When I hit the E string open and then bend the G string and it makes the E go up in pitch. This happens on every string and doesn't matter if its open or not. So what's wrong with my guitar? I have a Epiphone-Gibson, I can't seem to find any pictures of it online and can't find my camera so, sorry I can't provide pics.
What kind of bridge do you have?
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
presumably a TOM?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
If you have a fixed bridge, then it could be that the bridge is moving with the strings. In the case of a Gibson, they usually have Tune-O-Matic bridges which can move a bit with the string bends. But usually, pulling on the string and the bridge will RELEASE tension from the string rather than add it, like when you bend a string on a guitar with a Floyd Rose.

But I strongly advise that you look up the kind of guitar and bridge (don't be stupid, Google is your friend for a reason!) you have, then come back with some details so we can better help you.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by travislausch

But I strongly advise that you look up the kind of guitar and bridge (don't be stupid, Google is your friend for a reason!) you have, then come back with some details so we can better help you.

Trust me I spent some time looking for pictures of this on google, I can not find a Epiphone-Gibson guitar anywhere.
Quote by Joshua1207
Trust me I spent some time looking for pictures of this on google, I can not find a Epiphone-Gibson guitar anywhere.
Either you're trolling HARD or you're clueless. An Epiphone-Gibson is...not a guitar. It's two different guitar companies' names with a "-" stuck in between them.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by Joshua1207

HUH ?!?!
WHAT!!! im confused...

on a more serious note see if your bridge is loose, its the thingy that your stings are connected to on the body of the guitar.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
what guitar is an "epiphone-gibson". is it a les paul style? is it a explorer style? SG? all deepends on your bridge dude. take it to a tech and get it checked lol
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Ayses
Either you're trolling HARD or you're clueless. An Epiphone-Gibson is...not a guitar. It's two different guitar companies' names with a "-" stuck in between them.

I am not trolling at all. It says Epiphone sideways at the top, then Gibson going down below it. So I'm not sure what to tell you?

It is also SG style.
Quote by Joshua1207
One of those ones you can bend up or down if you want with no whammy bar.

If it's any kind of bridge that you can move at will, all the strings will go out of tune if you bend any note.

For example- if you strum an open low e and bend another string with your finger, you can achieve a kind of quick whammy bar effect without having to move your hand.

My guess is that this normal. How long have you had the guitar?
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Last edited by RR3tran at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by RR3tran
If it's any kind of bridge that you can move at will, all the strings will go out of tune if you bend any note.

For example- if you strum an open low e and bend another string with your finger, you can achieve a kind of quick whammy bar effect without having to move your hand.

My guess is that this normal. How long have you had the guitar?

I just got the guitar two days ago. But yeah, I noticed that when I bend any string the bridge goes up a bit. Is that normal?
Yeah, that's completely normal. When you bend the string in one direction, you pull on your bridge and cause it to move. This throws the other strings out of tune by increasing their tension. It's like you're taking the load off one string and giving it to the others
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Last edited by RR3tran at Jun 28, 2010,
For those who are wondering about what guitar I have, I finally found a picture online. Apparently it's an Epiphone Spotlight http://media.photobucket.com/image/Epiphone%20spotlight/goldbonder/guitars/Epi-Spotlight-Amber-frt-ful.jpg I have these pickups though http://www.guitar-museum.com/uploads/guitar/40/15307-4.jpg
Last edited by Joshua1207 at Jul 1, 2010,
That looks exactly like a bridge from an American strat. It's a floating bridge. If it is, you can pop open the back and block the tremolo from floating so your pitch doesn't shift when you bend or put your palm on it.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by cdr_salamander
That looks exactly like a bridge from an American strat. It's a floating bridge. If it is, you can pop open the back and block the tremolo from floating so your pitch doesn't shift when you bend or put your palm on it.

But then I wouldn't be able to pull the bridge up?
It's just a personal preference. I have tremolos. I locked the one on my MIM strat back and I love it now. If you leave it floating, then it's not a problem your having, it's just how it's designed.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
No it would then be a fixed bridge. No whammy. Like I said, it's personal preference. If you never use a whammy bar then it makes sense to lock it back.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
Reading this thread is as painful as driving nails into my eyeballs!
Quote by The Dr!

+1. I felt obligated.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
His gear thing in his sig anybody??

Is this your guitar?

Fits description perfectly
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
I'd totally eat you.

Quote by Gorelord666
Banned because your avatar blew my mind.

Damn straight.
Quote by The Dr!

hahaha right?!?!
Quote by scrubzyful
His gear thing in his sig anybody??

Is this your guitar?

Fits description perfectly

Yeah, as I said on the other page I figured out what guitar I have. I've never seen one before so I didn't know what it was called.
Okay another problem now... I tuned my guitar down a full step yesterday but when I did that the bridge seemed to go down and I could pull it up or down, but when I tuned it back to normal, it is still pretty low but now I can pull it up but I can't push it down anymore. Anyone know how to fix that and what might of caused that?
(Not being a smart ass, just trying to teach a man to fish...)

Think about the relationship between the string tension on the top of the bridge, and the spring tension underneath. When you increase or decrease one side, it does something to the other, right?

Keeping that in mind observe the bridge plate in relation to the surface of the guitar. Could anything be stopping it from being pushed down?

Ever seen The Matrix? Think about how your adjustments (cause) impact the rest of the system (effect).
Quote by Ratraisin
(Not being a smart ass, just trying to teach a man to fish...)

Think about the relationship between the string tension on the top of the bridge, and the spring tension underneath. When you increase or decrease one side, it does something to the other, right?

Keeping that in mind observe the bridge plate in relation to the surface of the guitar. Could anything be stopping it from being pushed down?

Ever seen The Matrix? Think about how your adjustments (cause) impact the rest of the system (effect).

Well yeah, that's what I was thinking but now that its back in standard the bridge is still lower than before and it can't be pushed down anymore. I also broke my high e string when tunning back, so could that have a problem with it? I don't see why it would but eh.
Quote by Joshua1207
But then I wouldn't be able to pull the bridge up?

not necessarily, if ur string tension outways the spring tension, then it will begin to float, when it is floating, the tuning stability of every string relies on eachother, IE if one string is flat, and u tune it up, the other strings will tend to go a lil bit flat to deal with the extra tension from the first string, just adjust ur springs, and dont do ur bending thing on this guitar
Eh.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
sounds to me like your guitar is in dire need of a setup and maybe a extra spring in the back.

lol well at least I didn't spend much on it As soon as I can upgrade I'm done with Epiphones.
I guess the broken e string made a huge difference, just bought a new one, put it on and the bridge is back to normal. But damn is that a pain in the ass to put on new strings with that bridge, everything goes flat by almost a whole note I swear. Does that happen a lot with other floating bridges?
Last edited by Joshua1207 at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by Joshua1207
But damn is that a pain in the ass to put on new strings with that bridge, everything goes flat by almost a whole pitch I swear. Does that happen a lot with other floating bridges?

I freaking hate mine for that reason (Schaller FR). And they all do that. Once they are in, it's great, they stay that way all month.

Glad you worked out your situation though. It's easy to see how every little thing gets magnified with floaters.