I had my eye set on a boss gt-8. ANd its not out of the question price wise but this is what I want.
1. Great distortion like the 80's metal people (Metallica, megadeth, hair metal, ect.)

2. Able to run more then one modulation effect at a time. Like combining delay, chorus, and maybe reverb at the same time.

3. I want the ability to just hit a switch to turn an effect on and off like a switch to go to clean, turn on and off mods.

4. I like simple sound. LIke a guitar, maybe a few pedals, and amp. I dont care if it has harmonizers, flangers, pitch shifters, and all that stuff. I want basically a big mean sounding 80's metal sound, with a few effects to accent it.

Its optional but I want some variety to play around with not really use seriously but just play with. I mean for things like classic rock and all that it's not a neccessity but I want to get a decent deep purple sound just to play with not, but not required.

I was thinking maybe the boss GT-5. I want something thats simple, has enough pedals to do all the switching, and is under $300 used.

Im happy with my amp and guitars are good (Gibson, fender, bc rich, ect) I just want a really good distortion, and effects sound w/out the pain of getting single boxes, then getting adaptors, cables, hooking it all up, and on and on and on.

So what should I get?
Quote by ravenrage07
I had my eye set on a boss gt-8. ANd its not out of the question price wise....

I was thinking maybe the boss GT-5. I want something thats simple, has enough pedals to do all the switching, and is under $300 used.
I don't know where you live but a used GT-8 is around $200. Not really thrilled with the GT-8 distortion. A new Zoom G9.2TT is $300.

Used prices.... An X3 Live should be at or slightly under $300. An XT Live should be around $200. A used RP1000 around $300. A GNX4 $225 or less.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 27, 2010,
I just thought of the perfect setup for you however its a bit out of your price range.....

If you can stretch a little get a used Rocktron Prophesy and a midi board of your choosing....

It will satisfy your needs right now greatly and if you ever decide to use a rackmount setup or such you will have a good base to build upon.

Far better sounding than any of the other units mentioned IMO.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by insatanity
RP1000 has better features and now it costs $340.

Im really really thinking about getting the RP500. It's near my price range I can save up for it. Plus i've always been a digitech junky, i never liked boss pedals all that much. I think they are over priced and i'm a work horse kinda guy. If it works, sounds good, its good. I dont need a $100+ dollar pedal for a delay ya know haha.

Anyway im going to get the RP500 eventually. OR should I save up for the RP1000? I doubt i'll be gigging or in a band ne time soon since I just lost my f***in job.
Im really really thinking about getting the RP500. It's near my price range I can save up for it. Plus i've always been a digitech junky, i never liked boss pedals all that much. I think they are over priced and i'm a work horse kinda guy. If it works, sounds good, its good. I dont need a $100+ dollar pedal for a delay ya know haha.

Anyway im going to get the RP500 eventually. OR should I save up for the RP1000? I doubt i'll be gigging or in a band ne time soon since I just lost my f***in job.

hey then may be you gotta thik of buying RP355??!!
i had RP250 and upgraded to RP355 this December... and it has this stomp mode which is totally awesome!! i say if you dont have much money right now you better go with RP355. 500 is not much of an addition except the switches... it doesnt have the drum machine either i guess.. i could see myself buying RP1000 if i had money but i wouldnt much care to get RP500 now

get RP355... btw in my sig i have the last fm link to my profile where all teh guitars are recordede with my RP (old ones with 250 and newer ones with 355) and it's cab emulation... try the disembodied flier
Digitech is probably where you want to go. The Digitech pedals come with a crapload of hard rock and metal presets that are right up your alley. Most of them are tailored to nail specific songs, but if you have a brain in your head you can look at those tones and figure out how to tweak them to do whatever you want.
I was faced with a similar decision and I chose the Vox Tonelab LE. It's cheaper that the GT and to my ears it sounds better.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.