Hello UG. Its my birthday and my girlfriend is dead set on getting me something for my birthday so I decided I would take a look at some cheap amps since I recently had to sell my horrid Crate GX-15. I have heard a lot of good things about Orange amps and decided to take a look at them since I have been wanting to get a tube amp. I the Orange Crush CR12L but I cant find any reviews on it any where so I here to see if any of you guys have any experience with this amp and if it is any better than the Peavey Vypyr 15. I assume since its a tube amp it would most likely have better tone quality than the peavey vypyr but it will be a while before I can get any decent effect pedals so will this amp work good for metal and alternative metal? Also me and a friend will be starting a band soon so would I be able to mic this amp and still get a good sound for small gigs?

If you have some an amp to tell me about please keep in mind that I want to keep it under $100 if at all possible.
Also please no one suggest a Line 6 Spider, I all ready tried them and find the vypyr to be its superior.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Jun 28, 2010,
The Orange Crush series arent tube. They are pretty good amps, but I'd take a Vypyr over a Crush.
Fender Champion 600 + Tube Screamer = Eargasm.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Hello UG. Its my birthday and my girlfriend is dead set on getting me something for my birthday so I decided I would take a look at some cheap amps since I recently had to sell my horrid Crate GX-15. I have heard a lot of good things about Orange amps and decided to take a look at them since I have been wanting to get a tube amp. I the Orange Crush CR12L but I cant find any reviews on it any where so I here to see if any of you guys have any experience with this amp and if it is any better than the Peavey Vypyr 15. I assume since its a tube amp it would most likely have better tone quality than the peavey vypyr but it will be a while before I can get any decent effect pedals so will this amp work good for metal and alternative metal? Also me and a friend will be starting a band soon so would I be able to mic this amp and still get a good sound for small gigs?

If you have some an amp to tell me about please keep in mind that I want to keep it under $100 if at all possible.
Also please no one suggest a Line 6 Spider, I all ready tried them and find the vypyr to be its superior.

Tube isn't always better than solid state. /bandwagon

I don't know much about the Orange Crush amp, except that it is not tube. Also I don't think that it can achieve the metal toanz, so the Peavey Vypyr is the better choice.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Orange-Amplifiers-Crush-PiX-Series-CR12L-12W-1x6-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=424054

Its marketed as a Tube Combo Amp.

@ Guitarbaddie - I know tube is not better or worse than solidstate but at this price range I just assumed the tube would have a better sound. But another concern is that I plan to get some active pickups and i hear a lot about how actives tend to get sound clipping through solid states amps so this was a concern. I tried doing more research on this but I could not find much information on this issue between active's and solidstate amps so I was not sure.

@BrokenDstring - Thanks but thats just a little bit out of the price range, also i should have mentioned that I do not like fender amps but thanks for the suggestion.
Go vypyr, I think there is also another line of vypyr's with tubes, I think.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by Darkdevil725
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Orange-Amplifiers-Crush-PiX-Series-CR12L-12W-1x6-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=424054

Its marketed as a Tube Combo Amp.

@ Guitarbaddie - I know tube is not better or worse than solidstate but at this price range I just assumed the tube would have a better sound. But another concern is that I plan to get some active pickups and i hear a lot about how actives tend to get sound clipping through solid states amps so this was a concern. I tried doing more research on this but I could not find much information on this issue between active's and solidstate amps so I was not sure.

@BrokenDstring - Thanks but thats just a little bit out of the price range, also i should have mentioned that I do not like fender amps but thanks for the suggestion.

It shouldn't be marketed as a tube combo amp

Personally, I think you should consider solid state over tube if your price range is only $100. Also, look up some more info about active PUPs. I don't know much about them myself, but I know that they won't make a cheap amp sound better.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
It shouldn't be marketed as a tube combo amp

Personally, I think you should consider solid state over tube if your price range is only $100. Also, look up some more info about active PUPs. I don't know much about them myself, but I know that they won't make a cheap amp sound better.

Well I am not getting them to make a cheap amp sound better, I am getting them cause I like how they sound. I found some Dragonfire active pickups that just seem to fit the sound I want just a little better than EMGs.

So everyone is pretty much agreed that the Vyppyr 15 would be better than the Orange Crush CR12L?
Quote by Darkdevil725
Well I am not getting them to make a cheap amp sound better, I am getting them cause I like how they sound. I found some Dragonfire active pickups that just seem to fit the sound I want just a little better than EMGs.

That's fine.

As far as the price range.

You could try Roland Cube amps.

Peavey Vypyr, Line 6 Spider, not many options at this price range.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Orange Crush is NOT a tube amp! I own one so I should know. Mind that it is a practice amp which means that its purpose is home playing. It has nice cleans but only for home playing. You cant take this amp to a rehearsal with a band. The overdrive is very bad. You wont get any decent metal out of it unless you use a pedal, but this amp doesnt like distorsion pedals as well. I keep this amp for home praciticing only. You will hardly find a tube amp at a price range of 100$ and even if you do dont expect much. I suggest that you save a little money an get a Roland cube (cube 15 or even a micro cube). They are way more versatile and better sounding.
Well thanks for all the help everyone, I will just ignore those oranges and take some time to decide between the Peavey and the Roland.

p.s. The Game, you just lost it.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Well thanks for all the help everyone, I will just ignore those oranges and take some time to decide between the Peavey and the Roland.

p.s. The Game, you just lost it.

I think you would enjoy the Roland more, also, gtfo newfag.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90