So I want to start learning how to sing while I play guitar to make myself more useful and more likely to get into a band what's a good way to start practicing and what would be some good songs to learn to help practice?

Thanks alot,
SinisterShadows
Quote by SinisterShadows
So I want to start learning how to sing while I play guitar to make myself more useful and more likely to get into a band what's a good way to start practicing and what would be some good songs to learn to help practice?

Thanks alot,
SinisterShadows

well 1st, I would start with your reasoning for wanting to sing.......

I would recommend that you start singing because you're genuinely interested in the activity.... and no other reason. This is really important IMO, and plays a major factor in your ability to be successful at it. It's only going to increase your chances of getting hired in a band if your good at it. If you don't genuinely want to sing in the 1st place..... you're not likely to get good at it.

So, assuming you are genuinely interested in singing....

start with easy songs. Don't get caught up in intricate guitar parts while singing....... simplify if you have to so that you can focus on your voice. eventually as you gain control there you will be able to focus on both.

Like your guitar, the voice is an instrument. it takes time to develop. Find your current range and explore that and then gradually increase the range.

Listen to your voice.... appreciate it.... enjoy the act of singing and allow yourself to develop.

THEN, when you've become a person that enjoys singing and has developed skills....... you'll be able to start thinking about utilizing the skill to get work.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 27, 2010,
The easiest way to learn to sing and play sadly is this way:

McFly - there songs are nothing but chords, and have multiple vocal chords throughout their songs. This means you develop YOUR voice which is the most important, if you get caught imitating others your tone sucks and you dont develop at all.

Second of all, youtube voice lessons;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5CWsFaVnWM

The tips this guy gives work, and i know because i've done them and i've been better off ever since

Good Luck
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Always get the instrument part down. You've got to know what you're playing inside and out. You can't think about singing and what you are playing at the same time.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Always get the instrument part down. You've got to know what you're playing inside and out. You can't think about singing and what you are playing at the same time.

or u can play a simplified version..... and/or start with songs that have simple rhythm guitar parts. But yeah, focusing on 2 unfamiliar things at the same time is difficult.
shred is gaudy music
This is something I'm trying.

As you practice scales or arps, name each degree or note as you play it. This will get you comfortable with using your voice as you play guitar. A better idea would be to match the pitch of each tone as you play/sing it.

The biggest thing is being able to get your hands to go on automatic.
I suggest you play songs like Iron Man by Black Sabbath to start with, and try singing along to it, it's easy because the vocals in that song are the same tune as the riff that you play...If you haven't heard the song listen to it and you'll know what I mean. Its a really easy song as well. Anyway, play that, and once you've got that down, move on to harder songs.

Other songs that are easy are songs that have a gap in the instrumental during the singing parts (Black Dog by Led Zeppelin, also Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth, but only in the verse bits, not the chorus) But you don't get all that much training from those ones...
Just... play your songs and sing along.
Start with the more easy ones, ofcourse.
Then, build it up.
Step 1: learn the song instrumentally throughout

Step 2: memorize the lyrics and practice singing along with the song and hitting the correct pitches

Step 3: Play the song on guitar while speaking lyrics or humming the vocal melody. Basically you're getting a grasp on the rhythm of the voice in comparison to the guitar.

Step 4: Sing the song throughout while playing each chord once and letting it sustain.

Step 5: Repeat Steps 3 & 4 over and over while incorporating more of the secondary element each time, until you are able to sing flawlessly while playing guitar.

It's actually a surprisingly long and difficult process to learn a song that requires vocals and guitar, especially if you're a beginner or if there are intricate guitar parts. It's actually a lot easier to play and sing your own songs because you have more of an understand of how to rhythms overlap and work around the other

When you play and sing you must think of the parts as coinciding. A lot of people will tell you to concentrate on the voice. Not true. You must develop an understand how both parts flow together at the same time. Sometimes they're very much a like, other times they oppose eachother, feeding off the empty space of the other (ie. Black Dog, as mentioned). Learning this somewhat like how you listen to a drum keep a beat while playing guitar and maintaining the rhythm, except this time you're performing both instruments and they both require melody, so it's more difficult.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
^ actually initially, yes its pretty hard. but once you have the song down cold then its not too bad. i usually tell people that if they can do basic math in their head, talk to somebody or watch tv and pay attention while playing the guitar then they're ready to start singing. if you're still staring at the fretboard and forgetting where to go then no, not really ready. as a guitarist i'd definitely recommend concentrating on the voice, thats where your attention needs to go once you've got the guitar part down. if you start concentrating too much on the guitar then your vocals will start sucking and coming out weak.

i also recommend basically everything guitarmunky said.
start with easy songs first, i always recommend 3-4 chord songs. theres an inherent rhythmical and timing quality with singing well while playing that you need to get used to that takes a little while.
These guys are, right. When I first started playing and singing, I practiced with some pretty easy stuff.

John Mayer was my influence to play guitar and Jim James from My Morning Jacket was my influence to sing. Since My Morning Jacket songs are pretty simple and use basic chords (especially their earlier stuff) that's where I began my practice in singing and playing.

Singing and playing isn't as hard as you think. It can be weird at first, but it's pretty easy. As everyone else said, it's important to get your guitar parts down pat first. I started singing and playing easy stuff first, now I can play some pretty intricate riffs and chords while singing. In fact, I'm going to start sharing some of my music with you guys.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
1 choose a song
2 perfect it on guitar (with your eyes closed)
3 start singing it in your mind .
4 start singing it aloud .

i think this is it , this is how i do it most of the times
Both parts have to be completely independent, not only from each other but from everything else.

Start by playing guitar along with the song. Once you have that down, try playing it without the song. Once you have perfected this, do the same for vocals until you have that perfected. Then try to start putting them together, first with the song, then without it.

And remember, start with easy stuff. You don't learn how to swim in the deep end.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea