Hey guys got a quick question. What kind of pickup combo would you recommend for an 80s metal type sound. I really love the sound of the Scorpions and Randy Rhoads in Quiet Riot but I want a pickup that can also play clean tones similar to Metallicas clean tones (Welcome Home Sanitarium, One, etc). I've heard about the Dimarzio Super Distortion, but just based on the name is seems like a one trick pony. Unless you guys have any input on it.

But what would you recommend for both the neck and bridge positions?
Guitars:
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Chorus
EHX Small Stone Phaser
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Can't go wrong with the EMG 81/85 combo. Then you can 18v mod it for a little more headroom/clarity. Make sure you have room for a battery or two in there though.
Quote by redick4ulous
Hey guys got a quick question. What kind of pickup combo would you recommend for an 80s metal type sound. I really love the sound of the Scorpions and Randy Rhoads in Quiet Riot but I want a pickup that can also play clean tones similar to Metallicas clean tones (Welcome Home Sanitarium, One, etc). I've heard about the Dimarzio Super Distortion, but just based on the name is seems like a one trick pony. Unless you guys have any input on it.

But what would you recommend for both the neck and bridge positions?

Actually the Super Distortion is a great pickup for Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. I have one in my Les Paul and it sounds great. Its paired with an Air Norton (which might not be your cup of tea), which also has a nice unique sound.

I can't really recommend the EMG 81/85 combo though...those pickups have never sounded good to my ears.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Super Distortion bridge, Breed neck...sorted.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by coolstoryangus
Dudes stop suggestings neck pickups. 80s metal does away with that sort of thing haha

Please...be joking...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
haha thanks for the input. The Breed pickup seems interesting also. Does anyone else have any experience with it? And what about Seymour Duncan pickups? I remember hearing they made one that you pretty much can't go wrong with.
Guitars:
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Chorus
EHX Small Stone Phaser
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by redick4ulous
haha thanks for the input. The Breed pickup seems interesting also. Does anyone else have any experience with it? And what about Seymour Duncan pickups? I remember hearing they made one that you pretty much can't go wrong with.

No experience with SDs, but lots of people swear by them.

Personally, I swear by DiMarzios...though my vision on pickups is rather limited (my first pickup replacement was DiMarzios, and I fell in love...its all I'll use now :P).

Speaking of DiMarzios, if you like the tone of the Air Norton you should check out the Liquifire...its John Petrucci's tweaked Air Norton. The only problem with the Liquifire is that the clip on DiMarzio's site isn't done with a Liquifire...your best bet would be to listen to an Air Norton.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by coolstoryangus
Well yeah. But alot of "80s metal" acts kept it simple

Have you seen music videos from the 80s?
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Have you seen music videos from the 80s?

Are you seriously trying to debate the fact that alot of 80s guys didnt play guitars with a single humbucker in the bridge?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Are you seriously trying to debate the fact that alot of 80s guys didnt play guitars with a single humbucker in the bridge?

...Yes.
Quote by rmr024

Yeah and i could probably list double that amount that did play single humbucker guitars. I'm not saying THEY ALL DID. lol Way to take things out of proportion.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Yeah and i could probably list double that amount that did play single humbucker guitars. I'm not saying THEY ALL DID. lol Way to take things out of proportion.

I'm just saying...the guitarists and bands he listed tended to play 2 humbucker guitars...hence the recommendations for neck pups...

...Also, he asked for neck pickups...
Quote by rmr024

If you are interested, I have an Air Norton and a D-Sonic (f-spaced) that I have for sale.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
I'd recomend seymour duncan jb/59, but I've never heard them in mahogany. Worth checking out if you buy the pickups used, though.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Quote by coolstoryangus
Dudes stop suggestings neck pickups. 80s metal does away with that sort of thing haha

Uh...go listen to some dave murray solo's from iron maiden..and get back on your findings
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
how easy are they to install? my dad has soldered before so he could help me out, but is there much more to it or is it just soldering the wires?
Guitars:
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Chorus
EHX Small Stone Phaser
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by redick4ulous
how easy are they to install? my dad has soldered before so he could help me out, but is there much more to it or is it just soldering the wires?

link

here you go
i'm actually working on getting some money to buy some new pickups for my guitar, i have never done it before, but this should be good enough to guide me through it, and you too
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
I just threw a Dimarzio PAF Pro in my son's Ibanez and it sounds amazing in there. Just got done playing a little Ratt Round and Round for him and it sounds really good.
Duncan Distortion all the way. Not good for all out thrash metal imo but if you are tuned in standard and doing a lot of leads and muted bar chords ala scorpions this is the pickup for you. It is not necessarily a one trick pony either, sounds great clean when you split it.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Quote by redick4ulous

If your dad knows how to solder you're good. Just print up a wiring diagram.
Quote by rmr024