of the ones you listed, my vote is for the red witch fuzzgod. Played it on my buddy's rig and it's a sexy and versatile fuzzy thing. even if you aren't using the sputter and oscillations, it's a damn good fuzz.
Not interested in the Zvex at all to be honest.

I had glanced at SUF muffs before but there were a lot of varieties.... I'll definitely look into the Triangle though..

And this probably sounds stupid but I haven't played any really decent fuzz pedals before... there are 4-5 big shops in my city, all they have is Boss and Line 6... one place far away had a Big Muff (they're ****in huge lol) but they were closing for the day so I was SOL.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 27, 2010,
I second the Way Huge Swollen Pickle, pretty awsome pedal.

A Electro Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi would probably also be to your liking.
They do a Bass Big Muff too which is decent, I have one, they're cheap too, and they have a bass boost.

The Red Witch is pretty awsome, very expensive though if I remember correctly.

Devi Ever pedals sound disgusting if you ask me, which might be what you're looking for.

Also there are millions of barely known brands that make fuzz pedals, you might find something awsome really cheap, but I don't have any directions to point you in.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The Russian Reissue Muff was on my list to buy for a while actually... I can't believe they discontinued it! I thought they were pretty popular?

Actually after listening to the SUF clips, I'm thinking the SUF-Tri isn't quite what I'm looking for... The Op-Amp Muff is slightly more to my liking it seems

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu- there's just so many choices
Quote by Tedward
The Russian Reissue Muff was on my list to buy for a while actually... I can't believe they discontinued it! I thought they were pretty popular?

I friend of mine used to use the Russian, his tone was always killer.
I'm not really sure why they discontinued it, maybe something to do with production in Russia.

You'll be able to find one on eBay though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I friend of mine used to use the Russian, his tone was always killer.
I'm not really sure why they discontinued it, maybe something to do with production in Russia.

You'll be able to find one on eBay though.

Naw man none on Ebay

Maybe just because I'm using Ebay Canada and only shows like a fraction of the results it should...
Ahh, blame Canada, it's not even a real country anyway.

Well, it shouldn't be TOO hard to find a used Russian muff, though I'm not sure which Craigslist/Gumtree like services you have in maple syrup land.
big muff w/ tone wicker / russian big muff / musket fuzz / hoof fuzz would be my choice, swolen pickle is good too. The russian and the musket fuzz are more distortiony. The pgs and tonefactor demos show them off pretty good
Last edited by pastasuit at Jun 27, 2010,
Forgot about the Musket Fuzz, I second that, awsome sounding fuzz.
Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz.

Sounds huge and you can tighten things up a little if you want a more distortion-y sound.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Super tweakable Muff with a huge bass range and a mid dial. On the cheaper end, the Boss HM-2 can get pretty thick and is a nice balance between fuzz and distortion.

Edit: The FZ-2 might be worth considering. It can be used as a clean boost, and octave fuzz, and has the 'Electric Wizard' mode which gets pretty intense.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Jun 28, 2010,
How about a Catalinbread SFT? It's more of a distortion/OD but this video seems like what you're going for... the low end is massive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU6CANrz2_I

EDIT: And +1 for the musket fuzz.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
+1 for the hoof! and the tone/wicker
Guitars
Fender USA Strat
Tele c/w Bare Knucks
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!
Really, wouldn't a Boss HM-2 or HM-3 or DOD American Metal do exactly what you want for $25-35?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Really, wouldn't a Boss HM-2 or HM-3 or DOD American Metal do exactly what you want for $25-35?

This is definitely something to consider. The HM series is a seriously under rated. Both sound great and can be had for under $50 easy. I can't speak for the American Metal though
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet