So, I've heard tales and advice about the order in which you place your pedals in line on your pedal board. How much of a difference does it REALLY make? Educate me, I'm here to learn, and I'm sure a lot of other people glancing past this thread will want to find out as well.

Also, if so, what would be the best way to run my board? Right now I have it like this.

Guitar > Dunlop Crybaby Wah > Boss TU2 Tuner > Boss CE-5 Chorus > Boss DD3 Delay > Big Muff Fuzz> Amp. I run an MXR Micro Amp through my FX loop for boost.

The way my pedal board is, I require it to go into my Wah first. I can change it, but with some decisive effort. Basically only if it'll make a significant difference.

Learn me something, UG!
You should definatly have the tuner first, before anything else, if you put it after something then you're getting a less pure signal, which could result in the tuner, tuning you, out of tune .

The wah goes second.

Any boost, distortion, OD, or fuzz goes next.

Modulation effects like delay and chorus are 'supposed' to go in the effects loop, as you have one of those, I would reccomend using it. If not, after the distortion, etc.

Although, all the above is just the way that most people do it, you can infact do it anyway you like, some orders of pedals will sound awful, but who knows, you might light certain unconventional orders.

The only thing that I would stress is that the tuner goes first!
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove

Any boost, distortion, OD, or fuzz goes next

But in his case, if he runs a boost before the fuzz, and uses the fuzz for his sound, then the boost will only add gain, not volume. If you run the boost after the fuzz/distortion then it will act as a volume boost.
Quote by bogg808
But in his case, if he runs a boost before the fuzz, and uses the fuzz for his sound, then the boost will only add gain, not volume. If you run the boost after the fuzz/distortion then it will act as a volume boost.

Yes
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
main problems i see are your chorus and delay are before your distortion and fuzz, and its generally the other way around.

however that is a typical setup. there are no rules. sometimes things sound weird or bad in the wrong order, which is why there are typical setups due to common agreement of what sounds good.

however some people put distortion first and then wah (hendrix started it). some people put different stuff in the FX loop.

the best way is to try it. for example, try putting your wah in your FX loop. its still a wah, but it is different. play a song with a wah + distortion, and then do it again with the pedals in reverse order. diferent.

if you play the man in the box solo with distortion - wah instead of wah - distortion....VERY BIG difference.

but for example, delays are generally last becuase you want to take your sound and add the delay effect. otherwise, your are adding distortion to a delayed signal. you are distorting your delay instead of delaying your distortion.
Hey all, thanks for the great advice. I just reworked my stuff to run as such:

Guitar > Tuner > Wah > Fuzz > Chorus > Delay > Amp.

I use mostly my amp distortion, though, so does that make a difference?
Quote by denied
The way you have it now is fine.

But I would honestly put the chorus and delay in the loop. Especially with the delay, it will make quite a difference.

This.