I'm building a 7-string, and I was wondering: What would be the best scale length to use? does that extra three quarters of an inch make that much difference?
I think it does. I used a 25.5 scale on the 7 string I built, but some prefer the 26.5 or 27" scale. If you tune it down any, I'd go with a 26.5. If you only use standard tuning, then i think a 25.5 would be fine.
25.5" will be fine, but I wouldnt go any shorter. Longer is usually better, 27" is good, some Schecters are 26.5", 25.5" is used on Ibanez and MusicMans too.
I personally prefer 27" as it helps to tighten the low B.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
So it would be a complete mistake to use a 24.75"? Why?

This will be in standard, drop D, or drop A. no lower, though
the ibanez art series used a 24.75" scale on a 7 string semi hollowbody... the bottom end is flabby and undefined because of the lack of string tension
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Well I hate to be this guy, but technically, wouldn't a longer scale for the lower strings, and a shorter one for the high strings be best? Like one of those fanned fret boards? Just an idea.
^ I wouldnt really say it was worth it for a 7 string, you can get away with 27" for both the high and low strings.

But yeah +1 to Phil, short scale lengths = muddy strings, which makes the 7 string sound like crap through an amp.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by The Hunger
So it would be a complete mistake to use a 24.75"? Why?

This will be in standard, drop D, or drop A. no lower, though

Terrible idea. My dean which is 24.75" (or 629mm) will not go any lower than C. The bridge just can't cope with the intonation. Obviously if you're building your own guitar then this is not as much of an issue but it's also the fact that the strings just feel really slack and you start to get tuning issues because of that.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Does said Dean have seven strings, or just 6? And has anyone played the Gibson 7-string explorer yet?
The only time I'd use 24.75 length is when playing in standard. Anything lower would just be bad for me.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by The Hunger
Does said Dean have seven strings, or just 6? And has anyone played the Gibson 7-string explorer yet?

EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."