Here are the links to each acoustic-electric.

Takamine G Series 340C ($349)

Takamine G Series EG440C NEX ($379)

Takamine G Series EG440SC NEX ($429)

Or I could even get just an acoustic version of #2, at a price of $299.
Takamine G340SC

I have an amp, but not superb. It's a $100 one I use for my Ibanez electric. Perhaps it'll sound good enough?

All I know is that the last 2 have solid spruce top as opposed to the 1st one having just a spruce top. I read reviews saying this gives the guitar a more crisp, bold sound. Is there anything else I need to know about the 3? I'm a beginner but learning quickly, so maybe in a few months to a year I'll be intermediate. I am not currently taking lessons, but I did last year.

Any guitar pros out there wanna help me out? I'd like to purchase one of these Takamine's this week or next week. Thanks!
Last edited by MusicEnthusiast at Jun 28, 2010,
I'd go give them a play at *insert a nearby Takamine distributor here* and decide which one you like best. The last one is the only one on your list with a solid top though, so if you MUST have one of those three guitars, then get the EG440SC NEX. Most expensive, definitely the best tone.

Also, look used. The best value in the guitar world is a used one.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thanks for pointing out my last link was the only one with solid spruce.

I just updated my original post with a solid spruce top of the 2nd guitar, but not an acoustic electric.

Maybe my concern is that I shouldn't buy an electric acoustic if I only use a $100 amp for my Ibanez electric. So maybe just an acoustic would be best?

Just for info, I would use an amp, but maybe only half the time.
Well it would definitely be nice to have an acoustic electric if the situation arose that you had a gig and needed one. That and you can hit up open mic nights if you have one. However, if you don't see yourself doing either of those things in the very foreseeable future, then I'd advise you to get a pure acoustic. You'll get a better guitar for the money.

Oh and keep in mind acoustic-electric doesn't mean it acts as both an acoustic AND electric. It just means that you can plug it into an acoustic amp or to a PA system to amplify the sound of an acoustic guitar.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jun 28, 2010,
Funny you mentioned open mic nights, I am playing in one this Wednesday night. So I guess an acoustic electric would best suit my needs. I figured it would be a great buy nonetheless. And yes I'm aware that an acoustic electric merely amplifies the acoustic sound.

Does an amp type matter for an acoustic electric? Like my RG20 Raven I use for my Ibanez... it's cheap but it works.

Here's a link to it.
RG20 Raven

Thanks for your help! Definitely appreciate it.
Last edited by MusicEnthusiast at Jun 28, 2010,
Yes, it very much matters. If you play an acoustic through the clean channel on your electric amp, it won't necessarily be awful, but it definitely won't sound good.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Well I don't have an acoustic electric amp... and it would be at least another $150 added to a $429 guitar. Maybe if I save a little more I could manage, but I was only wanting to spend only so much... maybe $450 tops.

Is an electric acoustic highly encouraged when playing live at open mics? Or could I get away with just an acoustic?
what's with only takamines? why buy by brand rather than the guitar you actually like?

you can get a great solid top yamaha, blueridge or seagull for the same price. if you shop, you may pull of an all solid recording king. used you could probably find an all solid seagull or something else you'd really like. try 'em in person if you can - if you can't, buy from a store with a good return policy just in case...
Thanks for the tip. Are you referring to acoustic electrics or just acoustics? That's basically the only reason why I'm stuck with deciding. I only mentioned Takamine's cause I've heard they're amazing guitars for the prices.
i haven't found takamine to be amazing for the price. i'd say seagulls, guild GADS, the yamaha FG and L series and blueridge guitars are amazing for the price. at under $500, these are all very good sounding guitars and great bang for the buck. the lower priced taks aren't bad guitars, but a lot of them have a little less life to their sound, which i find disappointing compared to the brands i listed.
Hmm, thanks for sharing your info!

Tomorrow I am going to my local guitar center and will play almost everything to get an idea of what I like. That's the most important.

One last question: when you say "a lot of them have a little less life to their sound", does that mean the sound (like in a Takamine) deteriorate over time soon than others, like you mentioned?
remember that gc has their 15% off sale this weekend - seagull always takes part in those.

i mean that a lot of cheaper takamines have less presence in their tone. i don't know how to define it better, but they sound a little dead to me, and to others i've talked to or blind tested.

btw, you won't find blueridge at gc, but if you can find some locally, they sound wonderful. gc will probably have the yamaha fg730s, seagull original s6, yamaha fgx730sc (if they'll give you a break, you might be able to score this acoustic electric version of the fg730). you might also ask about one of these http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG-Series-FGX720SCA-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=513387 which does fall in your price range, and sounds almost as good as the 730.

Quote by MusicEnthusiast
Hmm, thanks for sharing your info!

Tomorrow I am going to my local guitar center and will play almost everything to get an idea of what I like. That's the most important.

One last question: when you say "a lot of them have a little less life to their sound", does that mean the sound (like in a Takamine) deteriorate over time soon than others, like you mentioned?