Page 1 of 2
Hmmm..I'm thinking of putting of installing a set of new pups on my guitar..I've been looking at dimarzio's so far,but I see that BKP's get a lot of positive reviews and comments..but I hear they cost a lot,so are they worth the extra $$$ ?
those reviews you read, those determine the value that you are looking for.

you are just going to get more reviews by asking this question :P

if you get the high output pickups, the character your guitar has will be lessened, so if you have a great sounding body/neck wood, maybe look into lower output ones.
Quote by iampeter
those reviews you read, those determine the value that you are looking for.

you are just going to get more reviews by asking this question :P

if you get the high output pickups, the character your guitar has will be lessened, so if you have a great sounding body/neck wood, maybe look into lower output ones.

well that's technically true. no complaints there. it's a different interaction then with cooler pickups. my hollowbody spruce still sounds like a hollowbody spruce even with warpigs but ya...definitely not the same interaction you'd hear with cooler pickups.

bkp's are worth the money but there are cheaper american winders doing as good of a job if not better. also more expensive ones.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
hmm..most of those reviews seem childish..10 out of 10 to everything

and the certain pup I'm looking at is the painkiller,but sadly I didn't see any proffesional reviews for that yet
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror

bkp's are worth the money but there are cheaper american winders doing as good of a job if not better. also more expensive ones.

can you please name a few?
Quote by archenemyfan
can you please name a few?

bgpickups and manliusguitars are cheaper

wcrpickups is more expensive

wolfetone
zhangbucker
motorcity
riogrande

are in the same range
check out these companies

rockmonkey pickups (the owner has an UG account and gives 10% discount to UGers)
wizard pickups
wolfetone pickups
wbpickups

If u want really cheap but good pickups (as good as Seymour duncans and dimarzios)
check out
Irongear pickups
Tonerider pickups
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
big thanks to holycow and acoustic mirror,I can spend about max 350 on both pups(better if it is lower),but all these other companies like rockmonkey,wizard,motorcity and wolfetone are very reasonably priced..whats the best brand if I'm willing to spend about 140 each?

and I need high output pups BTW..
wolfetone makes the best a2 vintage mid hot pickups i've heard
rockmonkey is supposed to have a great hot output humbucker
i've got a motorcity nuke on order.

imo though bkp makes the best high output pickups hands down.
depends
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
@ dave..umm what depends?the best brand?

@ al112987..thankyou very much,that was indeed helpful..

hmm..what about rockmonkey pups?anyone
Yes. I've tried dozens of boutique pickup companies and Bareknuckle is hands down the best in my opinion. Warmth, clarity, and sustain for days.

I use the Bareknuckle Mule in the neck and Warpig in the bridge of my handmade dragonburst LP and the difference between them and an industry standard like Dimarzio is stunning.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by archenemyfan

@ al112987..thankyou very much,that was indeed helpful..

hmm..what about rockmonkey pups?anyone
never tried a rock monkey, but a lot of people like (in addition to BKP) Motor City and WCR for high output pickups.

Look at the Motor City Afwayu and WCR Iron Mans. Also, depending on your amp and guitar, you may not necessarily want something that is too high in output. Especially if you like your gain to come mostly from your amp. If you use something like a Peavey 5150, for example, that already has enough gain on tap by itself, you may like the character and response of a lower output humbucker. If so consider more moderate output pickups like the WCR Fillmore set, and American Steele sets. The WCRs will run you to the top of your budget, but they are some of the best in the business. Imo, superior to Bareknuckles, but ymmv.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 28, 2010,
bareknuckles make great high output pickups. rockmonkey is nice aswell. e-mail them and tell them what type of sound u are looking for. their customer service is really good. Really u wont be dissapointed with any of them, whichever one u go with.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by archenemyfan

various things, the tone you're after, where you live (they're the best value in the UK, pretty much, or at least in the UK a lot of the other stuff is very dear), etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
various things, the tone you're after, where you live (they're the best value in the UK, pretty much, or at least in the UK a lot of the other stuff is very dear), etc.

hmm...I have two options..either get them from switzerland or get them from the USA

the tone..not very warm,sharp attack,well defined low end( I really dont know how to describe it
i meant more whether you were after high output or low output, bkp seem to be regarded better for their higher output pickups (though plenty of people also like their lower output pickups too).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i meant more whether you were after high output or low output, bkp seem to be regarded better for their higher output pickups (though plenty of people also like their lower output pickups too).

yeah,I'm after a high output pickup..
Quote by Dave_Mc

im a massive lover of their single coil's
oh..and hey dave!
Quote by godofshred
im a massive lover of their single coil's
oh..and hey dave!

yo nick

i thought you liked dimarzios?

(i haven't tried their singles)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha, i love my dimarzio's but im a big BKP lover too.
Tim picked out my mothers milk for me..it strangely 'works' with the EVO in the bridge of my strat...dont ask me why haha!
buckers wise..nailbombs and miracles are great to me. you tried the warpig?
alright,so can someone answer the question as to from where I should get them?

alright,now I'm convinced that I'm getting a set of BKP's,I just dont know which one to choose.I mainly play progressive rock/metal and metal(as a whole)so i need a pickup that has a high output,but doesnt sound muddy,has a sharp attack and well defined low end if you can understand what I mean..

thanks
Quote by godofshred
tim directly at BKP..go on the site and there is a shop
email him this parra ^ and he will advise you..id personally say nailbomb bridge, coldsweat alnico V neck

thanks pal

There pickups are worth the money, and if you don't like them, they have a high resale value and lots of people want em.

This is a vid of some BK Nailbombs, which this vid will melt your face off with the awesomeness, thank god the guitarist is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkMxJiCjTU&feature=related
Quote by archenemyfan
Man that was really amazing..I sub'd to him

Oh wait..I watched it to check out the pickups right???

Yeah, that video does that to everyone, I love the first comment "You just made every woman within a 10 mile radius moist."

They are good pickups, and Youtube's quality sucks ass, so I think it's impressive that he kept a great tone using Youtube. Just goes to show you how good BK's are.

There are other pickups, Swineshead pickups are awesome, American made too, last time I visited the site though (about 5 months ago) the guy was taking a break from winding those pickups, I'm sure he's back on it though, there in very high demand.
man I remember that video. that was when I thought to myself HOLLLLY CRAP I LOVE GAIN
Quote by AcousticMirror
well that's technically true. no complaints there. it's a different interaction then with cooler pickups. my hollowbody spruce still sounds like a hollowbody spruce even with warpigs but ya...definitely not the same interaction you'd hear with cooler pickups.

i saw your posts about Bryan Gunsher and it got me thinking about pickups again. its too bad my guitar is made of agathis (which steers me if i want a upgrade find high output or even EMGs). bg pickups are priced very well against SDs.

im curious to how different it would sound tho with nice passive pickups but i wouldn't want any awful tones to mix in(assuming there is any...)

to TS, may i ask, can you hear the differences from watching pickup videos on the net?

to me they all sound like guitars and i can't hear any differences i wouldn't even be able to make a comparison
brian makes a hell of a pickup. for 75 bucks not bad at all. he doesn't have crazy hi output offerings yet but the hellabucker gives a nailbomb a run for its money.
Quote by godofshred
haha, i love my dimarzio's but im a big BKP lover too.
Tim picked out my mothers milk for me..it strangely 'works' with the EVO in the bridge of my strat...dont ask me why haha!
buckers wise..nailbombs and miracles are great to me. you tried the warpig?

hehe

nah i've only tried the miracle man bridge and cold sweat neck

EDIT: swinesheads are UK-made (like BKPs), but they've stopped trading i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by iampeter
i

to TS, may i ask, can you hear the differences from watching pickup videos on the net?

to me they all sound like guitars and i can't hear any differences i wouldn't even be able to make a comparison

hmm,after listening to some of samples that were on the link that al112987 posted,I think I can say that I hear a difference between industry standards like SD and BKP,but between all those boutique handmade pups,i don't hear much of a difference

that's why I have to depend on UG pup experts..but I haven't seen mrfibble though,i would like to hear his opinion too
from what i remember i don't think he's too fussed on bkps
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by archenemyfan
hmm,after listening to some of samples that were on the link that al112987 posted,I think I can say that I hear a difference between industry standards like SD and BKP,but between all those boutique handmade pups,i don't hear much of a difference

that's why I have to depend on UG pup experts..but I haven't seen mrfibble though,i would like to hear his opinion too

im happy that you can tell the difference, i assume i can only hear them in person :|

in the long run ill probably get a higher end guitar with better pickups, but i wouldn't mind keeping my h-50 playable too as a side/backup
Quote by iampeter
im happy that you can tell the difference, i assume i can only hear them in person :|

in the long run ill probably get a higher end guitar with better pickups, but i wouldn't mind keeping my h-50 playable too as a side/backup

except for anderson or suhr I don't really like the stock pickups in any of the big box producers. they all get changed.
Quote by archenemyfan

I think there is the problem with too much studio processing compared to something like these comparisons, which are lower quality, but more raw and differences are much more apparent.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/9033-mlp-guitar-pickup-sound-reference-guide.html

Also, the other problem with the James Lugo stuff is that its too hard to compare apples to apples sometimes. The Friedman kitchen sink provides great sounds but honestly, they tend to overshadow some subtleties when you're comparing a bunch of pickups that are not all too different from each other. The Zhangbuckers, Throbaks, Blackbelts, Burstbuckers Wolfetones, Darkbursts, Holmes and Godwood. are all extremely similar. They're basically all PAF copies, so they all have the same kind of character. The only pickups that REALLY stand out as hugely different from the rest of the pack are the Iron Man, Afwayu, JB and 30k. For example, the Iron Man REALLY push the front end of the amps and with the down-tuned playing using the Diezel Herbert, you can really hear the low end staying tight and intact compared to something like the Wolfetone or Holmes on the last parts of each clip. Here is my suggestion when listening to the clips...

0) Use headphones, and use good headphones.
1) The Brown Eye section is not too revealing you can tell slight difference during the riffing
2) The Classic 45 stuff is better because the playing is more dynamic, there are more leads, more bends and variances in attack. Imo, pickups like the Holmes and Wolfetone really hold up well here. Great attack, great musical top end and great harmonics from both pickups.
3) The DRRI probably gives you the most glaring differences between the pickups. But its hard to really compare because you have to switch from clip to clip and can't go back and forth between pickups. Its sort of annoying but that's just how it goes sometimes...
4) Hairy Brown Eye: essentially worthless, everything starts to sound the same with too much gain and too much fatness, but certain pickups start to get muddy, others do not.
5) Diezel Herbert, again, some pickups get REALLY muddy with this one while others hold together better.

Those are the things that I look for when listening to those. Happy tone hunting.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 28, 2010,
big thanks to al112987,I'll take a look at it

I just looked at the WCR website,and two ironman pups will actually cost me less than two nailbombs..

what do you guys think?
Page 1 of 2