I play my electric guitar for almost 3 months I believe. It is an Ibanez SZR520.
When my birthday comes, should i consider switching the pickups to have a better quality of the sound I'm getting from it or should I just begin saving money for a new guitar when I play really really well. ( I play guitar for 8months).
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
Try getting a new amp first. pick ups don't matter as much as a good amp.
youve been playing for 8 months... dont worry about it. its too early for you to even start worrying about tone in my opinion, just keep practicing.
Thank you ricky x)
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
Quote by rickyj
youve been playing for 8 months... dont worry about it. its too early for you to even start worrying about tone in my opinion, just keep practicing.

Totally with this guy.
If you want a better tone, and better sound, what I would recommend is practice.
Keep it up and you'll sound fantastic.
try stay away from becoming a gearhead lol.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Peavey Vypyr 30W
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
^You already have a good amp, epecially for the time youve been playing. They are great practice amps, and I still use my Vypyr 15 watter for practice instead of my tube half stack sometimes. What kind of guitar are you using? New pickups will help some, but with a modeling amp like that, it wont matter AS much as if you had a tube amp. I would just keep saving your money for a better guitar man.
That is actually a pretty good starter amp wish I would have had that.
I plan to get one of those for my dorm room.

You should keep practicing. What are your goals as a player? What type of music do you want to play?

These are questions that can help decide what you should do.
I want to reach a point in which I can improvise very well, play cool songs and have the technique to play difficult songs. ( Like the solo from Master of Puppets hehe )

But I'll save money. it's the best choice

thank you for your help.
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
That's ridiculous, tone is one of the first things you should think about once you have the basics down.

THAT is ridiculous, the first thing you should do when you have the basics down is practice... get good then worry about tone. its too much to think about when your just learning how to play simple songs.
Last edited by rickyj at Jun 27, 2010,
TS, you have an extremely good beginners guitar, one of the better ones out there, the pickups in there are actually very good. Your amp is pretty good as well, so I think you should save your money, make a special account at your bank and only put money in there for your guitar equipment, and DO NOT SPEND IT ON OTHER THINGS like food, cloths, and such. If you do this, then you'll have a budget, and if you have a balanced budget for guitars, it will help a tone when you go and buy one, since you've been saving for a while.

Keep practicing, and when you feel that your guitar is starting to hold you back, then buy a new one of better quality, and repeat the process till you eventually become a professional. Which takes many years.