Looking to buy a cello, and was wondering how expensive they are, after buying everything you need. I've seen some of the cheaper ones go for $1,200 or $1,300.

Also, how steep is the learning curve? Learning the basics of guitar took me a few months, and I thought I'd be able to transfer some of the guitar techniques to the cello.

Does anyone have any experience with an electric cello?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I play cello a little and it's a WAY different instrument to play than guitar. For starters, there's no frets- it's all about the ear. Then there's the bow.

Electric cellos tend to be a waste of time unless you're going to drop the extra for an amp to go with it.
So Fassa, do you only play it a little because its a pain in the ass?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
So Fassa, do you only play it a little because its a pain in the ass?

I only play it a little because I don't need to play it often.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Instruments Fassa claims to play;

Guitar
Bass
Drums
Cello
Violin

Do a line-up shot or you're bullshitting.

My cello is currently 300 miles away for repair. But I can provide a shot of all the other instruments together.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Instruments Fassa claims to play;

Guitar
Bass
Drums
Cello
Violin

Do a line-up shot or you're bullshitting.

Seriously, is that so strange? Guitar and bass are quite similar, so are cello and violin, and many people play drums.

On topic:

I totally wanna plug an electric cello into a Triple Recto fullstack sometime.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Go on.

You have to hold up a piece of paper with 'UG 27.6.10' on it.

I'll put up a pic on my profile at some point...I'm too tired to start setting up my drumkit again and getting all my instrument cases out.
I've attempted cello, I'm more of an upright bass player though. It's almost impossible to learn on your own. Unlike guitar, you NEED to take lessons for orchestral strings.
I know 3degreesofbass plays cello. I don't know much about it myself...

APOCALYPTICA RULES.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I want to learn to play violin like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxj0H8TnpaM
I believe that's the best thing I've ever seen you post. That was beyond amazing.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by Got Guitar?
I believe that's the best thing I've ever seen you post. That was beyond amazing.

She's a great violinist....she's also pretty damn hot. I'd play her AND her violin!
Quote by Got Guitar?

If you were a Samuel Barber fan, youd think that she just took a dump on adagio for strings

EDIT: That song as it SHOULD be played

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRMz8fKkG2g

DJ Tiesto needs to quit ruining classical music
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I want to learn to play violin like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxj0H8TnpaM
Awesome, almost gave me goosbumps. Needs more gain, though. And she needs to eat some hamburgers.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
She's a great violinist....she's also pretty damn hot. I'd play her AND her violin!
I think that's one of the few things most people here will agree with you on.
Quote by tubatom868686
If you were a Samuel Barber fan, youd think that she just took a dump on adagio for strings

EDIT: That song as it SHOULD be played

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRMz8fKkG2g

DJ Tiesto needs to quit ruining classical music

There are no "shoulds" in music. I like both versions.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

For the people who say that orchestral instruments are the same, NOOOOOOOOOOOO. I played violin and viola for 10 years then added guitar and cello into the mix after that. Both are extremely different. The cello is an upright instrument and the left hand is a totally different thing than other instruments for example.

But to answer your questions,
1. Cellos have a huge range in value and you can't put an exact range for it but as a beginner you can go rent one. It'll be better too incase you want to quit, you don't have to sell the cello yourself.

2. Cello and guitar are totally different. You could probably just bring music theory from guitar to cello and your practice discipline. And again, you'll need to learn bass clef as guitar's in treble. Definitely get an instructor if you're planning on taking up cello. GET AN INSTRUCTOR.

3. Yeah electric cello is great really. It adds another dimension into your playing.
I've played cello for a while now, once you knownthe basics, you learn a lot, fast.
The basic techniques however are not too easy to pick up and playing it is not very similar to a guitar. As for pricing, they tend to range from £1000 to around £25000. I have never tried an electric cello myself but I know people who have and they have said that they are great.
Hi , im luke, i play guitar
Quote by xGoozx
2. Cello and guitar are totally different. You could probably just bring music theory from guitar to cello and your practice discipline. And again, you'll need to learn bass clef as guitar's in treble.
Dunno about you, but my guitar doesn't do no treble clef.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Urrgghh....Tiesto is terrible.

You know that the link you quoted is DJ Tiestos take on Adagio for strings right?

And whoever said there are no shoulds and shouldnts in music, your wrong. In classical music, there are definitely shoulds and shouldnts. You wouldnt have people use the script for Romeo and Juliet but change the setting to a rave, and you shouldnt do a techno remix of adagio for strings
Quote by tubatom868686
You know that the link you quoted is DJ Tiestos take on Adagio for strings right?

And whoever said there are no shoulds and shouldnts in music, your wrong. In classical music, there are definitely shoulds and shouldnts. You wouldnt have people use the script for Romeo and Juliet but change the setting to a rave, and you shouldnt do a techno remix of adagio for strings

You're right, there are shoulds. If you wanna do Romeo and Juliet in a rave setting, you should do that.

I for one, would watch that shit.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
You're right, there are shoulds. If you wanna do Romeo and Juliet in a rave setting, you should do that.

I for one, would watch that shit.

I disagree, and so would the whole classical world

Also, if you wanna talk about her individual performance, I found it to be stale
Quote by tubatom868686
I disagree, and so would the whole classical world

Also, if you wanna talk about her individual performance, I found it to be stale

You mean that pretentious, elitist world? No surprise there.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Dunno about you, but my guitar doesn't do no treble clef.

hahahaha...i lol'd
Quote by Kanthras
You mean that pretentious, elitist world? No surprise there.

Do you know any classical musicians? You spend your whole life perfecting your music to be a certain way; you get defensive about it. When people take something you love and turn it into a techno song, your heart breaks a little.
^^Seriously I absolutely hate the pretentious attitude in the classical music community. It's disgusting.

A lot of classical music is incredible but some of the a-holes that play it make me wanna puke.
Quote by tubatom868686
Do you know any classical musicians? You spend your whole life perfecting your music to be a certain way; you get defensive about it. When people take something you love and turn it into a techno song, your heart breaks a little.
I get it, you don't like techno. It's not as sophisticated, it doesn't take as much skill to play. That's fine, don't listen to it. But others do like these interpretations and it's not like these "covers" diminish the originals.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
I get it, you don't like techno. It's not as sophisticated, it doesn't take as much skill to play. That's fine, don't listen to it. But others do like these interpretations and it's not like these "covers" diminish the originals.

I disagree. If you know any classical composers, you know the painstaking effort though go through to get perfect chords, notes, articulations, voicings, etc etc. EVERY last piece, right down to the way the score is written has to be perfect.

They are written so perfectly so that they can paint a perfect moving portrait through sound. Covering them as techno songs destroys the fabric of the canvas the music is on, and to someone such as myself, ruins any meaning the song had.
Quote by tubatom868686
I disagree.

I think it's a shame you think that way. May I ask why you think so?

edit:

Quote by tubatom868686
I disagree. If you know any classical composers, you know the painstaking effort though go through to get perfect chords, notes, articulations, voicings, etc etc. EVERY last piece, right down to the way the score is written has to be perfect.

They are written so perfectly so that they can paint a perfect moving portrait through sound. Covering them as techno songs destroys the fabric of the canvas the music is on, and to someone such as myself, ruins any meaning the song had.

Yes, the techno covers simplify the compositions. I can understand how the meaning of the song is lost to you in the cover. But how does this affect the original?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by Kanthras
I think it's a shame you think that way. May I ask why you think so?

Check out the edit.

To me its like recreating the mona lisa with rubix cubes. Its a cool concept, but it strips away the art.

EDIT: It doesnt affect the original, except that the original starts to become lost.

Now dont get me wrong, I have tons of problems with the way classical musicians approach music. I think were stuck in the past. We play concerts of all music that was written 200 years ago and then complain when people dont come. I think classical musicians need to start playing music written by living composers. But that doesnt make me any less defensive about the old stuff

What Im getting at is that its impossible to capture all the intricate beauty with techno sounds, and that DJ Tiesto would be better off writing his own music than trying to recreate something thats already been perfected
Quote by tubatom868686
Check out the edit.

To me its like recreating the mona lisa with rubix cubes. Its a cool concept, but it strips away the art.

EDIT: It doesnt affect the original, except that the original starts to become lost.

Now dont get me wrong, I have tons of problems with the way classical musicians approach music. I think were stuck in the past. We play concerts of all music that was written 200 years ago and then complain when people dont come. I think classical musicians need to start playing music written by living composers. But that doesnt make me any less defensive about the old stuff

What Im getting at is that its impossible to capture all the intricate beauty with techno sounds, and that DJ Tiesto would be better off writing his own music than trying to recreate something thats already been perfected

I definitely get where you're coming from.

Just wanted to add that the original was hardly perfect. I mean, how suitable is it for getting hot chicks to dance at a party? Right, not very.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
I definitely get where you're coming from.

Just wanted to add that the original was hardly perfect. I mean, how suitable is it for getting hot chicks to dance at a party? Right, not very.

Perhaps, BUT it was never written for that. I think its perfect at what it was written for
[Trying to get back on topic...]

I may have possible access to a cello, my friends mom used to play, so I could attempt to teach myself, but would that just be a waste of time?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
[Trying to get back on topic...]

I may have possible access to a cello, my friends mom used to play, so I could attempt to teach myself, but would that just be a waste of time?

I wouldnt try to teach myself. If nothing else, just get your first 4 or 5 lessons. If you take really good notes, and play close attention, and take what your teacher says to heart, you can get some pretty good mileage out of a few lessons.

If you have any hopes of playing outside of your house, your gonna need a teacher
Quote by tubatom868686
I wouldnt try to teach myself. If nothing else, just get your first 4 or 5 lessons. If you take really good notes, and play close attention, and take what your teacher says to heart, you can get some pretty good mileage out of a few lessons.

If you have any hopes of playing outside of your house, your gonna need a teacher

Thats great and all for someone in the city, but I don't live in city, or largely populated area. The next closest guitar store is like 4 hours away. I could possbly put up an ad for a cello teacher, but it probably wouldnt do any good. Would internet lessons possibly suffice? If I was able to bring it home?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive