Poll: Would it be?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would it be?
Yes, i wish i did it.
9 20%
**** no, it's still unlikely to make any money in the music business even if you are talented
25 56%
I would if i had the talent
5 11%
No, and I do have the talent
6 13%
Voters: 45.
If you had the choice to quit school, all sports, and any other activity aside from guitar, would you do it if you knew that all that practicing time would eventually make you as good as someone like joe satriani or steve vai? I haven't been considering this or anything, but i honestly feel that i'm talented enough (I'm not trying to be a **** here) to get to that level, I just don't have unlimited time to spend practicing. If your out of school, then the question is would you have done it. I don't see any real sense in that at all if you already have a fulltime job. I know there are a lot of really talented guitarists on this site who most likely don't devote all their time and effort on guitar, so I'm really asking people like them. If you suck or something then think of it as if you did have the talent. I'm actually curious about this, not just one of those I'm bored threads.
EDIT: poll fail, forgot to put up, no (without the talent)
EDIT 2: Rickyj's post made me forget to mention that I don't get straight Fs...i don't try as hard as i possibly can in school, but I'm a smart kid (As and Bs, again, not trying to be a ****).
Last edited by stratdud39 at Jun 28, 2010,
No. There's no way I'd give up a university education for that.

EDIT: Crap poll too.
MATTERHORN
Last edited by Doctor Matthews at Jun 28, 2010,
Do both. People like the ones you mentioned had school as well, and didn't play for fifteen hours a day - they just made every second they practiced count and really put everything they had into it. If you bust your ass, you can achieve that level of skill on an hour or two a day.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Do both. People like the ones you mentioned had school as well, and didn't play for fifteen hours a day - they just made every second they practiced count and really put everything they had into it. If you bust your ass, you can achieve that level of skill on an hour or two a day.

thanks for the advice
Quote by LeroyJenkins95

Reported

No, I like guitar as a hobby and indeed playing live but as a full time musician I would burn out.
Petrucci did shit loads of school, and he turned out okay.
Quote by LeroyJenkins95

Hmm, you're a knob.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Last edited by seemeel at Jun 28, 2010,
well i get f's and dont play sports or anything so you bet your as i would

Quote by strat0blaster

thats my problem... i would bust my ass while i practiced if i knew what the hell to practice. i always just end up improvising over backing tracks
if we werent on the year 2010 go for it, but the ''talented'' ones today are justin bieber and the jonas brothers so...
Quote by sporkman7
Actually, I think Steve Vai did

Hold on I'll call and ask him.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Hoffinator
No, because I feel that songwriting and good ideas are far more important than skill.

You're insinuating that it doesn't take hard work and practice to become a good songwriter?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
You're insinuating that it doesn't take hard work and practice to become a good songwriter?

Well, I think that most of the songwriting "skill" comes from your own ideas, and not practice. It takes hard work to get the songwriting just right, sure, but you don't need to quit school and think about it all day, every day.
Naw, I like the whole going to school and learning things and socializing with people. I hate summer because I am void of social contact, so i'm fine.

/nerd
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I wouldn't, mostly because playing guitar is only a hobby for me. I have no desire to turn it into a career. It's just something I do for fun.
No, I don't see any future in it really for me, and I enjoyed school, and prospects of a decent job way too much.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Fuck that shit. There's more to music than being able to play tight azz solos and do epik bendz!

I'd rather spend my music time studying composition than becoming really good at one instrument. I'm not a virtuoso, nor do I really desire to be, but I really don't have any problems with my guitar playing, and I'm as good as I need to be to satisfy my musical desires.
No, I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to make a living playing music, but the risk is just too much. Not to mention, you could always do both, do really good in school, spend a lot of time playing guitar when you can. Hell, 'Skunk' Baxter from Steely Dan is a great guitarist, AND is smart enough that he does codes for the U.S. missiles...
Even if you become a "master shredz god", who's to say that a record company would be remotly interested to hear you play scales all day?
No, I wouldn't give up my education because it means a lot more to me than guitar does now. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago I'd have a totally different mindset but I enjoy learning the subjects I do too much give them up .
To be honest, at least finish Year12 or the American equivalent or whatever it is. At least you'll have a decent base to fall back on.

I finished Year12 last year, and I am currently funding my music career by working fulltime, so that when I start working part-time and focus more on music, I will have enough money to sustain myself.

Realistically, most small/getting bigger bands have part-time jobs or something else to keep themselves alive. Think about it, recording/new gear/living expenses - they all add up and if all you have is guitar skills and no money, youre pretty much in a pickle. I think dropping *everything* is just too risky with not enough reward.