You cannot say that. Musicians are artists. Now I'm not saying that every rapper you see on the street is an artist, but musicians like Pink Floyd created true art with their albums.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
"Artists" are people who make music, dance, and perform. A musician is someone who makes music. The two terms are not mutually exclusive.
Check out my band Disturbed
Musicians are artists of the audio variety. That is it.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Ok yeah, i didnt explain enough. Where im coming from with this is that and this is my opinion, Musicians (bands that have guitar, bass, drums, sometimes keyboards) a lot of them i find dont really get famous or "big" that quickly, they take a long time before Labels finally get to sign them, as where Artists (not even really a band but more of just a singer) happen to make their way to stardom fairly fast.
Quote by guitarsftw
Musicians are artists of the audio variety. That is it.

Not necessarily. Studio musicians may not be artists. Classical studio musicians make great money. They make more than most artists excluding the megastar kind of musicians.

EDIT:
Quote by AmottPetrucci61
Ok yeah, i didnt explain enough. Where im coming from with this is that and this is my opinion, Musicians (bands that have guitar, bass, drums, sometimes keyboards) a lot of them i find dont really get famous or "big" that quickly, they take a long time before Labels finally get to sign them, as where Artists (not even really a band but more of just a singer) happen to make their way to stardom fairly fast.

So what you're saying is rock bands aren't as popular as pop vocalists.
Last edited by TheChaz at Jun 27, 2010,
This guy makes more money that 95% of visual artists doing pretty much what's going on in the picture.
Quote by AmottPetrucci61

So, singers aren't musicians?
Quote by AA00P
Quote by AmottPetrucci61

i don't think so...

"Artists" are people who make music, dance, and perform. A musician is someone who makes music. The two terms are not mutually exclusive.

i think i'd switch the two.
Quote by guitarsftw
So, singers aren't musicians?

A musician is someone who makes music, A Capella vocal music counts as music so yeah.
Quote by TheChaz
Not necessarily. Studio musicians may not be artists. Classical studio musicians make great money. They make more than most artists excluding the megastar kind of musicians.

An artist is a person engaged in one or more of any of a broad spectrum of activities related to creating art, practicing the arts and/or demonstrating an art.

Anyone actively writing/making/recording/performing/etc. music is an artist, seeing as music is an art.
Quote by AA00P
erm, what is an artist? I think it's an umbrella under which musicians fall.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
erm, what is an artist? I think it's an umbrella under which musicians fall.

EXACTLY. ALL musicians are a TYPE of artist.
Quote by AA00P
violinists that play in orchestras are considered musicians, so the whole "musicians write music" thing isnt true. however writing music does make you an artist. a painter is an artist, so are musicians. music is just a form of art, and if u write music then you're an artist.
Yeah, pretty much what truiteleague said i guess. Im new to learning about the music industry so sorry if its a noob question.
Quote by truiteleague
I think what TS want to say is that solo artist make more money than band!!

Bars would rather pay a singer/guitarist $120 than a 4 piece band $300 for a night.
This thread is awful, people can't be artists and musicians??????????????? lol.

*reported for being a horrible thread*
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Last edited by Msword7 at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by SimplyStrings
You cannot say that. Musicians are artists. Now I'm not saying that every rapper you see on the street is an artist, but musicians like Pink Floyd created true art with their albums.

Get of your high horse

Probably earns a bit more than....

did in his entire lifetime.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by sg255

Probably earns a bit more than....

did in his entire lifetime.

I'm sure he earned more in his death though
Quote by darkcheef
I'm sure he earned more in his death though

That's a fair point, but his dead money ain't got nutthin on this guys...
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
Quote by darkcheef
Get of your high horse

YONIGGANIGGANIGGAHOESNBITCHEZ

YONIGGANIGGANIGGASHOTSFLYINERRBODEEZDYIN

Definitely art.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Quote by SimplyStrings

Definitely art.

Nobody has the authority to say it isn't. Anything intended as art is art.
Quote by AA00P
Quote by SimplyStrings

Definitely art.

Like all rap says that, lrn2notstereotype. People can easily say all that Pink Floyd is random druggie music.

Find where this song says yo nigga nigga hoes n bitches

http://www.hulu.com/watch/157178/late-night-with-jimmy-fallon-the-roots-dear-god
Last edited by darkcheef at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by guitarsftw
Nobody has the authority to say it isn't. Anything intended as art is art.

Anything?
Quote by guitarist41
Anything?

Yup. It's pretty awesome when you think about it. Anything intended to produce an emotional response in its observer counts as art.

YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
Are singers who don't write their own music really artists? I'd consider composition, songwriting, in some cases production and so on to be the artistic bits of music.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by sg255
Yup. It's pretty awesome when you think about it. Anything intended to produce an emotional response in its observer counts as art.

So if I say my mother's cooking is shit to make her feel bad, that's art?
Quote by guitarist41

Possibly. It's a very subjective sorta thing. Some would say it requires you to rearrange something else to convey your sentiment rather than just outright saying it.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
Quote by guitarist41
Oh for god's sake, I thought this was well known enough to be a cliche by now. Anything presented as art is art. Art is loosely defined at best. It might not be very good art, but if you intended it as art it could count as such.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
John Cage wrote 4'33 and called it music, it's that's considered music then you can legitimately take a blank canvas and call it art.
Music is an art

Musicians are artists

EDIT: To two posts above, your right. Anything can be art if you have pure intentions of it being art. Calling your moms cooking shit and calling it art is not art because it has no artistic value and was never meant to be art

DOUBLE EDIT: Anyone who assumes rap is not art is stupid. Its just art that you cant understand because your too close minded to enjoy anything other than metal, or "classic" rock. Or Nirvana sometimes
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by SimplyStrings

Definitely art.

This post is fucking retarded.

/pointing out the obvious
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid