Hey,

Any suggestions on a good tube amp that I can use for recording and small gigs? I'm guessing 15watts is enough? I play british indie/alternative/post rock

The cheaper the better - I'm on a pretty tight budget. Although I am happy to buy second-hand.

Thanks in advance.
15 watts? how small is this gig? go for something with a little bit more juice than that
Quote by rickyj
15 watts? how small is this gig? go for something with a little bit more juice than that

I'f it's a decent sized gig, it should give him a chance to dime the 15w, get a sweet tone from the tubes.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
30watts sounds about right, it's not twice as loud, but it's considerably louder. It should suit you well.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
It all really depends on the amp, the 5 watt setting on my new amp is as loud if not louder than the 15 watt amp I was using before, and that 15 watter wasn't exactly quiet.

Many 15 watt amps will be able to handle small to medium sized gigs, though I suppose people definations of small to medium sized gigs differ.

Vox AC15 sounds like it'd be able to do those types of music, sounds good enough to record, and will handle gigging.

Keep in mind, you'll be miced if you're playing at a proper venue anyway.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
OK. The recording is the important bit - not so much gigging. So, which 30 watt tube amps would u recommend?

The ac30 may be out of my budget.
30 watts tube is complete and total overkill for recording. heck, 5w is overkill for recording if you are anywhere where you have to be conscious of your neighbors.

a 15 w amp is enough to gig with if you dont want really clean cleans. turning a 15w tube amp up to be heard in a venue will get you some nice grit. great if you want it, not if you dont. for those styles, i would think you would want some of that grit. 15-20W is fine for small gigs, and still lets you get a little bit turned up for recording. 30W will have a good deal more clean headroom, so thats nice if you need it.

anyway, the aforementioned ac15 sounds like it might suit you, check it out.