I know I'm just asking to get flamed by posting this, and NO I'm not trolling.

Page 1 of 2
Me and a few of my friends are going to a rennaisance fair in a couple of months. We have decided to go "in costume". What I mean by "in costume", is wearing a funky hat, or a really stupid pair of pointy shoes. Not the tunics, and tight pants, and the whole get-up. No, that would really be queer. What I mean by "QUEER" is crazy, not gay or whatever. I'd rather not get into the whole "gay or strait" issue.

But I digress...

After playing Mount and Blade yesterday, great game for the PC by the way, I have decided to wear a surcoat. What is it? A surcoat was sort of an overcoat usually worn by knights. They would wear it over their armor to protect it from the elements. You know, rain, mud, dust, dirt, grime, and the blood of the knights' fallen enemies. They were usually made from leather or some other thick and durable fabric.

I looked around and if you buy one already made, they're a few hundred dollars. Even the most basic ones. So I've decided to make my own...on a budget.

I want it to be something that I can wear whenever, not just pull from the back of the closet once a year for rennaisance fair.

I was thinking about just buying an all-black leather trenchcoat, and making it look modern, but with a few medieval-looking highlights (medieval studs, buckles, etc.), and slap a made-up "heraldric crest" on the back. Basically a biker's trenchcoat given a slightly medieval treatment to it.

Do y'all think that would be too stupid?
or could I get away with wearing it in public and people just think, 'oh, okay its just a really weird trenchcoat'.

And stop caring what people will think of you.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by neptune1988
I was thinking about just buying an all-black leather trenchcoat, and making it look modern, but with a few medieval-looking highlights (medieval studs, buckles, etc.), and slap a made-up "heraldric crest" on the back. Basically a biker's trenchcoat given a slightly medieval treatment to it.

I think you'd risk looking like a black-metalhead poser.
MATTERHORN
If you're going to be wearing it more often than just at Renaissance fairs, why not just save up and drop the dough for a professionally-made one?
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by neptune1988

After playing Mount and Blade yesterday...

F*** YES!

Quote by neptune1988

Do y'all think that would be too stupid?

Quite...
Quote by BeastlyBassist
If you're going to be wearing it more often than just at Renaissance fairs, why not just save up and drop the dough for a professionally-made one?

The already made ones would really only work for rennaisance fairs, and they dont do custom orders. Otherwise I might.
Quote by CraZyB0y
F*** YES!

That game is the best, aint it?

If you ever get bored with it, just download another module and keep playing for months on end. LOL
don't worry about looking stupid. I work at a renaissance festival..and while i admit I would never wear my faire clothes outside of the confines of faire grounds there are plenty of people there who look a lot worse.

At the one I work at there are actually a lot cool people and musicians. As well as a lot of people in the military (I have no clue why) The highest ranking military person there is a Lieutenant colonel..go figure...

The dumbest thing I have seen at faire is this guy who comes every year...he comes as a storm trooper from star wars wearing a kilt.

Also..don't knock the tights...while they suck cause they pull hair out of legs mens tights have a lot of space in the crotch and are surprisingly warm.
I say do whatever you want. Think about it like this:

When KISS came out with their faces painted, many people thought they looked stupid. Now, they have a huge following and many other bands try to imitate their look.

When the first glam metal bands came out, many people thought they were just gay men. Soon many other bands started dressing similarly.

Who knows what'll to you?
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Who cares man, just have fun with it! theres gonna be people who will think it looks stupid, and theres gonna be people who admire you for creating your own costume. Just do it and have a good time.
Quote by Zayrank
don't worry about looking stupid. I work at a renaissance festival..and while i admit I would never wear my faire clothes outside of the confines of faire grounds there are plenty of people there who look a lot worse.

At the one I work at there are actually a lot cool people and musicians. As well as a lot of people in the military (I have no clue why) The highest ranking military person there is a Lieutenant colonel..go figure...

The dumbest thing I have seen at faire is this guy who comes every year...he comes as a storm trooper from star wars wearing a kilt.

Also..don't knock the tights...while they suck cause they pull hair out of legs mens tights have a lot of space in the crotch and are surprisingly warm.

really? I never knew that about tights.
Quote by neptune1988
really? I never knew that about tights.

Honestly I didnt either... I was like...tights...**** that I liek my balls but then I put them on and was like...eh I can live....
Quote by Nelsean

icwutudidthar.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by neptune1988
I'd rather not risk making an a$$ of myself, so...
What would y'all change about my design?

lololololololololol
so the general consensus is that its really 50/50. Nobody's decided more one way or the other, then?

Also, whats this about black metal musician? 'Cause there've been a few instances over the few years where a few guys ended up in the ER they were so badly beaten up. Mostly dumb high school kids, but there a few college kids too.

Would anything like that happen if I wore this surcoat thingy? (I apologize if I sound paranoid, but I am).
Quote by wizards?
That would look horribly stupid.

/thread

Aaaaaand wizards? delivers.

Worst. Idea. Ever.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
I think you should save up for a professional one.
Cause then if you decide later on down the road that you would rather not have it you have the money you saved, and also if you plan to wear it regularly then you would eventually get enough use out of it that it would offset the cost.
Basically what I'm saying is if you spend for example $500 on the coat and you wear it for 500 days then basically you pay a dollar a day to wear it, and everything after that is free.
Also it will probably last longer then a trench coat too.
Hope I helped TS.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Try it and if it looks dumb don't wear it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
we dressed up sometimes. the one time a lot of us dressed up like pirates (not me because I can't pull it off). we were all drunk and had a great time roleplaying with the actors and stuff. "WELL WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE OUT OF RUM?!?!"
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by neptune1988
I'd rather not risk making an a$$ of myself, so...
What would y'all change about my design?

I would erase all of it, and replace it with absolutely nothing. Jesus dude, do you even hear what you're saying? you want to wear something in public that was made for KNIGHTS hundreds of years ago. If I saw you in public wearing that shit there's no possible way I could restrain myself from giving you a wedgie or other similarly cliched high school bully beat-down.

Quote by neptune1988
LOL at the video.

No, our rennaisance fairs are more about historical accuracy, rather than nerd-i-ness.

GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY FA-

no... I can get through this without being an asshole.

Dude, everything about everything that you've discussed so far is so incredibly nerdy that every vagina within 6 miles of your presence will instantly snap shut and lock itself off from you, should you go through with this. All I'm saying is, don't ever expect to get pussy, ever, if you do it.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 28, 2010,
1: dumb idea
2: trenchcoats are weird to see people wearing in the first place
3: ???
4: PROFIT!!!
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I would erase all of it, and replace it with absolutely nothing. Jesus dude, do you even hear what you're saying? you want to wear something in public that was made for KNIGHTS hundreds of years ago. If I saw you in public wearing that shit there's no possible way I could restrain myself from giving you a wedgie or other similarly cliched high school bully beat-down.

GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY FA-

no... I can get through this without being an asshole.

Dude, everything about everything that you've discussed so far is so incredibly nerdy that every vagina within 6 miles of your presence will instantly snap shut and lock itself off from you, should you go through with this. All I'm saying is, don't ever expect to get pussy, ever, if you do it.

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
You're going to a renaissance fair, being queer is the last of your problems.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Quote by Nelsean

This.
But take pics so we can all giggle at you though.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I was wondering... WHY THE HELL AREN'T YOU GOING IN FULL BLOWN COSTUME? You have an excuse to wear full medieval regalia and you aren't m going to do it? crazy...
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by pitobodies
I was wondering... WHY THE HELL AREN'T YOU GOING IN FULL BLOWN COSTUME? You have an excuse to wear full medieval regalia and you aren't m going to do it? crazy...

I could probably invent an excuse to go to work naked tomorrow. I think I'll pass.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Sounds like unnecessary work for something that (no offense) wouldn't be all that cool.

At least in my opinion... costumes are only cool if they are really, really good. Otherwise they have to be so bad they are funny. There is a dangerous middleground in there where costumes are just kind of... lame...

I don't think the idea is stupid at all though, if you can make it look good, go for it.
Last edited by rmr024 at Jun 28, 2010,
I know I should let this thread go on its own and die, but for the final word...

my friends and I have decided "**** it, go with the whole tunic, tights, and funky hats."
We've decided to grow a pair and be all-out nerds. We wont get any, but I myself am 5'5 and weight 255 pounds. I've accepted the way of the world. Its no secret I aint got a hope in hell.

Anyway, I'm going to make a studded-leather coat similar to this:

http://www.elessarsrealm.com/fallenknights/coppermine/albums/promotional/stills/normal_Dagonet_promo.jpg
Page 1 of 2