Poll: edge? no?
Poll Options
View poll results: edge? no?
i'm straight edge.
58 10%
i don't do drugs, but i don't claim edge either.
175 31%
definitely NOT edge.
46 8%
eh, to each his own i guess.
127 23%
**** straight edge.
83 15%
i do drugs, but i respect edge kids too.
69 12%
Voters: 558.
Page 1 of 10
a few of my friends are edge.
i also have friends that get high every day.
i don't do drugs but personally, i don't claim edge.

i just like to have a few beers every once in a while, or have a cigar before i play shows or record music.

however, i totally respect the edge kids.
well, the ones that aren't dickholes about it.

i don't like what straight edge has become though...

what's your take on it?
Last edited by TonyRandall at Jun 27, 2010,
Putting labels on yourself because of an action is stupid.

I guess teetotalism just isn't stylish any more, you have to call it 'edge'.
used to identify myself as 'edge', but eventually learnt that occasional social drinking isn't a big deal, and the whole movement seemed to become very elitist.
I'm not straight edge but I'm cool with it, as long as they're cool with me not being straight edge. Either side, I don't like pushy people.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Every self-styled 'straight edge' person I've met has been a complete dick about it.

stratkat
im edge but i don't shove it in peoples faces. usually im looked down upon for being edge. i hate the usual "well thats good" response; the tone in peoples voices is so condescending. maybe people around here are just dicks lol.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Totally agree. This has been going on for thousands of years without people feeling the need to create some sort of class which, in my eyes, only serves to perpetuate a belief of "better than you."
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Well to be fair, you pretty much have to be affiliated with the hardcore scene to be edge. It;s just basically a healthy lifestyle within a sub culture that more often than not promotes self destructive habits.

I don't care what people choose to do or not do to themselves. Plus there's some damn good edge bands
Quote by Kensai
I'm not straight edge but I'm cool with it, as long as they're cool with me not being straight edge. Either side, I don't like pushy people.

Kensai knows.
I usually tell people I'm straight edge because where I live just saying "no I don't drink" or "No I don't do drugs" isn't enough to get people out of your face.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
there were people who avoided drugs and alcohol before the straight edge crap. it is a poor excuse for a label, scene, culture, or whatever the kids think it is.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
It looks like I'm straight edge. I don't do drugs, don't smoke and don't consume alcohol. I might consume alcohol but it just never happens...
Well, I don't drink/smoke/do drugs, but I don't really feel the need to label it, nor raise conflict with people who do chose to drink/smoke/do drugs.

EDIT:
Quote by offthewall91
I usually tell people I'm straight edge because where I live just saying "no I don't drink" or "No I don't do drugs" isn't enough to get people out of your face.
It is quite annoying at parties when people won't drop this. They seem to take the fact that I refuse a drink as a personal insult, and keep asking for my reasons. I don't hang around you all night asking "Why are you drinking? Why are you drinking?" so don't hang around me all night asking me the reverse.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Last edited by Kilobyte at Jun 27, 2010,
If you don't like drugs that's fine, but I don't get why you need to bring attention onto yourself just because you don't do something. That applies to people who do drugs as well. No need to announce it to the world.
I don't care if someone doesn't do drugs; however, I find it stupid to label yourself as "edge", and find that most of the people who do are condescending pricks. I read an interview from the singer of AFI, and after hearing him talk down to the drug scene, and just be a general elitist, I find it hard to listen to them anymore...... seriously, fuck that guy.
Last edited by herby190 at Jun 27, 2010,
I think when people start labeling things it gets really ridiculous.

I personally don't do drugs and Ill have a drink on occasion but I never get drunk, and I never pass legal driving limit.

Labels are stupid and extremely childish.
Quote by offthewall91

this is a better way to say how i feel about it ha
Do "edge" kids refuse to take over the counter medicine like tylenol too?
He is useless on top of the ground; he ought to be under it, inspiring the cabbages
Quote by -tempest-
im edge but i don't shove it in peoples faces. usually im looked down upon for being edge. i hate the usual "well thats good" response; the tone in peoples voices is so condescending. maybe people around here are just dicks lol.

nice avy.
though, i'm pissed that Alexis cancelled their show in Boise. the only show they cancelled was where i live. they're my ****ing favorite!

anyways. that's cool man.
same with my friend.
his family are all hippies. get high every day.
he just doesn't like it. hah.

i don't really like labels. but i love seeing kids Xd up at shows and stuff. especially if they're not douche bags about it.
I never tried drugs, i never even tried a cigarette, and i don't like most alcoholic drinks.

That said, i do drink champagne at parties, and i enjoy the occasional glass of Porto wine, or scotch.

So, "i don't do drugs, but i don't claim edge either."

And i'm perfectly fine with other people's choices, even if they are d**** about it and shove their beliefs in my face.
I just don't care.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

This and

Quote by Kensai

This.

I don't mind being straight edge per se but I do believe that the label implies a kind of mindset where you're more likely to push it on other people which means you're going to piss me off...

On the subject of actually being edge... I'm a little drunk right now, I've done some drugs in my time (although not anymore) and sex is awesome.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by *sigh*
(Invalid img)

That's me.

Yeah, I'm straight edge.

Is that Gucci Mane?

I think straight edge kids are alright as long as they don't go on about it.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I heard if they take paracetamol, Minor Threat will find them and kick their faces in.

I think you mean Floorpunch, but sure.

Anyways, it's just a community for people to be a part of. There's plenty of sub cultures people don't bitch about, so why bitch about one that promotes a healthy lifestyle? And don't say "because some of them are dicks about it" because that can be said for any culture/counter culture - the shit I've put up with from drunx punx in my town...dear god

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpiRW8kMxrs&feature=related

Such great lyrics with allusion to a poem by e.e. cummings.
Last edited by technicolour at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by technicolour
so why bitch about one that promotes a healthy lifestyle?

my friend wore a shirt that said "beards not beers" on the back.
principal made him change it.

and i'm not kidding about that either.
I will smoke pot with friends and put on a shitty movie, but i don't label myself as a stoner or hardcore partier because that would be lame. The term "Straight Edge" sounds overwhelmingly positive, like they've avoided something bad, while on the other end of the spectrum there are low lifes who are living wrong. I see it the same as somebody who will put a bumper sticker of their opinions on their car; they're not trying to spread sediment for that idea by putting it there, they're advertising their superiority over people who oppose them. Maybe that's not what all these kids are doing, but that's the way i see it.
...Alcohol's a drug too... just sayin...
Quote by PluckU
OH **** YOU says the computer, YOU MAY ONLY HAVE 1, READ IT, ONE AUDIO TRACK >:O I then i got pissed off and through my tuner against a wall
Quote by technicolour

I think you mean Floorpunch, but sure.

I heard it's true from a mate of mine. If a straight edge kid takes three paracetamol in front of a mirror, Minor threat appears like Biggie Smalls does when you call his name three times. The kid that this happened to hit the calpol badly afterwards.
Quote by Craigo
There's not doing drugs, then there's proclaiming an identity from some wishy washy lyrics in a song by a 1980s hardcore punk band that burnt out quickly. It's pretty silly.

What are you talking about? There's loads of modern straight edge hardcore bands. there's festivals all over the US.

QUOTE=TonyRandall]my friend wore a shirt that said "beards not beers" on the back.
principal made him change it.
r.

that's..silly
Last edited by technicolour at Jun 27, 2010,
I'm straight edge, but I don't run around saying it to everyone who will listen. If people ask, I tell them. I don't mind people doing drugs/drinking, just when they want me to, I'm out.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Being straight edge is not a problem. However, any person putting that label on themselves is likely to be a dickhole.

It's also funny to see that they aren't that straight edge anymore when they reach legal drinking age.
Quote by TheQuailman
Being straight edge is not a problem. However, any person putting that label on themselves is likely to be a dickhole.

It's also funny to see that they aren't that straight edge anymore when they reach legal drinking age.

Earth Crisis/Metallica split coming out next month lolololol
Quote by TonyRandall
nice avy.
though, i'm pissed that Alexis cancelled their show in Boise. the only show they cancelled was where i live. they're my ****ing favorite!

anyways. that's cool man.
same with my friend.
his family are all hippies. get high every day.
he just doesn't like it. hah.

i don't really like labels. but i love seeing kids Xd up at shows and stuff. especially if they're not douche bags about it.

haha thanks, they are quite good . aww that sucks dude, i want to see them so bad ha.

well may family isn't a bunch of hippies but everyone including my girlfriend looks down on me for being edge to some degree.

well i mean i don't mind people expressing themselves as long as it isn't in my face or forced upon me haha. i don't think anyone likes douchy people no matter what theyre being a douche about ha