My Birthday is in a couple Weeks and im gettting a new acoustic. Im upgrading From an old epiphone by gibson pr400 And ive narrowed the ones i want to 2 guitars.

this
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-X-Series-DX1AE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105927073-i1535406.gc

or this
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-The-Original-S6-Acoustic-Guitar-104069091-i1147556.gc

Im leanin towards the martin right now. is it the right choice.
Why pluck just one string when you can...
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Last edited by ledhead205 at Jun 28, 2010,
The first link is a dead link - you need to make it into one single line.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Martins are really, really nice dude.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
i thought so. how are the electronics in them.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL SEAGULL

Absolutely wonderful guitars. You can absolutely, without a doubt NOT go wrong with one.

I won't deny that Martins are good guitars....just not the X series. They're by no means the worst guitars on the market, but are, IMO, far inferior to a considerable amount of others. Martins above the X series, well, we have a whole different discussion. But if I were to choose between X series Martin and a Seagull, I'd take the Seagull in half a heartbeat.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jun 28, 2010,
Whichever one you personally like best is the right guitar.

Now, to play devil's advocate a minute: the Martin has HPL back and sides, which isn't so much conventional wood as "a paper product". Like wood, the stuff can be damaged by extreme temperature or humidity changes; but unlike solid wood or conventional laminates, it's often irreparable. On the flip side, the Seagull has a cedar top, which is softer and scratches more easily than the Martin's spruce. Willie Nelson and Glen Hansard both play cedar-topped guitars, to give you a general idea. Nothing you need to worry about if you take proper care of the instrument, of course.

Between those two, I'd personally take the Seagull any day. I think they're great guitars, period -- no qualification needed. The higher-end Martins are a different story, but as far as I'm concerned, my Seagull holds up favorably to my dad's D-18. You can't really say one's better and one's worse; they're just two completely different guitars.
i guess i gotta go play em at guitar center soon. My dad thinks i should get the martin because he sees all these people with martins on tv but they most likely have the high end martins. I wanted to get the seagull but dad saw there was a 500 dollar martin in guitar center Magizene. But ive heard good things about the seagull. I really need a new one. I still have my LIke literally 20-22 Year old epiphone pr400 It has the old print at the top so it says epiphone by gibson. The g string tunning key broke off and it has pretty high action. What about the Seagull entorage cw
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Entourage-CW-Black-GT-QIT-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105788004-i1535471.gc
cause i sorta want to be able to plug into my friend's church's PA system.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Play the guitars before buying them. The last seagull you picked out is a nice guitar but has a wider neck than a standard acoustic neck, which isn't a bad thing, many people rather like that, but it's something you'll have to find out if you like before purchasing, and usually takes a little bit of time to accustom to.

I've tried out that Martin, I didn't care for it. Would it sound just fine if you went out a got it right now? Yep. It would get you by and no body would be commenting on how crappy your acoustic sounds. but those seagulls to me sound richer and have great build quality. The electronics on them are decent too. They're good quality guitars that give you more bang for the buck imo.

Go to the store, try out every guitar in your price range, pick what's best for you.

Here's some really good guitars too from zzounds. They have blemished items over there, which means a tiny scratch that's barely noticeable, and they mark them down quite a bit for that reason. Both of these if you get a chance to play them in the store, go for it and order them online for a nice discount. The Yamaha is up there with the first seagull you listed, and very popular around here, the guild is quality too, looks snazzy, all solid wood which is really what you want in an acoustic, and has good electronics + a case though it might be a little bit over your price range, it would be a guitar you would never grow out of and will continually sound better as it ages thanks to the solid wood construction.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GLD3810356
http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMFGX730SC
i much prefer the seagull of the two. tell your dad that the all-solid martins aren't really the same thing as the x series. any martin with an x in the name is made from their HPL, and what obeythepenguin says is so true. also i've been told by a couple luthiers that if that HPL cracks, it cannot be fixed.

those two guitars RoughDraft274 lists are good. if i hadn't just bought a guitar and laid away another, i'd snap up that guild GAD-30pce. good deal, great guitar, and unlike the rest in this thread, it's all solid wood. it's not a dread, but then i can't play a dread, and i really love the sound of the GAD-30's i've tried. or you could get a guild GAD-25 and add a pickup later or get a soundhole pickup.
Quote by ledhead205
My dad thinks i should get the martin because he sees all these people with martins on tv

Calmly explain to your dad that while high end Martins can be really great guitars, inexpensive Martins (and a $500 Martin is a very inexpensive Martin) tend to be nothing special. They're not garbage, but neither would I typically recommend a $500 Martin over a $500 Seagull.

Martin more or less figures, "We'll offer a few cheap models. They won't be quite as good as some of the competition, but they'll be basically decent and they'll wear the Martin name. So semi-clueless buyers who only know that lots of performers on tv use Martins, will figure they ought to buy these cheap-o Martins." It's a pretty smart marketing move on Martin's part. Sure, one could argue that it diminishes the brand, and in the long run will wind up hurting Martin's bottom line. But maybe it won't, and even if it does, that's the long run. Few companies pay as much attention to the long run, as to the short and intermediate run.

Don't get me wrong - if you had $2000 to spend on a guitar, a Martin might be an excellent choice. Even at under $1000, a nice used Martin D-16GT is a very strong contender. But with under $500, 9 out of 10 people would probably be better off with a Seagull S6 Original, or a Yamaha FG-730S, or any of several other choices.
--
Michael
I can't believe neither patticake nor I has mentioned Blueridge yet... very Martin-like sound, and all solid wood IIRC. Supposed to be great guitars if anyone nearby carries them.

What happened? We used to be so predictable...
i like the martin from the pics, but you gotta go check them out and see which one feels better... in fact i ended up with a fender acoustic, just because it felt better and sounded better to me.
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
i might get the seagull. I might get the entourage cw if i like it.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Last edited by ledhead205 at Jun 28, 2010,
I REALLY like that Entourage you linked to. Had no idea Seagull released a black guitar!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i was pretty much asleep when i posted, and because he linked to gc, my sleeping brain decided that meant he was going there in person - and gc doesn't carry blueridge

blueridge are among my favorites at any price, and in this range, you just can't beat a blueridge br-140 if you're looking for a dread that's all solid wood with plenty of bass response and an open balanced sound. i've played several of nearly every blueridge, and i love 'em.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/35952

Quote by obeythepenguin
I can't believe neither patticake nor I has mentioned Blueridge yet... very Martin-like sound, and all solid wood IIRC. Supposed to be great guitars if anyone nearby carries them.

What happened? We used to be so predictable...
i think im gonna get the entourage. I gotta save up 50 more bucks than what i thought though.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
If you can get it used, you won't need to save up extra $$ (and you might be able to get it with electronics!)
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
^^ The Entourage sunburst is right in your range. The black one can't have come out more than a week or two ago; it's not even listed on their homepage yet. Damn, those Godin guys have been busy.
Just remember that GC has sales every month. You should be able to get the Seagull for at least 10% off (and sometimes 15-20%).
well if i cant get the entourage im getting the original s6
can you put a pick up in it.

Yeah i get coupouns and stuff by email. But like arent there some days where like any purchase over 200 is like 10 percent off.

By the way my birthday is mid august.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Last edited by ledhead205 at Jun 29, 2010,
cool i might just get the original and then a pick up if i cant get the entourage cw.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Quote by ledhead205
i think im gonna get the entourage.

Just out of curiosity, what is it that causes you to prefer the Entourage series over an S6?
--
Michael
i love the original s6

btw, there's a gc fourth of july sale coming = 15% off.

Quote by ledhead205
well if i cant get the entourage im getting the original s6
can you put a pick up in it.

Yeah i get coupouns and stuff by email. But like arent there some days where like any purchase over 200 is like 10 percent off.

By the way my birthday is mid august.
i may be looking for a pr400 if it's not to high ,im looking at one now.but i don't know how junky it is,he is sending me a picture of his if you would like to email me one of your's i'll look it might be the one im looking for i need it for parts for mine mmbh3@peoplepc.com
Last edited by genespot2 at May 24, 2011,
i may be looking for a pr400 if it's not to high ,im looking at one now.but i don't know how junky it is,he is sending me a picture of his if you would like to email me one of your's i'll look it might be the one im looking for i need it for parts for mine mmbh3@peoplepc.com