I've been looking at this amp. It looks like a great deal...Nice cleans, lots of gain and the reliability of peavey. I play everything but mostly hard rock and metal. My favorite bands that I play in the styles of are maiden, dream theater, metallica, alice in chains and bon jovi. I'm hoping to get some input from someone who owns the amp or has played it thanks!
Hey I bought one of these back in March and yes you are right- it has enough gain to do almost anything and the cleans are not bad by any means. I haven't played through it with anything but active pickups (I have SD Blackouts) and I think it sounds very respectable in both rhythm and lead channels. That said- I can dial in a varied number of sounds by playing with the dials and I know that sounds like a no-brainer but the eq's and the presence and resonance controls really affect the tone that you get out of it. I don't really get a chance to play it at high volume levels because I live in a small apartment but it sounds pretty decent at low volume and only gets better the more you open it up. But this is just my opinion. Of course the cleans leave a little something to be desired but with the reverb on the amp up I can get a nice clean tone that is almost sparkly. I play alot of metal and shred type things and the lead channel is the real selling point of this amp for me. It is pretty killer. Anything else? I'll try to help.
I play with emgs so the sound would be pretty similar. That's basically what I'm looking for I think/ I need to step up from the spider 3 I have. It's alright but I want a real amp. So I guess if you have any other advise that'd be cool but i don't really have other questions other than further feedback on it.
I play the same type of music as you do bro and I love it! You will too trust me. Cleans are pretty good actually. I use a chorus pedal to make it sound a little more full. The lead channel is awesome though, the presence and resonance controls are perfect and give you a lot of screaming highs and rumbling bottom end. Go to guitar center and give it a shot youll like it.
- 1997 PRS CE24 - Raspberry -
- Peavey 6505+ 1x12 Combo -
- Dunlop 535Q Wah Pedal -
- Digitech Digital Delay -
- Digitech Multi Chorus -
From what i've been told the 6505 combo sounds better than the head in a lot of cases. Why? I have no idea. I think I read it on euro tubes why a while ago, but don't remember.
None of the bands that you mentioned use this amp, I'm pretty sure a similar tone could be dialed in though.

This amp is more for all out heavy metal music, Alice In Chains and Bon Jovi arn't that heavy. Metallica, Dream Theatre and Iron Maiden arn't that type of metal.

You also need decent cleans for most of those bands.

There are probably more suitable amps in my opinion.

But hey, if you liked it, you liked it, so buy it.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by handbanana
From what i've been told the 6505 combo sounds better than the head in a lot of cases. Why? I have no idea. I think I read it on euro tubes why a while ago, but don't remember.

Just because it's a newer model/revision, so they probably would have worked out some of the flaws in the head, even if they're using cheaper components.
Edit: ^Wrong.

Quote by handbanana

Wrong.

This is in reference to the 5150/6505, not the + or II version. The head in this case is cathode biased improperly, still in the range of crossover distortion. The combo on the other hand, is done right, and so sounds a lot better.

TS, the combo is alright, what are you planning on spending on it, and what is your budget?
Last edited by denied at Jun 28, 2010,
If I could play it then I'd consider buying it used. Really I'd prolly buy a new one for the warranty and stuff. My budget is really no more than 700. What amps are better in that price range?
you can buy a 6505+ 2x12 combo (which is what i have) for 600 or less. my suggestion to you is to go try it out. amps aren't something you should buy without playing them first. give it a shot. The 6505+ is a well rounded amp, the 6505 is too much gain, clean channel was awful, i owned one (5150 which is the same thing) and it was a little too high gain for me, it would have been good for thrash like...slayer and pantera, but the 6505+ is better for the music youre trying to play. I love it for those bands that you mentioned because thats the type of music I play, and the 6505+ sounds great. Go try it in the store.
Quote by Jrod4928
you can buy a 6505+ 2x12 combo (which is what i have) for 600 or less.

No you don't. You have a 5150 2x12 Combo. I know cause I read your signature.

I have a 6505+ 112 Combo. I really like it, I'm replacing the speaker in it this week with a Celestion G12K 85 to see if it sounds much better.
Last edited by sensei888 at Jun 29, 2010,
I thought it was more geared towards modern metal? Atleast those are the bands that Peacey shows off as endorsses on their magazine adds. I play somewhat similar music to TS and I was a little resserved about the 6505+ because of this.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Just to clarify to somepeople in this thread, Peavey do not, and have not, made a '+ 'or 'II' version of the 2x12 combo.
I have the 5150 combo and I feel like it could pull off all that stuff you mentioned. Also, if you liked it than go for it, this amp is a tank and it's a pretty good price as far as similar amps go.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
Quote by VanTheKraut
I thought it was more geared towards modern metal? Atleast those are the bands that Peacey shows off as endorsses on their magazine adds. I play somewhat similar music to TS and I was a little resserved about the 6505+ because of this.

Just cuz they have massive amounts of gain, doesn't mean they need to be driven that hard. They do rock tones quite well

Honestly, for everything except dreamtheater, you'd be better off with something like a jcm900 or 2000 though
Quote by sensei888
No you don't. You have a 5150 2x12 Combo. I know cause I read your signature.

Rofl, he got u there
Current Gear:
Ibanez RG1570bk Prestige with Evo Pickups
Fender American Standard 2012 Telecaster
Fender Mustang
I know it was once endorsed by Van Halen but how well does it handle Van Halen like tones?
Quote by denied
It was created/designed in conjunction with him actually. He owns the 5150 name.

yeah but you never hear the amp used for stuff like that. I mainly hear it for heavy metal and stuff. I just want to know how it handles Van Halen type sound.
for the record, i do have a 6505+, my sig wasn't updated. Sorry to those of you who I confused because I don't instantly update my sig instantly when I get new gear, because I'm too busy jamming. Thanks. Go do something productive.
I wouldn't say the amp has nice cleans although it's a damn good amp nevertheless.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal