Our singer sent me a recording of her singing a song she had just written and she wants me to write something to it. Idek where to begin. Usually I write something and she writes lyrics to it. So it is something new to me. But I'm having a really tough time. Can anyone give me some tips?
1. play in key
2. stay in time
3. match the feel
4. have fun with it!
The way I usually do it;

1. Figure out melody of song.

2. From this figure out key of song. (You usually have a choice between major and it's relative minor, which is interesting - you can change the feel of it).

3. Once you have the melody and the key of the song, this opens up a palette of chords for you to choose from. Usually the most appropriate ones are traditionally in key, and share a chord tone from a note of the vocal melody. So if the singer hits an E note (in the key of Emaj), you could play E major under it, but you could also have the choice of playing A maj or C# minor under it, as E forms part of their chord tones as well.

4. Experiment with different chord progressions until you get one you like.

5. Rejoice!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
how do I figure out the key of a song? >.< just hit random chords till one sounds right?
Quote by kh2xiii
how do I figure out the key of a song? >.< just hit random chords till one sounds right?

No sorry, studying key theory would be the best way to figure it out.

But hey, on the bright side you've found one of the reasons music theory is worth learning
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud