Page 1 of 2
i just bought a 2 channel mesa dual rectifier. it sounds good but i am thinking of sending it in to either FJA or VOODOO to get it modded. i have always wanted to get an amp modded by one of those two, and figured i would go ahead and send this one in since i actually plan on keeping it. i was curious if one is better than the other or if they are both really good ??
AGILE PS970/4000 (one off custom) :: JACKSON DKMGT :: DEAN SOLTERO
MESA Dual Rec (2CH) :: (2) AVATAR 2X12 cabs w/ celestions

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Listen to both and see which ones you like better. FJA has alot of clips of his mods on YouTube, while they aren't of the best sound quality, they'll give you an idea.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
holy crap you're gonna spend a bazillion dollars to get an amp modded...
why didn't you just get the amp you wanted in the first place.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
holy crap you're gonna spend a bazillion dollars to get an amp modded...
why didn't you just get the amp you wanted in the first place.

FJA's mods cost $300...

Besides that, maybe he likes how his Recto sounds but needs it tweaked slightly?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I played a Voodoo modded JVM and it wasn't significantly better than a normal. Their main thing I notice is transformer change which I don't find as a huge deal.
yeah i like the overall tone of it, just wanting to get a bit more bite on the gain channel. just a bit more "chug" to it i guess you would say. i heard the fja modded amp and it sounds good, but couldnt find any clips of how the voodoo amps turn out. i also wanted to get the effects loop redone to where it doesnt run in parallel, and i wanted to add a bias adjustment ...

dont get me wrong, this amp is awesome now, just figured i would add a bit to the awesomeness ... plus both of the companies say they can make the cleans more useable which would help out as well ...

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
GrisKy had one of the FJA modded Rectos. He loved it from what I remember, on par with his Diezel. He hasn't been on in a while though so you probably won't get any info from him.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah it seems for the recto's that FJA is where it's at. his push/pull gain boost and a few other mods really take these amps to a whole new level ...

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
I'd send it to FJA too. Voodoo does great mods but they are pricey and honestly from what I've played and heard they aren't drastic. Jerry is a good guy too.
Fja.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Oh shit. GrisKy had a Voodoo not FJA. Little slip there. But the FJA clips sound great for what they are. I personally wouldn't mind either.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

if you're near fja it's worth it. keep in mind that you're paying shipping both ways.

if you just want a transformer swap, check out your local shops and see if they can do it. Any competent tech should be able to do most mods.
the shipping will be killer since i live in south texas, but i am allowing myself 800-900 bucks to do the modding ... the mods i am looking at are:

the standard mods -- 295
push/pull gain boost -- 75
series loop conversion -- 50
adjustable bias mod -- 100
and output transformer -- 250 (maybe .. havent decided on this yet)

which should put me around that price considering about 60 to ship one way

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
alright just make sure it's what you really want.
800-900 plus the price of a used dual recto puts you in mark v territory.
$100 for an adjustable bias mod?!?! That's insane. Take it to a local tech if you really want adjustable bias. They'll do it way cheaper. Not that it's really needed since you can order tubes to Mesa's spec from any competent vendor.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
$100 for an adjustable bias mod?!?! That's insane. Take it to a local tech if you really want adjustable bias. They'll do it way cheaper. Not that it's really needed since you can order tubes to Mesa's spec from any competent vendor.

+1

The OT thing is pretty insane too, but he's probably changing it to a MM OT, which are really expensive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by MYLILSS
i just bought a 2 channel mesa dual rectifier. it sounds good but i am thinking of sending it in to either FJA or VOODOO to get it modded. i have always wanted to get an amp modded by one of those two,

Raijouta is right, 1 mod is about $250... some cheaper, some more expensive... but what's the point of getting just one?

By the time the amp really starts to sound like it's worth the money, you've already payed $1k for like 5 mods and shipping and stuff.

EDIT: but at least you know what you want I guess.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 28, 2010,
i mean i'd rather just have a mark v if you're going for the mesa sound...
it's already got all those bells and whistles.
I'd mod an amp that has nowhere left to go but mod.....
but that's just me. if you love your recto then make her the prettiest bitch on the block.
Quote by MYLILSS
yeah i like the overall tone of it, just wanting to get a bit more bite on the gain channel. just a bit more "chug" to it i guess you would say. i heard the fja modded amp and it sounds good, but couldnt find any clips of how the voodoo amps turn out. i also wanted to get the effects loop redone to where it doesnt run in parallel, and i wanted to add a bias adjustment ...

dont get me wrong, this amp is awesome now, just figured i would add a bit to the awesomeness ... plus both of the companies say they can make the cleans more useable which would help out as well ...

your money may be better spent on an OD and and EQ then just send it to a local amp tech
Quote by AcousticMirror
i mean i'd rather just have a mark v if you're going for the mesa sound...
it's already got all those bells and whistles.
I'd mod an amp that has nowhere left to go but mod.....
but that's just me. if you love your recto then make her the prettiest bitch on the block.

But Rectos and Marks have much different tones. Getting the OT swapped will get the amp a bit clearer and less fizzy along with some more articulation; the noise will be reduced a little too.

TS I'd do it if I were you. I know a few people who have gotten the recto done by FJA and they can compete with Uberschalls and what not.

The only thing I wouldn't get is the pull push for more gain. Rectos have a fair amount of gain in them and anymore will start making it more noisy. Unless you don't have enough gain when the knob is all the way then I'd say skip that. Save some cash.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by mmolteratx

this mod may be skipped ... for that purpose you just mentioned. so i may not do this one

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Quote by stykerwolf
^changing one resistor will get you more gain, imo most "gain" mods are just scams
Dave Friedman's gain mods are awesome though!
Isn't saying "my Recto doesn't have enough gain" like saying "Jordan's tits aren't big enough"?

Sorry, I think I just felt an aneurism coming on.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i say just play with the amp a little more, try to pump a little more volume out of it, play with settings. i've always heard that rectos take a while to dial in. imo, getting into mods as soon as you get the amp is a little hasty. especially expensive mods like that.
Quote by al112987
i say just play with the amp a little more, try to pump a little more volume out of it, play with settings. i've always heard that rectos take a while to dial in. imo, getting into mods as soon as you get the amp is a little hasty. especially expensive mods like that.

they do take a while to dial in and i must say that i am one of the more impatient people in the world. as of right the plans are still to send it in to one of the two for modding, probably FJA but still not sure. as for right now at this very moment though, i am just going to get one of the JJ kt88 retube kits from eurotubes, with the GZ34 rectifiers, and high gain preamp setup. i dont need this thing to do anything clean whatsoever, i just need this thing to go ballz to the wall

the tubes are fairly old so i am using that as an excuse to order new ones !!

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
if you're going to go balls out on the amp don't get those tubes.

get a quad of sed winged c kt88s
get a nos gz34 rectifier
and grab only nos jan-phillips 12ax7s for the preamp tubes.
Do KT88s work in the Dual Rec? You probably want to check with a tech before dropping the coin.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I just looked it up and doug from eurotubes says they do.
I'm a little confused though..Lot's of people suggest going to him for help but he only sells jj's....
he's just going to suggest jj's right?
I've always found that odd too. I've never bought anything from him or asked him anything though. Doug's Tubes FTW.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by AcousticMirror
I just looked it up and doug from eurotubes says they do.
I'm a little confused though..Lot's of people suggest going to him for help but he only sells jj's....
he's just going to suggest jj's right?

That's because it's http://dougstubes.com
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AcousticMirror

get a nos gz34 rectifier

kool thanks i will check it out ...

edit: obviously i am a newbie when it comes to tubes .. just letting everyone know. i had always heard to go to eurotubes for good tubes which is why i had mentioned them in the first place.

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Last edited by MYLILSS at Jun 29, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror

get a nos gz34 rectifier

Jan 12ax7s can cost up to $50 a tube. Personally I think you can get better for less. Do you mean the 5751?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I would recommend starting with an OD pedal and EQ before bothering with modding, those two can make a world of difference. And rectos don't need extra gain IMO, if anything they've got too much to begin with.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
I would recommend starting with an OD pedal and EQ before bothering with modding, those two can make a world of difference. And rectos don't need extra gain IMO, if anything they've got too much to begin with.

the amp does have a lot of gain, but it doesnt have that bottom end "chug" when palm muting that my 5150 does. this is the main thing i am wanting i also run an mxr 10band eq with this amp as well.

i will check into an od pedal ... thanks

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Quote by kylendm
Jan 12ax7s can cost up to $50 a tube. Personally I think you can get better for less. Do you mean the 5751?

i mean the cheapest really good tubes. their a lot less then rca's or mullards.
Quote by Cathbard
Isn't saying "my Recto doesn't have enough gain" like saying "Jordan's tits aren't big enough"?

Sorry, I think I just felt an aneurism coming on.

THIS

how the hell does a recto not have enough gain???

Quote by MYLILSS
the amp does have a lot of gain, but it doesnt have that bottom end "chug" when palm muting that my 5150 does. this is the main thing i am wanting i also run an mxr 10band eq with this amp as well.

i will check into an od pedal ... thanks

and no bottom end chug?? u have a recto right???

if i was you i would have bought the amp i wanted straight away rather than have to go and get it modded.....
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
The problem is that if you go and do a ton of heavy mods it may not sound much like a recto anymore by the time they're done with it. Things like the fja mods can completely change the voice of the amp
Quote by shredftw
THIS

how the hell does a recto not have enough gain???

and no bottom end chug?? u have a recto right???

if i was you i would have bought the amp i wanted straight away rather than have to go and get it modded.....

yes i own a recto. a mesa boogie dual rectifier solo amp head to be totally exact. and yeah its got lots of gain ... i bought this amp because of the deal i got on it. anyone in my shoes would have bought this amp for the price i paid wether they like emsa or not. and yes IMO it is lacking in the bottom end of things, mainly cuz it soudns sloppy, but it is still lacking. i like the tone of the amp just want a little more out of it.

what is everyones deal with modding things anyways ?? i mean it may not be everyones cup of tea, but some people just like to modify stuff and get more out of it.

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Page 1 of 2