My brother asked me how he can get over his fear of being alone in the dark. I don't know what to tell him, because to tell the truth, I still get scared while being alone in the dark....

The dark itself don't scare me, being alone in the dark scares me. I'm assuming my brothers the same.

What should I tell him...and what can I do?
Quote by cpt_pimp
my last fail was breaking up with my gf.

that's going to suck for a while

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

Show him Alone in the Dark.

Then all he'll be able to do is laugh
Check out my band Disturbed
It's all psychological. There's nothing anyone can say or do to help him get over it. He has to do it himself.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Gaming threa-

Oh.
Carry on then.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
tell him he is safer in the dark cause any crazy people cant see him.
It's a difficult thing to overcome. I use to be terrified of the dark as a child, and even now that I'm an adult I'm still a bit afraid. It might take him some time to get rid of that fear

Whoa I think that's the first time I've ever called myself an adult. I feel old...
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by Zayrank

but then he cant see them either!
I used to be afraid of being in the dark, but then I pretty much gave up on life and now I don't really care about being alone in the dark, because whatever or whoever is out there and wants to kill me would just put me out of my misery.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by BeastlyBassist
Gaming threa-

Oh.
Carry on then.

Thats what I thought :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Zayrank

oh, well that makes us both feel comfortable, lol.
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

put some really horrid pictures on the wall that will disgust him if the lights are on. Or, wait for him to grow up and he will get over it himself.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by dudetheman
I used to be afraid of being in the dark, but then I pretty much gave up on life and now I don't really care about being alone in the dark, because whatever or whoever is out there and wants to kill me would just put me out of my misery.

On topic, you should just gradually get him used to it being dark. If he sleeps with the light on, buy a lower wattage bulb for that light. After that, get a night light. Then, see if he can sleep in the dark.
I appreciate most of the responses. just plz keep in mind that its not as much of being in the dark as being ALONE in the dark.
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

Quote by StewieSwan
Show him Alone in the Dark.

Then all he'll be able to do is laugh

LMAO!!! that sucked ass lol

tell him to sit alone in a dark room for about 20 minutes.

actually what i do occasionally just because its fun and scary as hell is i turn every light off in my room except the light on my amp and i play black sabbaths title track. ****in scary as hell ur eyes play tricks on you and shit. that, and the lyrics and the rain in the beginning
Everyone starts out scared of things they don't know or aren't aware of. Then we become stronger and understand that life and how long we're alive isn't dictated by things like that, and is just as fragile regardless of our surroundings.

It's just understanding that comes with time. If you really want to help, assure him and be supportive, and he'll be comfortable enough to grow strong. Other than that, fear isn't something you can erase for someone - even if you were able to magically take his fear of the dark away, it would only be replaced by something else for him to fear if he's not strong enough.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I found that the easiest way was to just do it.

As soon as you figure out that there's nothing that's gonna jump out at you (save that for later ) it's really not that big of a deal. Don't force him to do it though. That would definitely do more harm than good.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
honestly, if it can be afforded, the best thing might just be to see a psychiatrist.
EDIT:
Quote by popeye100
he's 17

this makes me even more lenient to the psychiatrist.
Last edited by stratdud39 at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by dudetheman

Oh dear god, you spammed the Relationship Thread with this crap and now you're doing it here. Get the **** over yourself.

On topic, how old is your brother? If he's a young 'un let him have a night light, then when he's asleep turn it off. It'll probably wake him the first few times but I think eventualy he'll get used to waking up in the dark and having to get to sleep in the dark and sooner or later the fear will die down a bit
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
Quote by Count Seanula
Oh dear god, you spammed the Relationship Thread with this crap and now you're doing it here. Get the **** over yourself.

On topic, how old is your brother? If he's a young 'un let him have a night light, then when he's asleep turn it off. It'll probably wake him the first few times but I think eventualy he'll get used to waking up in the dark and having to get to sleep in the dark and sooner or later the fear will die down a bit

he's 17
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

Quote by BeastlyBassist
Gaming threa-

Oh.
Carry on then.

Quote by dudetheman

I don't like you.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Oh well sack my idea then. At that age probably a psychiatrist is the best option.
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
Being alone in the dark is good, as soon as you turn on the lights all the scary shit comes in your direction!
Quote by Zayrank

Yeah, but the monsters can. lol

But seriously, when I turn off the lights in the basement I STILL haul ass out of there.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Yeah, but the monsters can. lol

But seriously, when I turn off the lights in the basement I STILL haul ass out of there.

In my experience, it's the people that don't look bad at all who end up being the monsters.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you