Hi, I'm just starting to learn to play bass. Im thinking to buy one for about $200 budget.

either Cort Curbow 4
Yamaha RBX170
Ibanez EDB500

if anyone knows the pros and cons between these 3 guitars, please let me know. Don't suggest me any other brands because these are the only ones I want (only because of the small body).
Thank you
Last edited by dhenia182 at Jun 27, 2010,
If you plan on playing sitting down at all at home, the Curbow is a real pain. I tried one at a music store a few weeks ago, most awkward instrument to play sitting down. But generally, Ibanez is decent quality for beginners.
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Between those, I'd say the Cort. I have a Yamaha rbx375 (More expensive version) and am now considering buying the Cort as my second bass.
Quote by dhenia182
Don't suggest me any other brands because these are the only ones I want (only because of the small body).

The Curbow is the only one of those with a particularly small body, the Ibanez and the Yamaha are around average sized basses.

Both the Curbow and the EDB are higher end basses then the Yamaha, but you gotta be agreeable with the materials. Some people just don't like the luthite used for the bodies of the EDB (at least the old ones), and the Curbow, or the ebonal used for the fretboard on the Curbow. They're all rather different feeling basses, so you really need to try them out for yourself if possible.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I've got the Ibanez EDB500, and it's the best bass I've played in it's price range, I've got nothing really bad to say about it, apart from it's a weighty beast, as its body is made of luthite. Seriously, the pickups are great, the neck is awesome and slim, the body is ergonomic and comfortable, and it holds tune really well, plus it's got a cool volume boost on it. Theres also little minor things that I like about this bass such as the edges of the pickups are really comfortable for resting your thumb when you play fingerstyle and the little cutout for making popping when you get your fingers under the strings alot easier.

I've played the Yamaha RBX175's because we have those and the RBX375's at our school, and they're pretty mediocre... the 375 is pretty good though. I have not played the Cort Curbow but I would still buy the Ibanez without a doubt. Last thing is, how much money are you paying for these basses?
someone offered me a used Ibanez EDB605 for $225 and New Cort Curbow 5 for $275

my budget is $280

I still havent chose which one, im not in a rush to buy it. so I'm still open with different opinions between ibanez EDB and Cort Curbow. I'm not gonna buy Yamaha now
Quote by dhenia182
someone offered me a used Ibanez EDB605 for $225 and New Cort Curbow 5 for $275

my budget is $280

I still havent chose which one, im not in a rush to buy it. so I'm still open with different opinions between ibanez EDB and Cort Curbow. I'm not gonna buy Yamaha now

In that case, you should definitely go with the Ibanez, that's a very good price for one
Quote by DavidMW
In that case, you should definitely go with the Ibanez, that's a very good price for one

thanks mate, i will buy it on saturday
I got my curbow 5 for 200USD used. Haggle, bring that jewish blood out (nothing against Jews. In fact, I'm apparently part Jew, so my mother says).
i just checked the used ibanez edb605. I was trying it out myself , the sound was the same as edb500 cept it has 5 strings, however there were too many flaws on the body so I cancelled on buying it.

Instead I just bought Curbow 4 black color made in Indonesia. I've only played it for an hour now. the sustain isnt as long as ibanez edb500, but the finishing looks much better! i love it so far.. though i dont know if this bass will last long. hehe

thank u for ur opinions guys.