Hey guys, I'm the lead guitar player for Hellcannon (myspace.com/hellcannon) and I just acquired some money and wanted to improve my tone.

I'm kinda going for a Jeff loomis/Marty friedman/ Alexi Laiho Lead guitar tone

Current gear:
Peavey JSX (not goin)
ESP M50 w/ Emgs (not goin)
MG Cab (gotta go!)
Isp Decimator pedal

I've been thinking about replacing the Mg cab with either a Mesa rec cab or a Marshall 1960A/B cab. I'm just not sure which is better suited for the JSX and/or the type of music i play.

Also I've been thinking about getting an OD pedal but i'm not sure whether to go with a Maxon or a tubescreamer.....

Basically i just need help choosing a new cab, and maybe an OD/solo boost pedal

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Both of those cabs should work fine for that kinda stuff really, depends how much money you have?

I prefer Tubescreamers, but that's just opinion really.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
most people prefer maxon over ibanez, but it all comes down to personal taste

btw, i would also reccomend changing your guitar, it has cool pickups and you may like it, but dont you think you should get a more high end guitar and use this as a backup?

also, i don't know where you are from, but you might try to get a Vader or Avatar cab. they have really good quality and prices. Research a bit on speakers
hello

n.n
Those are some very different tones..Nevermore has a really different tone than Alexi Laiho or Children of Bodom, Marty Friedman doesn't do metal that much anymore,if you mean his Megadeth years that is also really different from Children of Bodom/Nevermore. And a ESP m-50 with EMGs? Oh come on... Your first or second guitar and you upgraded nearly more expensive pups on it than the guitar itself? I mean like it has a basswood body,a bolt-on neck..cheesh.. I think the guitar should go instead of cab..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Go for the Mesa for sure! I own the Marshall 1960 B cab and it's great but the Mesa is much better for getting a good chunky metal tone. Also as mentioned above, Vader cabs are GREAT metal cabs. Also the Maxon or TS should both work pretty well. I would recomend using it to tighten up your tone rather than using it to add more distortion.
Quote by Demonhunter04
You are my hero nodurquack.
Last edited by nodurquack at Jun 27, 2010,
If you are going for that metal lead tone i would go with the Mesa cab and the maxon. That is what alot of lead players use. Jon Donais of shadows fall uses the maxon and the same speakers that are in the mesa cab are in his rivera cab. Also bands like bullet for my valentine, and avenged sevenfold use a maxon OD and Mesa cab combo.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by Sakke
Those are some very different tones..Nevermore has a really different tone than Alexi Laiho or Children of Bodom, Marty Friedman doesn't do metal that much anymore,if you mean his Megadeth years that is also really different from Children of Bodom/Nevermore. And a ESP m-50 with EMGs? Oh come on... Your first or second guitar and you upgraded nearly more expensive pups on it than the guitar itself? I mean like it has a basswood body,a bolt-on neck..cheesh.. I think the guitar should go instead of cab..

EMG's suck all tonality out the wood anyway so it wouldn't make a difference if he bought a new guitar with EMG's, it'd sound the same.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
wow thanks a lot for the feedback everybody!!

the guitar isn't going though, i love that thing like a child, and honestly it has great tone and feel. It'll be back-up after i can afford a higher end guitar though.

also, i dont plan on using the OD for gain, only tightening up.

I have about $750, and can find both of those cabs used for around 500. I'm pretty familiar with speakers, but i'm searching for a modern metal tone, but i'm also trying to avoid sounding too modern... (metalcore, etc. etc.)

I've looked into vader, but i think it's too expensive..

also compatibility with my peavey JSX is very important. I've heard a triple rec out of a peavey windsor cab.... it didn't sound right
Last edited by KG Karnage at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by Chrisiphone
EMG's suck all tonality out the wood anyway so it wouldn't make a difference if he bought a new guitar with EMG's, it'd sound the same.

not really, the difference between actives and other pickups is that they have less impedance but have a preamp to compensate for it; therefore, they need batteries to make the pream work. saying that they sound like crap because they are active would be equivalent to saying that using a preamp, or any kind of volume/drive/dist/EQ pedal makes you sound like crap. they have low impedance to make their sound clearer, so they are actually less 'sterile' than dimebuckers, invaders, X2Ns and the likes. also, sterile is a stupid word.

anyway TS, i was gonna say that the tones you are asking for are kinda different, but i suppose the JSX+OD will be enough in terms of gain, but i don't know if it will be voiced right for a children of bodom-like distortion. I would sugest an EQ pedal, if you can buy the MXR 10-band it would be great, but really, a Dano Fish & Chips can do great changes to your tone.

EDIT: well OP, have you looked at craiglist or ebay, or even pawn shops for cabs? you might find some cool things there. also, you might find really cool guitars for $300, so give it a try.

and the mesa+windsor is exactly what you are doing. you're running a cool amp into a sh*t cab...

BTW, i understan you dont want to sell the M50 (i never said sell it), but you could really find something more profesional,
hello

n.n
Last edited by BusterSword at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by BusterSword
not really, the difference between actives and other pickups is that they have less impedance but have a preamp to compensate for it; therefore, they need batteries to make the pream work. saying that they sound like crap because they are active would be equivalent to saying that using a preamp, or any kind of volume/drive/dist/EQ pedal makes you sound like crap. they have low impedance to make their sound clearer, so they are actually less 'sterile' than dimebuckers, invaders, X2Ns and the likes. also, sterile is a stupid word.

anyway TS, i was gonna say that the tones you are asking for are kinda different, but i suppose the JSX+OD will be enough in terms of gain, but i don't know if it will be voiced right for a children of bodom-like distortion. I would sugest an EQ pedal, if you can buy the MXR 10-band it would be great, but really, a Dano Fish & Chips can do great changes to your tone.

EDIT: well OP, have you looked at craiglist or ebay, or even pawn shops for cabs? you might find some cool things there. also, you might find really cool guitars for $300, so give it a try.

and the mesa+windsor is exactly what you are doing. you're running a cool amp into a sh*t cab...

BTW, i understan you dont want to sell the M50 (i never said sell it), but you could really find something more profesional,

I never said they sounded like crap...

All I said was because of the internal preamp and active nature of the pickups, they take less to no tone from the tonewoods of the guitar.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I love how you say your the guitarist for Hellcannon as if anyone's ever heard of them.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by Chrisiphone
I never said they sounded like crap...

All I said was because of the internal preamp and active nature of the pickups, they take less to no tone from the tonewoods of the guitar.

well, that's a point, but the influence of the tonewood on TS's tone would be little to none, because of the own nature of his tone....

which means you were right on your first post, and now i feel all stupid D:
hello

n.n
What you COULD do about the guitar is mod the pickups to be 18v. It improves the quality of sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Chrisiphone

Could you perhaps elaborate on this a little further? As in, the science behind it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I've heard good things about Mesa Boogie Amps for metal. But, seriously what tone do you want out of the 3 you mentioned, haha? Very different. From your recordings your band has a very thrash sound. Also, I prefer SDs over EMGs for metal, but that's just me.
check out avatar cabs for most definite! then the speaker choice can be up to you, and you are not limited to the brands avatar offers. you can check out some cooler less name brand speakers like scumback and warehouse guitar speakers :]

as for the guitar, if EMG's really DO cover up the sound of a tonewood, wouldnt this be a win for the TS? i mean it is basswood? :P
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
That's not a particularly good guitar at all, but if you like the feel of the neck then I think that guitar is fine, because I agree that it dosn't matter too much what the guitar is made out of if you have EMGs in it, I don't think EMGs sound bad, but I think almost all guitars with EMGs sound pretty much the same. With passive pickups the wood else everything else on the guitar has a lot more to do with tone.

Because of this, infact even if you had the stock pickups in that guitar, I think that upgrading your cab will benefit your tone a lot more than a new guitar. Playing a high end guitar through a nice amp like yours, through an MG cab, is like, having sex with the most beautiful woman you have ever seen, whilst she is covered in poo.

The Mesa will be a better option for metal in general, if you can afford it.
I've also seen various types of metal bands playing through Orange cabs, they almost always sound good.

Avatar and Vader seem to be recommended a lot if you're in the US, no experience with these though personally.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by GoIrish668
I love how you say your the guitarist for Hellcannon as if anyone's ever heard of them.

LOL dick. it was to give you an idea of the sound i'm looking for, plus free publicity

I liked fuzzlove's answer, the rest was really unneccesary elitist arguing over my guitar.. and wood... and pickups...

Thanks to everyone that helped...
Quote by Raijouta
What you COULD do about the guitar is mod the pickups to be 18v. It improves the quality of sound.

+1

An 18v mod is a quick and easy way to improve your tone that will give you noticeable results