I'm a heavy economy picker, and have done it since I started playing 5 years ago. Recently, I feel like its holding me back. Whenever I attempt to alternate pick anything, it always ends up being economy picked. Any help please?
Play a simple 3 note-per-string scale pattern at very slow speeds. If you mess up, start over. If you mess up, start over. If you mess up, start over.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Unknown_Biskit
....and if you mess up, start over.

I still don't understand....

But yes, I seriously should have just done this in the beginning.
Quote by jacksonDKMG
is this a bad thing? i was under the impression that economy picking was better.

It's preference, really. They have their advantages and disadvantages. If you economy pick and you're comfortable with it, that's alright. If you feel like you might do better with alternate picking, give it a shot. I personally alternate pick because I find it much more consistent and applicable.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
a couple exercises to get out of economy picking:
something like:
5 5
578 578
etc. on the e and a string or w/e you want.

also:
try playing riffs like master of puppets or painkiller. riffs that work for this would be something where the whole thing alternates.
eg. start the pattern on a downstroke, and the second time it starts on an up.
eg:

7 8
you might find it easier to downpick all that, but try it alternate.

those are somethings my guitar teacher told me to do a couple years ago, when i was in the same boat as you.
k the 'tabs' messed up..
Last edited by imbaguitar at Jun 27, 2010,
One very helpful thing to do to break the habit is actually saying up-down-up-down as you play. As that begins to hold you back, move to just thinking it as you go, and eventually you shouldn't even have to think about it any more and then wah-lah!
Quote by tenfold
Try "technical difficulties" alternate picked.

Paul Gilbert's actually the reason I want to try alternate picking