Quote by hippieboy444
So he's playing 6/8 over 4/4? I don't quite follow.
No, it's just a composite time signature.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Oh, I guess i need to learn what that is.
Thanks!
Last edited by hippieboy444 at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by hippieboy444
Oh, I guess i need to learn what that is.
Well, it's pretty simple. It's just a time signature that adds multiple time signatures together.

Basically as tubatom was saying, there is one measure of 6/8, then three measures of 4/4.

Looks like I got the terminology wrong, it's actually "compound meter," not "composite meter."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_meter_%28music%29

Actually, after reading through that, I realize I'm wrong again. What tubatom is talking about is "additive meter."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_meter

I really need to brush up on my time signature terminology.
-Chick Corea
I don't get it though. To me, it's just 10 'notes' in 3 beats. How does one arrive at the conclusion that its additive meter?
Quote by hippieboy444
I don't get it though. To me, it's just 10 'notes' in 3 beats. How does one arrive at the conclusion that its additive meter?
I'm not exactly sure, I'm not very good at determining time signatures which are any more complex than 5/8 or 7/8.

If you say it sounds like 10 notes in three beats, that's definitely not a polyrhythm, it's just an irregular division of the beats.

I actually don't know what section of the song you're talking about though, so I'm not too sure what you're asking. Is it the drum fill or the riff?
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by hippieboy444
The fill. It's over two bars of 4/4, if it's linear with the riff.
Yeah it's definitely two bars of 4/4. I don't know what tubatom was talking about.

Edit: I do see what he was talking about. Although I think it's just 7/4, 4/4, 4/4 repeating. I don't hear 6/8. I guess you could consider "7/4" as a composite of 3/4 and 4/4.
-Chick Corea
Listening to that part of the song (and I've heard this song before actually, I have the album) I would say that the time signature alternates between 4/4 and 3/4. When the guitar plays, there is one bar of 4/4 followed by one bar of 3/4. Then there are two bars of drums in 4/4, then the patterns repeats several times each verse. At the particular spot you mentioned (4:30), I personally don't hear a complex polyrhythm there in the drum part, just regular sixteenth notes. I'm not exactly sure, because it does sound like the drums speed up slightly, or play slightly ahead of the beat for those two bars, or at least part of those two bars. I personally don't think there are any complex polyrhythms happening.

Also, just letting you know, I'm mainly a drummer (I've only played guitar for about a year) and I've heard this song before as well. I don't know everything about polyrhythms and time signatures but this is just what I'm hearing in the song...
Yamaha FG295S
LR Baggs A1 pickup
Quote by stasz
Listening to that part of the song (and I've heard this song before actually, I have the album) I would say that the time signature alternates between 4/4 and 3/4. When the guitar plays, there is one bar of 4/4 followed by one bar of 3/4. Then there are two bars of drums in 4/4, then the patterns repeats several times each verse. At the particular spot you mentioned (4:30), I personally don't hear a complex polyrhythm there in the drum part, just regular sixteenth notes. I'm not exactly sure, because it does sound like the drums speed up slightly, or play slightly ahead of the beat for those two bars, or at least part of those two bars. I personally don't think there are any complex polyrhythms happening.

Also, just letting you know, I'm mainly a drummer (I've only played guitar for about a year) and I've heard this song before as well. I don't know everything about polyrhythms and time signatures but this is just what I'm hearing in the song...
Yeah you're definitely right.

No polyrhythms but he does do some weird syncopation/off-beat kind of stuff.

The meter is in fact a compound of 4/4, 3/4, 4/4, 4/4, or 4+3+4+4/4.
-Chick Corea
I think you're right that it is slightly ahead.

but a 10:3 beat poly rhythm can exist, right?
Excuse me, I thought you were talking about the beginning of the song, not a part later.

The fill is two bars of 4/4 with no polyrhythms. Theres heavy syncopation and a few triplets, but no polyrhythm. But the meter I posted is still correct

And yes, a 10:3 polyrhythm can exist. Any polyrhythm can exist. Any polyrythm with one of the numbers above 15 is extremely rare though