Alright, so as a thrash metal rhythm guitarist, playing fast, power chord riffs, what guitar would you reccomend me? This is in a thrash band very heavily influenced by Megadeth, easily our biggest influence, and our style is very similar.

PS I know I Already did a thread a while ago about thrash lead guitar, but I figure this is a different topic
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
How much are you willing to spend#? I'd say look at the ESP LTD V sereis, there brilliant.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
I would say a Flying V stlye guitar by Jackson or Esp with EMG active pickups...
Can't help you further witout knowing how much you can spend!
mm it would be nice for you any dean or ltd-esp. and for thrash would be perfect all those "V" or explorer shapes
Well hard to say,don't know what shapes you like. Brands could be.. Jackson,Dean,ESP,Ibanez,BC Rich,Gibson... Shapes King V, Rhoads, Kelly, Dean V, Flying V, Explorer, EX, RG, SV, S, JR.V, Beast.... So you should give us a shape you're looking for. If that doesn't matter.. For a Megadeth sound definitely Dave's signature Dean V is the way to go. Depends on your budget too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Eurozeppelin
PS I know I Already did a thread a while ago about thrash lead guitar, but I figure this is a different topic

It isn't. All you need for a decent thrash lead sound it something with humbuckers, beyond that it's all about amp and technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I, speaking from experience, would have to say anything by ESP. They make the majority of their guitars specifically for the kind of aggression used in metal. I have and ESP Explorer and the factory settings are perfect for thrash as well as heavier sub-genres of metal.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
This has humbuckers, reckon it can do thrash metal?
(picture)

You want my honest answer?

Yes, but probably not too well without a noise gate. Scratch that. It could do thrash metal, but it just wouldn't be my number one choice to do it with.

Maybe if I modded it with EMG's, locking bridge, locking tuners... then yeah.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's a hollow-body.

Of course it can't do thrash metal. That was a rhetorical question.

That's not really true. There are just other guitars that would be better for that kind of music.

It's like saying a Dean ML can't play jazz. I'm living proof.
If you're playing only rhythm, then really all you have to do is find something you like the feel of that has a fixed bridge.

We can't tell you what you like. What will you do if we all tell you to get a certain guitar, then you get it, and get home, plug it in, and ****ing hate the way it feels in your hands?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's a hollow-body.

Give me a hollowbody and a Deizel VH4 and I'll gladly prove you wrong.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Please don't give advice here.

No problem. You failed to realize my sarcasm.

TS, if you want to play thrash metal, you should probably look for a solidbody guitar with generally high output humbuckers. Something along the lines of a Schecter Damien/Hellraiser or an LTD-401 or higher would probably fit you perfectly.
Quote by EyeHatePunks
I would say a Flying V stlye guitar by Jackson or Esp with EMG active pickups...
Can't help you further witout knowing how much you can spend!

EMGs are terrible for thrash like MEGADETH since dave mustaine plays seymour duncans, but a jackson or esp flying V with duncans is great for rhythm, as well as scheters (if u can get a blackjack with passives, schecters are great)
Eh.
Quote by Himelnator
EMGs are terrible for thrash like MEGADETH since dave mustaine plays seymour duncans, but a jackson or esp flying V with duncans is great for rhythm, as well as scheters (if u can get a blackjack with passives, schecters are great)

I'm pretty sure he uses active Duncan Live Wires. Active pickups are pretty much active pickups so EMG's, Blackouts, etc. they don't make that big of a difference depending on the amp.
I can't say I agree about the thing that any guitar with humbuckers can do thrash properly?

It might just be me, but I find when playing on my Vintage VS6 (SG copy, good quality) I just find the fast power chord riffs to just sound a bit too...Well, just a bit off, and I find with the VS6, the thumping, palm muted riffs tend to ring a bit, like harmonics, but on a "thrash metal guitar" such as an Ibanez or Jackson, that ringing just doesen't happen, and it feels much more effortless to play these fast riffs, atleast for me anyway
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
I can't say I agree about the thing that any guitar with humbuckers can do thrash properly?

It might just be me, but I find when playing on my Vintage VS6 (SG copy, good quality) I just find the fast power chord riffs to just sound a bit too...Well, just a bit off, and I find with the VS6, the thumping, palm muted riffs tend to ring a bit, like harmonics, but on a "thrash metal guitar" such as an Ibanez or Jackson, that ringing just doesen't happen, and it feels much more effortless to play these fast riffs, atleast for me anyway

Not to toot my own horn too much or anything but I would put money on me being able to do a decent impression of thrash with your current gear.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Find a guitar that has a bridge that feels comfortable under your palm. Usually with thrash rhythm you're going to find yourself doing a lot of palm muting while still keeping up a fast pace and if you try that on a bridge with sharp saddles that are digging into your hand, it's going to get painful very quickly. I would also recommend you try looking at guitars with ever so slightly thicker necks than you would want for lead playing. Since often with rhythm playing you will find your hand ends up staying in roughly the same area for a fair period of time and it's rare to be jumping all over the neck, having a slightly thicker (or at the least, a slightly rounder) neck can help support your hand properly so your wrist and thumb won't get tired as quickly from staying in the same few places.

I would also recommend you look for a guitar where the bridge pickup volume (or matser volume, whichever) is within fairly easy reach of the bridge but isn't directly in the way of your strumming. It will be annoying if you're trying to do some fast riffing and the underside of your hand keeps knocking the volume control but at the same time rhythm players often end up using the volume control more than lead players tend to do, so it's wise to not pick a guitar where the volume control is several inches away. Explorers and the original style of Flying V are good in this regard.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Eurozeppelin

Really? I play all manner of thrash on my VS6 and I find it gives a really beefy rhythm tone, what kind of amp are you using? o_o Anyways, I've seen god-knows-how-many thrash players using Jackson Rhoads Vs, and Mustaine and Friedman both used Jacksons in Megadeth(Mustaine used his signature KV2 from Peace Sells to Risk, Friedman used Rhoads Vs and Kellys throughout the 90s), so I'd see if I could get a Jackson.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
An LP of some sort might work very well for you.

Check out Gibsons (if you can afford them,) ESP Eclipses, or an Edwards if you can find one.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's a hollow-body.

lead guitarist to anvil plays a custom hollow-body v, his tone is undeniably classic thrash
Any guitar that is solid-body, with high ouput pickups, will do thrash metal.

Everything else is preference.
ibanez RG

/thread
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
Quote by ibrahimasood
How much are you willing to spend#? I'd say look at the ESP LTD V sereis, there brilliant.

I agree, they're good value for the money too.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
What guitar do you have know ? It might be better to get a new amp instead.

I have the mesa boogie mark iic+ and that amp is insanely good for thrash, i play a gibson sg, epi LP(low output humbuckers) and a strat copy, and all guitars sounds amazing for thrash with that amp, even the strat
Well the guitar and amp I have now is a Vintage VS6, and a Marshall Valvestate VS100 Head, with a VS 4x12 Cab. I actually love my amp, and I've been told these VS100s are actually great for thrash metal, Megadeth style.

The settings I've been using ar: Gain: 10, Middle: 6, Treble: 8, Bass: 5, Contour: 5 Which I've found is a fairly awesome tone for thrash in the style of Megadeth.

Ps By the way, I do quite dislike active pickups from my experience with them.

Oh and a question regarding Explorers...Do they have thin necks, and also, if I was considering buying one, it would be an Epiphone or one of the copy ones? Are these any good?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Well the guitar and amp I have now is a Vintage VS6, and a Marshall Valvestate VS100 Head, with a VS 4x12 Cab. I actually love my amp, and I've been told these VS100s are actually great for thrash metal, Megadeth style.

The settings I've been using ar: Gain: 10, Middle: 6, Treble: 8, Bass: 5, Contour: 5 Which I've found is a fairly awesome tone for thrash in the style of Megadeth.

Ps By the way, I do quite dislike active pickups from my experience with them.

Oh and a question regarding Explorers...Do they have thin necks, and also, if I was considering buying one, it would be an Epiphone or one of the copy ones? Are these any good?

Explorers do have thin necks. They aren't extremely thin, but still thinner than an SG or an LP neck.

The Edwards Explorer copies are some of the best, but they are hard to get. The ESP EX's are great copies as well.

The Epiphone is good if you are on a budget, but it is still not a high-quality guitar.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.