Hopfully someone has some info on this. Certain chords aren't ringing in tune. For instance an A chord will be out of tune. Then i'll tune my guitar to an A chord and the E goes out of tune. I had my guitar fully setup by a tech a few weeks ago thinking it's an intonation problem and it really hasn't fixed it, but it has improved.

So is it just the temperament of the instrument? I'm hoping it's something easy like old strings, even though they're only a few weeks old. Maybe it's because 90% of my playing is done on dry guitar? No amp, no effects no nothing. And if it is the temperament how do you get around it without spending a fortune on True temperament? Currently i'm working on playing Die to Live by Vai, and somethings just aren't clicking with the track.

Any ideas?
Ibanez S540BMAV
Vox VT15
Morley Power Wah

Saving for x100b
It's a natural "imperfection" with the instrument known as the guitar that the good people over at True Temperament claim to have fixed.

And I say that with partial eye rolling.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
are you talking open chords or barre chords?
also: most likely an intonation problem(which you can fix yourself easily enough)
Elephants. larger than the moon.

98% of teenagers in America are currently bringing sexy back. Put this in your signature if you are one of the 2% where sexy never left.
Yes open chords. I figured it was the temperament, but why is it that most the time I hear chord progressions that are in tune together or sound to be? Are they tuned to the key of the piece? or just lucky to have a small temperment problem? I just want to get it to subside for the songs i'm working on, not fix the entire necks temperament. There aren't any tricks to it? lol
Ibanez S540BMAV
Vox VT15
Morley Power Wah

Saving for x100b
uh, you are playing guitar, right? tune to EADGBe, and if any open chords you are bangin' out don't sound perfect, take it back to whoever set it up and give them a piece of your mind
Elephants. larger than the moon.

98% of teenagers in America are currently bringing sexy back. Put this in your signature if you are one of the 2% where sexy never left.
Wait your in open tuning? Like you tune each string so it all makes a chord when you play it open? Dude seriously use your brain. If you tune your guitar to an open chord (which I have no idea why would do that unless your playing slide which I'm assuming your not) then of course some strings wont be in the right tune. Your guitar isn't in standard tuning so the strings wont be at the pitch you obviously expect them to be at. I'm not sure if you haven't noticed, but usually when you want to play something on a guitar you use that part of your body called a left hand.
Last edited by guitarocker100 at Jun 27, 2010,
Might have to do that then, when I sat down and played with it the night after, there were frets buzzing on the first fret, which was easy to lift the bridge up a little bit, maybe that shows his lack of quality. Thanks for the suggestions
Ibanez S540BMAV
Vox VT15
Morley Power Wah

Saving for x100b
Quote by guitarocker100
Wait your in open tuning? Like you tune each string so it all makes a chord when you play it open? Dude seriously use your brain. If you tune your guitar to an open chord (which I have no idea why would do that unless your playing slide which I'm assuming your not) then of course some strings wont be in the right tune. Your guitar isn't in standard tuning so the strings wont be at the pitch you obviously expect them to be at. I'm not sure if you haven't noticed, but usually when you want to play something on a guitar you use that part of your body called a left hand.

(And if this isn't what you meant then sorry for the sarcasm and forget everything I just said)

Lol, no i'm not tuning my open strings to a chord no. Meaning i'll play an A chord and tune the strings accordingly.
Ibanez S540BMAV
Vox VT15
Morley Power Wah

Saving for x100b
Quote by guitarsftw
It's a natural "imperfection" with the instrument known as the guitar that the good people over at True Temperament claim to have fixed.

And I say that with partial eye rolling.

Well bearing in mind that Vai originally recorded the track in question on a standard guitar and TS is trying to play to the track I don't think it's a temperament issue at all.

TS: Are you always trying to tune to chords or do you have a good tuner that you can use to tune the open strings themselves?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well bearing in mind that Vai originally recorded the track in question on a standard guitar and TS is trying to play to the track I don't think it's a temperament issue at all.

TS: Are you always trying to tune to chords or do you have a good tuner that you can use to tune the open strings themselves?

I usually use a tuner but have tried variations of tuning. Open tuning, open harmonics, by ear with an online tuner and it will last for certain chords, but I mainly notice it in open chords.
Ibanez S540BMAV
Vox VT15
Morley Power Wah

Saving for x100b
Quote by Anni.
Lol, no i'm not tuning my open strings to a chord no. Meaning i'll play an A chord and tune the strings accordingly.

Ooooohhhh. Haha sorry about that, forget everything I said then.

Now to answer your question. Try using a tuner or something to tune your guitar (perfectly) before you play the chords. Then you will be sure it will sound good as long as you tuned it perfectly (make sure the strings aren't more than 20 cents off or it all wont sound right).
Right, that's a given though. Most the time i'll spend 15 minutes just getting it tuned. But I just could be overlooking or not listening closely enough. If that's not the problem i'll just have to take it back to the tech. Known the dude a while, never had him set a guitar up for me though, So ehh.
Ibanez S540BMAV
Vox VT15
Morley Power Wah

Saving for x100b
Quote by Anni.
Right, that's a given though. Most the time i'll spend 15 minutes just getting it tuned. But I just could be overlooking or not listening closely enough. If that's not the problem i'll just have to take it back to the tech. Known the dude a while, never had him set a guitar up for me though, So ehh.

Any time you try and tune BY EAR you are introducing the inaccuracies of being human into the equation: get a proper, good, electronic tuner like a Boss TU-2, Korg DT-10, Digitech HT-2, Korg Pitchblack or Planet Waves chromatic tuner and use that.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Any time you try and tune BY EAR you are introducing the inaccuracies of being human into the equation: get a proper, good, electronic tuner like a Boss TU-2, Korg DT-10, Digitech HT-2, Korg Pitchblack or Planet Waves chromatic tuner and use that.

Understandable, but I do use a tuner, after i get irritated I switch to ear. Do cheap tuners make a big difference? I'm thinking yes, but wouldn't think too big of one, could be wrong though.
Ibanez S540BMAV
Vox VT15
Morley Power Wah

Saving for x100b
Quote by Anni.
Understandable, but I do use a tuner, after i get irritated I switch to ear. Do cheap tuners make a big difference? I'm thinking yes, but wouldn't think too big of one, could be wrong though.

It does make a very small difference but when you're playing chords it only needs to be a tiny difference before it becomes hugely noticable. If a string on one of my guitars is out by less than 10% (10 cents or less) I can very VERY easily hear it when playing the intro to My Curse by Killswitch Engage or similar.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Most guitars play sharp notes on the first couple frets unless the nut is cut so low that the strings ring on the frets. Live with it.
I'm not sure how long you have been playing so you may have already got past this stage, but a lot of new players fret way too hard. As such the string bends a little over the fret and the notes will sound a little sharp. This is particularly prominent in open chords so this could be your problem. Try easing off on the frets a little (you will also find that this helps you playing).

Apologies if I am preaching to the converted here, if you are sure that this is not your problem, then I can only think of three reasons it would be out of tune;

- As another poster said, the tech who set up your guitar ballzed it up
- The nut is too high and the upper frets are a little out of tune (I don't agree with the above poster. If the nut is cut correctly and the neck is of the correct profile you should have no discernible problems.
- Your guitar could be a cheap POS which is fretted badly (I don't know what guitar you own so apolagies if you spent a bit on something nice, besides, this is very unlikely).
it's simple. no need to worry to hard.
when was the last time you got your guitar set up?
when was the last time you changed strings?

your guitars intonation is off. This could be due to the neck bending, which all necks will do over time, screws slipping on the saddles. the bridge compressing into the body. frets wearing down. any number of things.

get it set up.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer