Hey guys,

So I recently picked up a Zvex Box of Rock. It's great for doing that 70's rock thing (think Hendrix, School's Out, Slow Ride by Foghat...). My problem is, I still want to be able to hit those other 80's rock/metal tones (think Slash, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Black Sabbath...).

So anyways, my question is, how can I somehow get more drive out of it? Should I try stacking another overdrive infront of it (I read about some guy doing it with a TS, and I tried with my DS-1, sounds meh). If I do try this, which should I try? A TS-9, a SD-1, a Bad Monkey, an OD-3, something else I haven't mentioned?

Or instead of stacking ODs, should I just find another pedal that could handle those tones on it's own? My teacher has a MXR Fullbore metal, I like the tone of it, but it is waaaay to complex for my tastes (too many knobs, to many features). Should I just look into a metal pedal like a Boss Metal zone, Digitech Death Metal (or again, something else)?

I would really only like to spend $50-$75 but would be able to stretch for something really good (if a TS would be perfect...).

Thanks in advance.
Strat Copy
Epi Les Paul Black Beauty
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

AB>Crybaby Standard>TU-3>DS-1>DS-2>ML-2>ZW-44>B.O.R.

EHX LPB-1>Phase 90>Milkshake Chorus

"Keep on rockin' in the free world"
Quote by LesPaulGuy5544
So I recently picked up a Zvex Box of Rock. It's great for doing that 70's rock thing (think Hendrix

Well, Hendrix wasn't around for much of the seventies... I would definitely call him a 60s rocker. But whatever.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
mxr micro amp.
fulltone ocd
boss blues driver.
that sort of stuff.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
Quote by FRACTUREDx2
mxr micro amp.
fulltone ocd
boss blues driver.
that sort of stuff.

for stacking...i mean
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

3. A bottle of water.
Generally avoid anything that has the word "metal" in it's name. But Fractured was pretty spot on, I'd say OCD is your best bet.

Fractured, where is that line in your sig from??
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Putting a boost with it will probably sort that out.

In that price range a Bad Monkey will be a good choice, though TS would be better if you wanna pay more money. Nobody will be able to tell you what will be perfect though, it's preference.

The Digitech Death Metal sounds absolutly horrendous if you ask me.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Generally avoid anything that has the word "metal" in it's name. But Fractured was pretty spot on, I'd say OCD is your best bet.

Fractured, where is that line in your sig from??

Kramer - Seinfeld (the library episode)

3. A bottle of water.
K thanks guys, I would love to get an OCD but they are just really expensive. Is there something like it cheaper?

At this point, Bad Monkey it is.
Strat Copy
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

By the way, I'm sure you get a lot of this around here, but I'm pretty sure the MG isn't helping. And unless you need this for a gig in the near future, why not just save and get the better pedal?

Quote by bogg808

Oh, hold on a minite, I didn't realise you have an MG, I just assumed that anyone that has Zvex pedals would have atleast a decent amp.

You have spent far too much money on pedals and stuff for somebody with such a poo amp, next on your shopping list should be a nice amp, definatly, even before you buy the boost.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
That was my thought too before I checked his sig. Since you want classic rock tones, and you seem to be on a bit of a budget, I'd check out some JCM clones (I can't for the life of me remember who does them or what they're called, but I'm sure someone will). Give me a sec to google, I'll be back with an edit.

Bugera 1990 is supposed to be a decent JCM 800 clone, but I've heard sketchy things about their build quality. I think that was the one I'd heard about. Also, if you have some more cash Ceriatone's JCM 800 clones are supposed to be very good. Just some ideas, I'm sure someone else will come along with better ones, haha.

Quote by bogg808

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Jun 27, 2010,
Funny you guys should mention that, (and yeah I get alot of it) heres the situation:

I got a job this summer,

I'm building up my GAS list which at this point includes (preferably in this order):

Amp: Bugera v22/v55 or Marshall ma50c
Wah: Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
This Pedal: Bad Monkey
Power: Visual Sound 1 Spot
Guitar: Either an Electric Acoustic (cause I really need one, I get asked to do a lot of acoustic stuff) or a LP full of EMGs (just for fun :P )

And a little note about why I bought the Zvex, I plan on playing in a worship band at my youth group and I found a Marshall with gain on 10 was just a little too much...I found a used B.O.R. in L&M and gave it a whirl. After nearly blowing up a Line 6, I played some of my stuff on it and it was just the right gain level for that kind of stuff.

Thanks mcraddict81592, just a 100 watt tube head seems a little much...for playing a medium sized gig with drums, would you go with a v22 or a v55? Thanks in advance. (thanks for putting up with my slight topic change.)

Thanks again guys
Strat Copy
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

That is a good order to buy your new stuff in

A Marshall MA is a pretty lame amp though, sure, it's 10 times better than your MG, but don't be fooled into thinking it will have that classic Marshall tone just because it's tube, because it dosn't. It's Marshall's 'entry level tube amp', a way of them trying to get you to buy an unneccisary amp between your practice and your long term upgrade. I wouldn't do it.

Bugera don't get many bad words said about them these days, but I have no experience with either of those amps.

What's worship? Like Christian rock? I didn't realise you needed a lot of gain for that.

Most of the time, with most amps, for most types of music, you'll get better tone by backing off the gain a little, and turning up the volume.

You're right, a 100w tube amp is too much for almost all situations if you ask me.

If you like the sound of your BOR now, wait till you hear what it sounds like through a proper amp.
That is a good order to buy your new stuff in

There's a method to my madness

A Marshall MA is a pretty lame amp though, sure, it's 10 times better than your MG, but don't be fooled into thinking it will have that classic Marshall tone just because it's tube, because it dosn't. It's Marshall's 'entry level tube amp', a way of them trying to get you to buy an unneccisary amp between your practice and your long term upgrade. I wouldn't do it.

I will admit it does look pretty cool, but I have pretty much crossed it off as a legit option.

What's worship? Like Christian rock? I didn't realise you needed a lot of gain for that.

Not a lot of gain persay, A) I just like keeping my options open, I still want to be able to turn the drive up and rip out Crazy Train should the need arise B) Something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE_03DLrlwQ whatever you would define that as...

Most of the time, with most amps, for most types of music, you'll get better tone by backing off the gain a little, and turning up the volume.

Genius, but this very philosophy still has me puzzled about what wattage to get (22 vs 55). As I said, I want to keep all my options open.

If you like the sound of your BOR now, wait till you hear what it sounds like through a proper amp.

I actually can't wait. I was floored when I plugged it into my MG (versus the Line 6).

Thanks again.
Strat Copy
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

Last edited by LesPaulGuy5544 at Jun 27, 2010,
Yeah that's not particularly high gain, so most tube amps should be able to do something similar.

If you wan't to keep your options open as much as possible the 55 will be a better option.
It isn't high gain, but I just want that plus more...

Would a 55 watter also be a viable bedroom amp, without ticking off the neighbours (well acutally, no nevermind, he's my boss...). The v series do have the pentiode/triode (?spelling?) switch. I've only ever played a tube amp a handfull of times and both were 100 watt Marshall heads (TSL and 4100) in giant rooms so I don't have a solid grip on the volume range of these kinds of things...

Thank-you so much for all the advice.
Strat Copy
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

If it's 55 watt, that's very loud, if you turned it all the way up and played it, you wouldn't be able to stand next to it without being in pain.

The more you turn a tube amp down in volume, the less it is fullfilling it's potential, and so it won't sound as good. But that's not to say that it won't sound 'good' it'll probably sound just fine for bedroom practice. If it has a switch to lower the power, perfect.
Ok, thanks man.

Whoa, two birds in one thread...

Thanks again...watch the sig for gear updates

Hope to talk to you again sometime
Strat Copy
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

55 watts should, in theory, be able to get really loud but also sound alright with the master pretty low.

Depends on the amp, I'm not sure about the V55. I've played a Marshall JTM60 which was at a reasonable volume halfway up and then theres my Peavey 60 watter which is deafening at the same setting.

EDIT: a couple cool pedals to check out would be the Pigtronix Aria Disnortion and the Catalinbread SCOD, as well as the OCD and others. They would be good standalone distortions imo.
No worries man